Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mirror Flop on the K-r - Plus additional strange issue

I just got my camera back from pentax a month or so ago, I sent it in for them to fix the mirror flop issues I'd been having. Originally, I would only get the floppy mirror when using live view, but now it's started doing it even with live view off.

Here's a video I took last night. (sorry about the terrible quality)

Pentax K r Mirror Flop - YouTube

I've not really noticed many problems with my modern lenses, but every time I try to use my M 50mm f/1.4 it takes one or two normal shots, and then starts flopping around like a fish out of water, eventually getting stuck, and requiring me to remove the battery in order to unstick it. Unfortunately, it's even worse now than it was before I sent it in.

I've heard that cleaning the lens contacts can help, but the M series lens doesn't have any. My battery wasn't fully charged at the time, which I've also heard can cause mirror flop. (I've got a AA battery holder on the way, so we'll see if that fixes it. It's a bit of a pain to have to buy the adapter and use only AA's if I'm going to be shooting with my older lenses if it does, though.)

For those of you that have had mirror flop issues, does this look the same as what happened to you, and how did you fix it, if not by the methods mentioned above? Also, has anyone had theirs 'repaired' by Pentax, only to have it start acting up again, or did mine just slip through the proverbial cracks? I'm debating the merits of sending it in again if they have a poor track record of fixing it and using AA's works.

Last edited by Stoogie; 08-01-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: New and exciting problems since the original post
08-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice dog BTW
I have had my original K5 develop mirror flops which eventually resulted in it dying (Battery Depleted message on screen when attempting to take a photo)
It went away for repairs 3 x
Came back twice
3rd Time they sent a brand new one
The new body started mirror flopping
Sent away 2 x
Returned 2 x
First time it came back it mirror flopped on arrival
Second time it worked, and 2 months later it is still working

As a side note, I think the second time I sent the original K5 away, they sent a loan unit (K5) to me
It took 3 photos, they gave me the "Battery Depleted" error as well
I have had some bad luck
08-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

Ouch, that's a lot of time spent without your camera, I thought I was hard done by having to send mine in three times.
08-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, now it's started doing something even stranger...

Pentax K r problem - YouTube

I focus, take a picture, the mirror flops, and I'm out of focus. You can't really see it that well in the video, but the image in the viewfinder actually wobbles around... Is this associated with the mirror flop, or is it some other problem completely?

08-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoogie Quote
Ok, now it's started doing something even stranger...

Pentax K r problem - YouTube

I focus, take a picture, the mirror flops, and I'm out of focus. You can't really see it that well in the video, but the image in the viewfinder actually wobbles around... Is this associated with the mirror flop, or is it some other problem completely?
My timeline memories of my saga haven't gotten vague, but there were instances when I asked the camera to focus and the mirror would start fillibrating, making the view through the viewfinder quite jumpy.
My honest feeling is that it's a long freefall to what is finally a dead camera, if under warranty send it back, but do try it with other lenses.
Pentax representative over here tried to blame it all on the use of my Sigma 70-200 lens ..... Never mind the fact i didn't own that lens when the first body died ...
08-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

Ok, it was nothing like what yours was doing, but that seems like somethings coming adrift inside ?!
08-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #7

I won't bore you with the long saga about my K-r but mine started misbehaving like yours seems to be.

Eventually it got to the stage where every time I turned it on it would madly flip several times, and any button I pressed caused it to flip continually until I took the battery out, switching it off on the camera didn't stop it.

After a long harrowing back and forth with Amazon UK I contacted the head honchos at Pentax who asked me to send the K-r to their service people for evaluation. They fixed it free of charge for me. (I think on the note I got back that they fitted a new diaphragm).

When I got it back it was working better than it had when I first bought it new. I traded it in for a K5 shortly afterwards though because I didn't trust the K-r any more.

If I were you I'd send it in again.

Good luck,
Charlotte

08-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone,

I've sent my camera in to Ricoh Imaging for testing. They also asked me to send them the lens I was experiencing the issue with, as they said it might be an issue with the lens, and not the camera body. I've experienced the problem with several different lenses though, so unless they're all defective, I'm inclined to think the issue lies with the camera.
08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stoogie, Wolfworx

I am writing up some pages on using MF lenses on pentax specifically my k-r, and would llike to know more about what the circumstances were re mirror flopping. For me its occurrred when I have been trying to use foil to short mount contacts when using a black painted M42 mount lens, and when trying out M lenses without aperture lever or not fully mounted (as described on p2).
Using KM, KA and M42 lenses on Pentax (and Samsung)DSLR's
08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
For me, it happens when using any M series lens, in live view or not, and also happens in live view only with some more modern lenses (specifically the FA 50mm f/2.8 macro). All my lenses have intact aperture levers.
08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stoogie Quote
For me, it happens when using any M series lens, in live view or not, and also happens in live view only with some more modern lenses (specifically the FA 50mm f/2.8 macro). All my lenses have intact aperture levers.
Not Good!!

All of these problems are caused, IMO, by firmware. May be other causes causing the firmware glitches: I was browsing around and noted some of the posts talking about batteries and replacment IC's. A particular point of comparison is the samsungs: corresponding with member dme he says no prob with his samsung, or exposure issues.

Sorry I don't have an answer but with an accumulation of instances and outcomes reported here and elsewhere we may steadily gain insight...
08-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
Heard back from Ricoh

I heard back about my camera today, apparently replacing the main circuit block and diaphram is the course of action. The last time I sent it in for this problem they repaired and adjusted the mirror mechanism and focusing screen. Hopefully this time it works!