Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Third Day / Banff /Lake Louise
Lens: 12-24 Camera: k-20 Photo Location: Banff Alberta ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Jimbo, 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM

I covered a lot of ground this day trying maybe too many locations. A lot of lake were still frozen over so I looked for small pond with interesting shore lines. Here is a few from day three. JIM

Views: 1,410
04-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More great shots from you Jimbo, it must be taking you forever to go through all the photos that you took on this amazing trip. Out of your set I like the last one the best with all those amazing reflections and that mountain in the background.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
04-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice - is that a skim of ice on the water?

Jer
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
More great shots from you Jimbo, it must be taking you forever to go through all the photos that you took on this amazing trip. Out of your set I like the last one the best with all those amazing reflections and that mountain in the background.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
Thanks Cory. Still have many more to process though out of the 700+ photo's i will be keeping less then 75. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Nice - is that a skim of ice on the water?

Jer
Yes and I wasn't about to check if it could hold me. JIM

04-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking through your series so far, and I must say they are all amazing. Curiosity has the best of me though. I'm wondering, for each photo that you decide to keep, how much time do you spend (on average) on PP for each shot. What do you do most of your PP work in?
04-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Looking through your series so far, and I must say they are all amazing. Curiosity has the best of me though. I'm wondering, for each photo that you decide to keep, how much time do you spend (on average) on PP for each shot. What do you do most of your PP work in?
Great questions. First, I keep probably less the 10% of what I shoot. I take up to 10 shot changing up my setting and positioning within the shot. As far as PP work, it depends on the image itself. There are times I spend 1-2 minutes and other times over a hour and that's not including the re-do's. As I learn more about my camera I find less PP is required. With a lot of snow in these shots I found myself having to play a lot of with compensation in the camera, from +07 to +2 and it also changed the look of the images leaving less adjustments. I use both Lightroom 3 [Beta] and Photoshop Elements 6. [Will be going to CS4 soon] The first thing I check in Lightroom is my horizon and do any cropping. [prefer Lightroom for this over Elements.] I really do only minor adjustments here before switching to Elements. From there I first go to Levels which helps me balance light in the image and adjust lightness. I am real trying to keep the PP work to as little as possible not over adjusting anything, though I have to stop myself many times. I also tend to stick with my style and not copy others. Since 80% of what I do is landscape lighting is huge and so is compensation. [more work needed in these two areas] One day when I get better at it I may go through the steps I take but I can tell you just about everyone does PP'ing a little differently then the next. I would find it interesting to have 4-5 people start with a raw image and do their own pp and see what we each end up with. JIM
04-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the response. Great info. If your willing, I'd be interested to see your before / after of one of your shots. Just to see how "out of camera" looks compared to yor finished product.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Great questions. First, I keep probably less the 10% of what I shoot. I take up to 10 shot changing up my setting and positioning within the shot. As far as PP work, it depends on the image itself. There are times I spend 1-2 minutes and other times over a hour and that's not including the re-do's. As I learn more about my camera I find less PP is required. With a lot of snow in these shots I found myself having to play a lot of with compensation in the camera, from +07 to +2 and it also changed the look of the images leaving less adjustments. I use both Lightroom 3 [Beta] and Photoshop Elements 6. [Will be going to CS4 soon] The first thing I check in Lightroom is my horizon and do any cropping. [prefer Lightroom for this over Elements.] I really do only minor adjustments here before switching to Elements. From there I first go to Levels which helps me balance light in the image and adjust lightness. I am real trying to keep the PP work to as little as possible not over adjusting anything, though I have to stop myself many times. I also tend to stick with my style and not copy others. Since 80% of what I do is landscape lighting is huge and so is compensation. [more work needed in these two areas] One day when I get better at it I may go through the steps I take but I can tell you just about everyone does PP'ing a little differently then the next. I would find it interesting to have 4-5 people start with a raw image and do their own pp and see what we each end up with. JIM

04-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Thanks for the response. Great info. If your willing, I'd be interested to see your before / after of one of your shots. Just to see how "out of camera" looks compared to yor finished product
I will post two in a bit. One with no adjustments expect conversion from Raw to Jpeg. In Lightroom it will add a little sharpening by default. I will make no other adjustments. Look for th epost in a few hours. Need to get some paint for my daughters bathroom. House work is getting in the way of my hobby again! cheers and thank you for commenting. JIM
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Gorgeous captures, as we have all come to expect from you Jim, how's that for pressure
04-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Gorgeous captures, as we have all come to expect from you Jim, how's that for pressure
The pressure is always there Jan. your keen eye is tough to please!! Cheers JIM