Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
@qtopplings,
Nice hill shots! Nice backyard you have there! Looks to me like somewhere around Marinwood or Ignacio.
Good eye! Lucas Valley, so very close to Marinwood.

QuoteQuote:
I ordered my 10-24 a couple days ago, promised (PROMISED!) to be here before Xmas. But now I'm apprehensive about what I'll receive. What a worrywart! When questioned here, the B&H rep wouldn't say which of the ultrawides has the worst return rate, just that << few lenses are returned >>. Maybe most customers aren't as picky as we highly-informed PFC members? Anyway, I guess I must find a reliable brick wall to shoot in a few days. Or some well-flattened roadkill. There aren't too many flat, patterned surfaces in my neighborhood.
That's why I love Amazon. Their shipping and return policy can't be beat. I'm hoping that the Tammy was just a bad copy. Then again, I distinctly remember the UPS guy basically *dropping* my box on the floor in fron tof my door. I could hear it hit the ground from my office! I remember thinking I hope it's packed well, and then opening the box to find just one air cell on the side, and no bubble wrap surrounding the box. Maybe it got knocked out of whack?

I should have my replacement today, as well as the Sigma. I will report back with my findings, but please let us know how your copy turns out.

QuoteQuote:
Q: Why do software engineers have slumped shoulders and flattened foreheads?
A: Because when you ask them a hard question, they shrug.
... And when you tell them the answer, they slap their head.

12-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Nice hill shots! Nice backyard you have there! Looks to me like somewhere around Marinwood or Ignacio.
Good eye! Lucas Valley, so very close to Marinwood.
I was also going to suggest Lucas Valley, just over the ridge from Marinwood -- same vicinity. I worked at Lucas Green (the FFI computer center on LV Rd off 101) for some years. All gorgeous country. All unaffordable. Those were the days...

QuoteQuote:
That's why I love Amazon. Their shipping and return policy can't be beat.
Indeed. I just hope that's unnecessary. Mine ships via USPS. A recent POPULAR MECHANICS article rated the three main package carriers: USPS has far fewer +6g shocks than UPS or FedEx, but they move and tip packages more, if more gently. The article also mentioned that for UPS and FedEx, packages marked FRAGILE or THIS SIDE UP got worse treatment. Let that be a lesson.
12-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #33
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I keep having to search further back in the listing for this Tammy,

So I thought I'd bump it!.

Did Santa bring you guys the 10-24 Tammy?

Post some pics - especially the comparison with the Sigma..

Here's another from mine - The River Thames..

Cheerz and Happy New Year...

MZ
12-31-2010, 10:52 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@ 10mm/f 9.5

01-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Well, Santa didn't bring me a Tamron 10-24, but apparently my credit is good at Adorama so 1 is on the way.
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #36

Here's the comparison:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/127946-sigma-1...ml#post1326473

Maybe I got 2 bad copies of the Tamron, or you guys are cropping/using only f/8 and above, but the Sigma blows the Tamron away for IQ.
01-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Well, my Tamron 10-24 arrived today via UPS. The lens has a mark in the plastic surrounding the front optics and my shots (interior, room lighting and onboard flash) are pretty blurry with soft corners (particularly the lower ones). Additionally, the zoom ring has rough spots (smooth for 10-15 degrees then greater resistance then smooth again). I'm going to try it in daylight and see if its just my being paranoid, but if it still doesn't produce solid images its going back to Adorama. How are they with exchanges under conditions like this one?

01-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #38

I don't think you're being paranoid. I would definitely return it...Adorama should exchangevit no problem. And if the next one comes back bad, I'd get the sigma..
01-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I don't think you're being paranoid. I would definitely return it...Adorama should exchangevit no problem. And if the next one comes back bad, I'd get the sigma..
Thanks. Its been rainy the last couple of days here and I do want to try it in sunlight first.
01-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #40

Docrwm and RicoRico....any thoughts on your lenses? I'm really interested in seeing if I got a bad copy (2 bad ones in a row) or if you see the same issues. Please let us know.
02-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flare control

No special effort to minimize flare in this shot. This lens also seems to me to retain color saturation a bit better than the Sigma 10-20 I had in this sort of situation.

While f11 may not be the worst case for flare, I can't imagine choosing, or having to shoot, wide open in these conditions anyway.

Tamron 10-24 on K200D @ f11and ISO 400.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 02-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.
03-19-2011, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Old Coal Loader

Here are a couple of shots with my Tamron 10-24 from a recent dawn shoot of a now disused coal loader:

03-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #43
Forum Member

Rayallen, I like them! I prefer the second one, with the thicker and more-distorted reflections.
03-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hray Quote
Rayallen, I like them! I prefer the second one, with the thicker and more-distorted reflections.
Thanks, hray. I really like that lens.
03-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I have one coming to me, I hope it is everything I have imagined!!! We need to keep this thread at the top!