Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

K-X MF AF switch not working

This issue has some threads out there but they are getting old and I would like to see if anyone has fixed this problem for good or if it keeps resurfacing.

Problem:
When I switch from MF to AF on my K-X the body still says MF.

The contacts have been cleaned and I have mounted different lenses which have the same problem. I haven't been able to duplicate it consistently but it seems like I take a couple shots and then switch from MF to AF, but it doesn't register and stays in MF. The screw drive engages though because when I try to manual focus it is stiff like the screw drive is engaged. I can eventually get it into AF by changing modes, mounting & dismounting the lens etc but I don't have any repeatable steps to do it consistently.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem on a K-X? It seems like a firmware issue. Also, can I go back to a previous firmware version?

06-29-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by viper56 Quote
This issue has some threads out there but they are getting old and I would like to see if anyone has fixed this problem for good or if it keeps resurfacing.

Problem:
When I switch from MF to AF on my K-X the body still says MF.

The contacts have been cleaned and I have mounted different lenses which have the same problem. I haven't been able to duplicate it consistently but it seems like I take a couple shots and then switch from MF to AF, but it doesn't register and stays in MF. The screw drive engages though because when I try to manual focus it is stiff like the screw drive is engaged. I can eventually get it into AF by changing modes, mounting & dismounting the lens etc but I don't have any repeatable steps to do it consistently.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem on a K-X? It seems like a firmware issue. Also, can I go back to a previous firmware version?
It could be that you aren't mounting your lenses properly. If the AF shafts on the lens and camera don't align, you can get erratic behavior until the problem is remedied- and in this case, the solution is to wiggle the lens back and forth a bit until the two shafts are properly linked.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It could be that you aren't mounting your lenses properly. If the AF shafts on the lens and camera don't align, you can get erratic behavior until the problem is remedied- and in this case, the solution is to wiggle the lens back and forth a bit until the two shafts are properly linked.
Adam has identified the situation in most of these issues. My specific mounting method is to press and hold the lens release button as you mount the lens. Turn the lens until it stops (but don't force it). Release the lens release button and gently turn the lens back until the locking pin just clicks into place.

My only guess as to why this works is the hole for the locking pin in the lens mount might be just slightly enlongated. Going the opposite direction into the locking position is a trifle more accurate.

One other check .... with the lens removed, press the lens release button. Not only the locking pin but also the autofocus nub should visibly retract. When you release the lens release button, it should visibly extend just above the mount. If it is not doing this, the body will interpret this non-extension as having mounted a manual focus lens.
06-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. As for wiggling the lens, there isn't much play when I mount the lens on. I'll try the wiggling as well as mounting the lens while holding the release button the entire time. Typically I dont hold the release button down and just rotate it and I hear the click. Now at least I can focus my troubleshooting. Thanks.