Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Open Road
Lens: DA 16-45mm Camera: k20D Photo Location: Ohio ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: Tuner571, 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM

I took this while on a small photo trip in my area. Before this, I had never been down this road and I was greeted with this scene. I like it but I am unsure if I should go with a color or black and white version so your imput is appreciated there.

Also, at the end I posted a shot that I took at the end of the day and I wanted to get your input there as well.

Thanks,
Cory

Views: 1,681
04-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Cory! I prefer the colour one, because I think there is not enough contrast in the leaf area in the B&W version. I'd try to enhance contrast, and probably then the B&W version will be better. But I like the light spring green in the first one....

And I just love the scenery in the last one, with the reflection in the water!
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Nice shots Cory! I prefer the colour one, because I think there is not enough contrast in the leaf area in the B&W version. I'd try to enhance contrast, and probably then the B&W version will be better. But I like the light spring green in the first one....

And I just love the scenery in the last one, with the reflection in the water!
Thanks for the comment Rense, I'm glad you like the color one as it is becoming my favorite the longer I look at it. Normally, I really like B&W shots but that one just isn't doing it for me.

I will try and add some contrast and see if that helps,

Thanks again,
Cory
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Thanks for the comment Rense, I'm glad you like the color one as it is becoming my favorite the longer I look at it. Normally, I really like B&W shots but that one just isn't doing it for me.

I will try and add some contrast and see if that helps,

Thanks again,
Cory
The same with me!

04-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

B/w choices

One of the things that I like to work with during conversion to Black and White are the various filter options that are available to alter how various colors render into black and white and gray tones. If your using Photoshop or possibly Paintshop Pro Photo, you have filter options when converting to b/w. Many times you can enhance the rendition of a scene by choosing one of the color filters such as yellow, green, red etc. when making the conversion. I've also experimented with the simulated Infra Red filters and have had some good luck with that. Good luck and good shooting.
04-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I played around with this photo and did an Infra Red conversion, which I kind of like.
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like both the color shots a lot. The first comes off best in color, I think, and the second is great as well. The road shot 'tells a story' (what's around the bend? what a beautiful drive!, etc) and the reflections in the pond, the blues, the yellow dried grasses, very nice!

04-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
One of the things that I like to work with during conversion to Black and White are the various filter options that are available to alter how various colors render into black and white and gray tones. If your using Photoshop or possibly Paintshop Pro Photo, you have filter options when converting to b/w. Many times you can enhance the rendition of a scene by choosing one of the color filters such as yellow, green, red etc. when making the conversion. I've also experimented with the simulated Infra Red filters and have had some good luck with that. Good luck and good shooting.
Thanks for advice Jim, I have some filter types in my Lightroom present catalog and this is the best I could come up with. However, I am really interested in seeing your infra red filter rendition if you don't mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I like both the color shots a lot. The first comes off best in color, I think, and the second is great as well. The road shot 'tells a story' (what's around the bend? what a beautiful drive!, etc) and the reflections in the pond, the blues, the yellow dried grasses, very nice!
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you like them.

Cory
04-25-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great photos Corey...I prefer the color rendition. That last photo is just gorgeous!!
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments Jan, I really appreciate your comment.

Cory