Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Parts ordering problem

Late last summer, the mode dial fell off of my K-01. I contacted Pentax, and they said that I had to send the camera in for warranty repair. I said I didn't want to send it in, and they said I could buy the part myself. I took forever to get around to it, since the camera is still usable, but last week I contacted the parts department. I was told that I can't order parts from Ricoh/Pentax anymore. I had to order them through their repair and parts reseller - CRIS. They also very kindly gave me the part number and contact at CRIS. So I called the parts line at CRIS. They emailed me today and said that they can't sell me parts. I have to get parts directly from Pentax/Ricoh.

Does anyone know who I can contact for this stupid part? And once I get it, what's the best way to make sure it never falls off again?

Thank you!

03-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contact Pentax again and tell them what CRIS said. I suspect this is a recent change as the Pentax parts department used to sell parts. Maybe CRIS is still operating on the old rules and not everyone got the word. Call Pentax and tell them their reseller is refusing to sell you parts and ask if they can help expedite things by calling CRIS and clearing it for you.
03-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Contact Pentax again and tell them what CRIS said. I suspect this is a recent change as the Pentax parts department used to sell parts. Maybe CRIS is still operating on the old rules and not everyone got the word. Call Pentax and tell them their reseller is refusing to sell you parts and ask if they can help expedite things by calling CRIS and clearing it for you.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've forwarded both messages to each party, so hopefully they will get the communication going.
03-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Please post back, if you're able to get somewhere with buying the parts. I'm getting the same run around, between CRIS and Pentax. I get the feeling that they would rather repair than sell the parts.

03-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will do. I should have ordered the part sooner.
03-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Wildernest Logistics Solutions, Inc.
PENTAX Division
3500 N. Windsor Dr. Suite-400
Aurora, CO 80011
Ph. (720)988-2653
Fax (303)799-9213
Lynn Badillo
EMAIL: lynn.badillo@wildernestlogistics.com

This is the one and only parts person for Pentax parts. She is a very busy lady. Keep trying to reach her by phone. She has to receive, stock and pull the parts. So she may be away from the phone a lot.
03-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
She's the one who told me I had to contact CRIS!

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Wildernest Logistics Solutions, Inc.
PENTAX Division
3500 N. Windsor Dr. Suite-400
Aurora, CO 80011
Ph. (720)988-2653
Fax (303)799-9213
Lynn Badillo
EMAIL: lynn.badillo@wildernestlogistics.com

This is the one and only parts person for Pentax parts. She is a very busy lady. Keep trying to reach her by phone. She has to receive, stock and pull the parts. So she may be away from the phone a lot.

03-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

That's a first for me.
Maybe they have went totally in a new direction with their parts division.
Guess I won't be doing any more repairs.

---------- Post added 03-29-14 at 09:13 PM ----------

And on another note.

I've never been able to buy a part from CRIS. The last time I was able to talk to a person, they were rude and very non helpful. They want the repair money to replace the part for you. They are listed as a Pentax repair depot, not a parts supplier.
03-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I heard back from Lynn after telling her what CRIS said. Her response was that I need to order from a dealer. Unfortunately, the only dealer in my area doesn't sell parts. I asked. So, for right now, I'm SOL.

This ridiculous situation is causing me to seriously reconsider my commitment to the Pentax system. If I were a full-time photographer, there's no way I could work with this level of service.
03-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This almost deserves a New Camera News write up if the outcome for you wasn't so predictable. An opportunity for Ricoh good PR or more of the bureaucratic "Brazil" like ineptness Terry Gilliam loves to point out.
03-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the Dealer intermediary requirement may have been in place for a while. I ordered a tripod foot for the K>Q adapter from Lynn at cost - but that door closed and the part then showed up on the Webstore at 100% markup.

You could try a Special Order at the Pentax Webstore, which is in reality a separate Dealer (SureSource LLC) dba Pentax Webstore.
03-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Monochrome, do you have any idea how to go about doing this? I can't find anything on the webstore.

By the way, I also tweeted @pentaxian on Twitter. Got no response.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the Dealer intermediary requirement may have been in place for a while. I ordered a tripod foot for the K>Q adapter from Lynn at cost - but that door closed and the part then showed up on the Webstore at 100% markup.

You could try a Special Order at the Pentax Webstore, which is in reality a separate Dealer (SureSource LLC) dba Pentax Webstore.

Last edited by Designosophy; 03-31-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Additional information.
04-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update:

@pentaxian got back to me and told me to call the parts department. I called the number provided. Nobody picked up the line and the mailbox was full. I hit zero for the operator and was taken back to the main message. There was an option to leave a message in the "generic" mailbox, so I did so. I was also given the option to send the message to another mailbox. So I chose a number of people at random from the directory and forwarded my message there as well.

Today I got a call back from someone named Joe in the products department. We had a pleasant discussion in which he explained to me that Ricoh does not sell parts directly to customers because customers don't know how to repair cameras. I told him that makes sense, of course, but this part just slides on and is held in place with a dot of glue. He said that is not accurate. It's more complex and requires disassembly of the body. He said I needed to send the camera in to a licensed repair depot for repairs. Rather than arguing about this, I explained that I'm not going to send the camera in for this simple part. It's now outside of warranty, and shipping both ways plus repair cost is price prohibitive on an item of this price. In many cases, the minimum repair bill is $60 to $100. So I could spend over $100 just to have a tiny, exterior part replaced. It just does not make sense.

I recognize that this employee was not a customer service person and couldn't directly help me, but I very much appreciate him calling me. Even so, I'm out of luck and pretty discouraged.

I'm going to try @pantaxian again. They told me to let me know what the result is. If all else fails, I might try to cobble together a replacement dial out of pieces of plastic or rubber I find at the hardware store.
05-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
Update:

@pentaxian got back to me and told me to call the parts department. I called the number provided. Nobody picked up the line and the mailbox was full. I hit zero for the operator and was taken back to the main message. There was an option to leave a message in the "generic" mailbox, so I did so. I was also given the option to send the message to another mailbox. So I chose a number of people at random from the directory and forwarded my message there as well.

Today I got a call back from someone named Joe in the products department. We had a pleasant discussion in which he explained to me that Ricoh does not sell parts directly to customers because customers don't know how to repair cameras. I told him that makes sense, of course, but this part just slides on and is held in place with a dot of glue. He said that is not accurate. It's more complex and requires disassembly of the body. He said I needed to send the camera in to a licensed repair depot for repairs. Rather than arguing about this, I explained that I'm not going to send the camera in for this simple part. It's now outside of warranty, and shipping both ways plus repair cost is price prohibitive on an item of this price. In many cases, the minimum repair bill is $60 to $100. So I could spend over $100 just to have a tiny, exterior part replaced. It just does not make sense.

I recognize that this employee was not a customer service person and couldn't directly help me, but I very much appreciate him calling me. Even so, I'm out of luck and pretty discouraged.

I'm going to try @pantaxian again. They told me to let me know what the result is. If all else fails, I might try to cobble together a replacement dial out of pieces of plastic or rubber I find at the hardware store.
Designosophy - please let me us know how you make out. I just lost my dial, argh, after crazy glueing it down the first time it fell off.

Thanks
05-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I posted this, but I guess it was in a different thread. I was able to get a dial by contacting an authorized Pentax repair person. I'll PM you the info. When the dial arrived, it was attached to the plastic disc & stem, which is what the old mode dial had detached from. So I used a hair dryer to heat up the new mode dial until the disc/stem could be removed. Then I used contact cement to attach the new mode dial.