Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Young Photo
Posted By: highyellow1, 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Here is a pic of my daughter taking pics with her princess camera. How would I eliminate the flash on her forehead in camera and than PP. Thanks for the help!

Oh, I did a little PP, tone curve, saturation, vignetting, sharpening (this is one part I struggle with, how do you know how much sharpening to do??)

Anyway, here is my little angel.

Edit: Title should read "Young Photog"

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 1,358
07-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
That is cute. She is probably hoping for a k100d or better so she can be like dad. I am just learnig the pp process and I think I have come to realize that it is, for the most part, personal preference. Have a great day!
07-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Inactive Account

a very cute snap!

As for the flash on the forehead... for indoor, lower-light shots like this, I've had very good luck powering down the on-board flash to it's lowest, or near it's lowest setting, opening up the aperture wide and setting a shutter speed pretty slow... just enough to reduce motion blur. Also, use the fastest lens you have.
07-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Using Paint Shop Pro X (Photoshop has the same tools with maybe different names for the settings): Removing the glare is fairly easy using the clone tool. Use as big of a brush as possible and set the brush hardness around 40 and the brush opacity around 40. Then dab the clone from an area near the glare on the left and right of the image and keep adding more dabs until it all blends together.

I also sharpened using USM at a radius of 1 and strength of 100. I used a little sharpening brush on the eyes as well but working with this small of an image, it is bit too much.

Tim

Attachment 3972

Last edited by atupdate; 03-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.
07-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tim,
Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate, I'm just not sure how much sharpening to do. I was thinking of the clone tool in CS2, did you do small circles/areas and work your way in or bigger areas?

Thanks again for your time.
07-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a cutie !!! Now you need to get a pentax in her hands, and a future generation of pentaxians will be born !!
07-26-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by highyellow1 Quote
Tim,
Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate, I'm just not sure how much sharpening to do. I was thinking of the clone tool in CS2, did you do small circles/areas and work your way in or bigger areas?

Thanks again for your time.
It definitely needs some sharpening IMHO. Take a look at both images, in particular the face of the camera and her fingers to see the benefit of USM. However, if you didn't sharpen after downsizing for the web, then the lack of sharpness could be from re-sizing and not the iamge itself. Without seeing the full size image, it is hard to tell.

As for the clone work, I used a brush radius of 25 pixels if I remember correctly. I applied the clone at one click at a time. Sort of like a woman would apply make-up, starting with a darker shade about 50 pixels outside the glare. The low brush hardness and opacity allows for the overlayed clicks to blend and eventually, you don't see any history of the brush edges. Give it a try and if you don't have any luck, send me a PM with your email and I'll be more than happy to send you a series that shows the progress.

Tim