Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Comparing as shot to PP work
Lens: 12-24 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Jasper Alberta ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Jimbo, 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM

I had a request to post a couple as shot photo's to compare the PP work I do. For m eit is a learning experiance on every new photo hoping that one day it will all come together. If you want me to break down the changes I can. Cheers JIKM

Views: 1,331
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I liked both versions of the first and second...I think I would like something that falls between those two though Between the 3rd and 4th...I preferred the lightened version in the fourth one I always love your photos Jim and it is often hard to choose...now I'm mentally exhausted
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the way you are going now Jim.
You've always had teriffic landscape shots but I remember there was a time when your PPing was bit over the top IMO.
These shots prove that you don't need to do all that much to make the shot really pop and still keep it real.
Keep at it!

PS: if I may ask what sharpening do you usually apply to your landscape shots?
BR
Peter
04-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Good stuff Jim.
The subtle PP work does the job well and keeps the images looking natural.

04-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I liked both versions of the first and second...I think I would like something that falls between those two though Between the 3rd and 4th...I preferred the lightened version in the fourth one I always love your photos Jim and it is often hard to choose...now I'm mentally exhausted
Thanks Jan. Appreciate the feedback. For me I tend to learn more each time I go through a image. Less is more is my new line!! I am working harder to better understand what the camera is capable of doing and then using filters to adjust lighting. I do love the whole process of learning. JIM

QuoteQuote:
like the way you are going now Jim.
You've always had teriffic landscape shots but I remember there was a time when your PPing was bit over the top IMO.
These shots prove that you don't need to do all that much to make the shot really pop and still keep it real.
Keep at it!

PS: if I may ask what sharpening do you usually apply to your landscape shots?
BR
Peter
Thanks for your kind words. I remember those days when I through too much at my images hoping something would stick. I am really trying to do less. As far a sharpening, I use Lightroom 3 [beta] which is way better then the older versions IMO. I also will adjust, at times in Elements too but it really depends on the image. I have definately gotten sharper straight out of the camera on my 12-24. I changed the focus point to the bottom 1/3 of the frame and I do a mirror lock up, 2 second delay on every Landscape shot. It does help. JIM
04-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Good stuff Jim.
The subtle PP work does the job well and keeps the images looking natural.
Thank you Ash. I continue to learn more each time out and it is really interesting trying new things within the camera. Cheers JIM
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jan... one in the middle just for you. JIM

04-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting the before & after shots Jim. Good insite that's for sure. You actually don't do as much PP as I thought you might. The sky is fairly blue to start with, you just punch it up just enough to accent the beautiful colors. Someone commented that some of your older pictures tended to be over PP's. Have you ever gone back to some of them and re-done them with your new less PP'd style?

I wonder if we can get Devisor to show some of his before & after work also. You have to wonder with his work if the models actually look that good, or if he tweaks them.

Last edited by eccs19; 04-24-2010 at 05:48 PM.
04-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Thanks for posting the before & after shots Jim. Good insite that's for sure. You actually don't do as much PP as I thought you might. The sky is fairly blue to start with, you just punch it up just enough to accent the beautiful colors. Someone commented that some of your older pictures tended to be over PP's. Have you ever gone back to some of them and re-done them with your new less PP'd style?

I wonder if we can get Devisor to show some of his before & after work also. You have to wonder with his work if the models actually look that good, or if he tweaks them.
appreciate you commenting. I used to do a lot more and yes I have gone back and re-done older images though I believe over all my images weren't as good in the first 16 months then the last and even six months ago. I also hope to look back in six months and say the say thing. Cheers and thank you again for showing interest in my hobby. JIM
04-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Beautiful images. For 1st I liked PP version, for 2nd, both the versions are good
04-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Very beautiful shots Jimbo, I really like the edited version of the first shot. The colors just pop so much more and make the image so warm and eye catching. I also like your second shot but it just doesn't have the color of the first.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
04-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I really like the first processed version. Awesome landscape and great job with the colors!
04-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Beautiful images. For 1st I liked PP version, for 2nd, both the versions are good

Thank you. JIM

QuoteQuote:
Very beautiful shots Jimbo, I really like the edited version of the first shot. The colors just pop so much more and make the image so warm and eye catching. I also like your second shot but it just doesn't have the color of the first.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory
Much appreciated Cory. The second image had tough lighting with a overcast day where the first had some beautiful early morming light. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I really like the first processed version. Awesome landscape and great job with the colors!
Thanks Joni. Coming from you that means a lot. Always a fan of your work and I see you have another in the Premier Collection. Great winter scene. JIM