Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 58 AF-2 stuck on K-30 hotshoe

I shot at a wedding today and at one point wanted to do off camera flash photography, but the flash wouldn't come off. I struggled with it for some minutes (that's like eternity when doing a gig!) and ended by giving up. I'm home now and tried again. I just can't get it off. I've tried jerking it whatnot in different way but it just wont budge. Perhaps someone has a tip I could try?

12-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make really really sure the lock screw is all the way up. Had the same issue with my Metz, Worked with it forever and almost decided I would have to break it. Then turned the lock screw just a little more and it came free. The lock pin that holds the flash on digs into the plastic if you try to pull it off without it being completely retracted and then gets stuck in the down position even when the screw is turned all the way up. So make sure the screw is up and then try pushing the flash back on as far as you can and gently wiggling to hopefully free that pin.
12-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm growing concerned that these flashes aren't the most robust. One of mine had intermittent power issues.
12-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Same happened to me with my K-5 and af 540 flash during a sweet sixteen. I unscrewed the base of flash and pulled the broken stuck pin from flash using a pair of tweezers. Then I just screwed everything back together. You have to be careful not to pull too hard so you dont pull wires from hot shoe. I have never dealt with Metz flash but if they are built similar it might work for you.

12-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If it does not work, see that above the locking screw, is a small hole, on the front side of the flash. Try to raise the locking pin with something thin put inside that hole. A flat thin screw driver, or something like that. That's the way I did it.
12-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried that but it didn't work. There is a tiny thingy just above the screw and it was lose. I didn't know what it was but it felt wrong that it was lose. It just broke off and I was then able to push the springy inside part up, and lock it in place using a thin screwdriver, and then finally got the flash off.
12-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

So, the pin root (I don't know how to name it), is broken. Use some glue, and stick the pin inside the flash. You will not miss it, if you are careful to screw the locking wheel.

12-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Sigma 17-50 feel and broke (plastic, not glass) about 2 months ago. I just recently had the shoe (on the camera) repaired as well - and at the same time also had my Sigma 70-200 calibrated, which to much surprise cost me 3 times more than I expected. And now this

This is a bad trend if all the money I earn goes to repairs. Arg :|
12-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
So, the pin root (I don't know how to name it), is broken. Use some glue, and stick the pin inside the flash. You will not miss it, if you are careful to screw the locking wheel.
Yeah, I was thinking something like that as well, rather than having it fixed.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 12-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.
12-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I made it with a small, small drop of superglue. And is OK. For the rest, I don't know, make a prayer or something
12-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did the superglue trick on my AF 540 FTZ. No stick yet, and the pin is still up. Thanks to a multitude of posters who pointed out that the pin was "delicate".
12-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have some super glue and tried with it. Looks like it did the trick.
12-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There are three types of super glue, depending of fluidity. The common one, is the most fluid, and not the best for this kind of job. But used with care, very small drops at a time, two or three times, can do the trick. The medium, which can be found in modeller stores, cyanoacrylate medium, is good.
12-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ah, the number of times I have managed to glue my fingers together with CA... And that was just the one plastic model haha.

12-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
There are three types of super glue, depending of fluidity. The common one, is the most fluid, and not the best for this kind of job. But used with care, very small drops at a time, two or three times, can do the trick. The medium, which can be found in modeller stores, cyanoacrylate medium, is good.
I think I have the most fluid. Thanks for the heads-up!

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Ah, the number of times I have managed to glue my fingers together with CA... And that was just the one plastic model haha.
Lol, yeah