Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done this about a dozen times and still hold my breath a bit when the progress bar stops moving. Especially when the new version only claims to change stuff that I didn't know was broken.

04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There must be an older long thread about the concequences of an update failure.

It is obviously the same problem we saw for many years when upgrading ROM memory of desktop computers:
to replace the contents by burning, you needed an intact loader program to burn it, which was also located on the ROM itself. If the loader program was damaged by an uncomplete update, there was no way to repair that damage. The ROM chip had to be replaced physically.

Today's desktop computers offer way more memory space, and usually hold a copy the the ROM content, and provide a special (secured) routine to copy the old content back if an update fails. I think there are also solutions which offer a physically separated loader program, or a copy of it. I heard at least the earlier Pentax bodies don't offer such possibilities. The ROM must be replaced by a new one, which can only be done by the manufacturer of the main board --> service will change the main board (and probably send the old one back to the manufacturer, if it still makes sense).
04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
My k-30 is running the original firmware. I am just not sure updating is worth the gamble at this time. I did update my DL when it was time. but it was old in camera years
I have upated the firmware on my K-30 a few times already, each time did it without a hitch.

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
...A k-30 would make a great paper weight also!!!
Heh, it would, great conversation piece at home or work! lol!

B
04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
I have upated the firmware on my K-30 a few times already, each time did it without a hitch.
So far I have spent over 2 hours trying to up date the K-30. I did update my DL back when, so this is not my first update
. I followed the instructions and the camera will not go to the firmware update page. I get to the page showing the firmware version. version 1.00 and that is as far as the camera will go The card has update on it. It was formatted in the camera prior to starting. Like I said I have followed the instructions to a T. The camera just wont read it for some reason.

04-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you extract the firmware?
04-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Are you copying the ZIP file to the SDCard or the BIN file from within the ZIP file?
You want the BIN file.
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Did you extract the firmware?
Zing

04-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Zing

Smoke signals.
I guess great minds think alike? But so does bacteria and dung beetles too so I guess we can't go by that.
04-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
So far I have spent over 2 hours trying to up date the K-30. I did update my DL back when, so this is not my first update
. I followed the instructions and the camera will not go to the firmware update page. I get to the page showing the firmware version. version 1.00 and that is as far as the camera will go The card has update on it. It was formatted in the camera prior to starting. Like I said I have followed the instructions to a T. The camera just wont read it for some reason.
As others have also asked, did you extract the zip?. I forgot to on the one update, but once I extracted the .BIN file, all was good!

B
03-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Firmware 1.16 killed my K-5 today - exactly like the TO described it.
And I carefully followed the rules as well.

But I have to say it didn't even start to update 4 times before, it only showed the firmware
status. ...This should have alarmed me that something may have gone wrong with the data
and better download it again and then unzip it again ... Now these thoughts come to late of
course ... The file may have been corrupt ... or the camera had a hidden mistake allready,
that I just wasn't aware of.
Service said the board is dead - new one costs 380,- € - and nothing else can be done.

When these updates didn't start - I again formatted the card - put the bin on again. I did this
formatting in camera - and in the card reader, both. Didn't make a difference. Why the fifth
time it started the update procedure and stoped for 20 minutes in part 1/2 I can't say. So I
knew I had to stop this .... I doubted waiting even longer then 20 Minutes could do any better.

Last edited by TomGarn; 03-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.
03-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
This was my third firmware update that I have done,followed everything to the letter but update stalled out about 3/4 of the way and wouldn't go any further,waited 20 minutes but I had to shut it off or eventually the battery would have run out.Held down the menu button and powered it up while still holding the menu button and nothing!,camera is now useless as I think the files were corrupt from Pentax Canada...really pissed off right now as money is tight and I am without a camera.
That`s unfortunate.
That is the same FW that killed my K7 2 years ago. Had to send it to CRIS for a main-board replacement.
03-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
That`s unfortunate.
That is the same FW that killed my K7 2 years ago. Had to send it to CRIS for a main-board replacement.
What and where is CRIS and how much did you pay ?
And:
I am hoping that maybe a broken camera could serve as a spare part source for another board
so a repair could be cheaper, maybe .... März - here in Hamburg - did not give me such a hope,
but I didn't ask for it yet.
In case of my old K10D they had to slaughter a broken camera for a flash-shoe ... Pentax can't
deliver spare parts for the K10D anymore ... they said.
And:
Did you find any clues - later on - what had happened to your K-7 ?
Any critical second thoughts maybe ?
Are we the only two miserable people here ?
03-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I see thread necromancers at work.

What I don't understand is why the repair center can't just flash it back to stock. Why do they have to replace the main board?
03-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I forgot I posted on this thread last year.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
What and where is CRIS and how much did you pay ?
C.R.I.S. is a U.S. authorized repair center in Arizona. Cost me about US$ 300.00
03-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote

What I don't understand is why the repair center can't just flash it back to stock. Why do they have to replace the main board?
Many phonemakers and video game companies says the same thing. Funny how home hackers most often can hook up to the memory components and re-flash the devices but repair facilities claims that it's impossible. It almost makes me think that they make a pile of money claiming to switch the motherboard while in reality they make a simple flash.