Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The building itself looks good to me! You may have lost some detail in the edges that are up against the sky because that area is over exposed to get the exposure right for the lower portion. I am no expert but there seems to always be a loss of sharpness with these types of lenses and the distortion in the corners. Play around with the focus manually and see if you can get more things closer to you in focus and see if that helps the look you are after.

07-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I want crisp/sharp images. I went about it to try and get the sweet spot- Iso 80, w/ tripod f8-f11, 2sec shutter release. Comments?
Definitely doesn't look as sharp as I'd expect. Part of that might be that you've lost some contrast since it's light from the 2 second long exposure. Did you try a shorter one, or using a ND filter if you want the motion of the people in it? Or just dropping it down a step or three in Lightroom, recovering highlights, etc?

Usually you don't want to use a polarizing filter with an ultrawide because it makes the sky looks weird, but for these with the buildings blotting out most of the sky, it might help you get some of the details on the sides back by cutting the glare a bit, maybe? I used one on a trip to Chicago last year and it seemed to help a bit with reflections off buildings and the like.
07-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #138
Pentaxian

I like using my Tamron 10-24 for fun, as I'm just an amateur, and for the price I paid, I'm satisfied with it. However, I agree it's not my sharpest lens in my kit by a long shot, and I find that I need to stop down to f/8 to be reasonably happy with the results. I love my DA 15 for its glorious colors and sharpness but it can't substitute for the flexibility of the UWA zoom and the ability to go down to 10mm and all the way up to 24mm in a quick flick of the wrist.

If you are taking pictures for work, you may want to consider the DA 12-24 or maybe Sigma 10-20, both generally have better reputations in terms of sharpness (the PF In-depth Comparison of these three lenses confirms this). I lowered the expectations I had prior to getting the Tammy 10-24, and as a result, I wasn't as disappointed by the sharpness. I have instead learned to like the other advantages of the lens, including its lightweight, compactness, and zoom range.
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #139

I did do some editing in PS to gain some clarity and depth but I feel it should be better straight out camera. Idk if I want to try another copy of tamron.. I will play around with it a little more with focus and possibly filters before I make any decisions.

I have been toying with getting a few other options to replace tam 10-24:
Sigma 8-16- expensive and hard to find used
Sigma 10-20- not the sharpest
Sigma 12-24- great sharpness and IQ but higher cost
Pentax 12-24- decent IQ
Pentax 15 ltd- so in love with this lens and has great IQ

I will see what I end up with.. Got research to do.

07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I did do some editing in PS to gain some clarity and depth but I feel it should be better straight out camera. Idk if I want to try another copy of tamron.. I will play around with it a little more with focus and possibly filters before I make any decisions.

I have been toying with getting a few other options to replace tam 10-24:
Sigma 8-16- expensive and hard to find used
Sigma 10-20- not the sharpest
Sigma 12-24- great sharpness and IQ but higher cost
Pentax 12-24- decent IQ
Pentax 15 ltd- so in love with this lens and has great IQ

I will see what I end up with.. Got research to do.
Rent or borrow a couple of them and take the same photo under the same conditions. The Sigma 12-24 is for film or full frame. I think it's the widest full frame lens available that's not a fisheye. That's why it's so expensive, not the quality. It's the full frame equivalent of their 8-16.

The 15 gives you 86 degree view vs 99 for the 12mm, 109 for the 10mm, and 121 for the 8mm. That's a pretty big difference -- in your sample photos you probably wouldn't have been able to fit the entire building in at 15mm. Maybe in portrait orientation.

But definitely stick an ND filter on top of it next time you're intentionally taking a 2 second long exposure and want to keep some highlights. Or take a shorter exposure. Or multiple exposures and merge them into an HDR.
07-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Rent or borrow a couple of them and take the same photo under the same conditions. The Sigma 12-24 is for film or full frame. I think it's the widest full frame lens available that's not a fisheye. That's why it's so expensive, not the quality. It's the full frame equivalent of their 8-16.

The 15 gives you 86 degree view vs 99 for the 12mm, 109 for the 10mm, and 121 for the 8mm. That's a pretty big difference -- in your sample photos you probably wouldn't have been able to fit the entire building in at 15mm. Maybe in portrait orientation.

But definitely stick an ND filter on top of it next time you're intentionally taking a 2 second long exposure and want to keep some highlights. Or take a shorter exposure. Or multiple exposures and merge them into an HDR.
yeah, I will do just that. I will test out a few to see what works best.

I really want a 15mm ltd in general for myself. I may use it for work depending on circumstance and building layout/location/height. I know it has some amazing IQ.

I think I may have wrote 2 second shutter and it was misunderstood. I meant for that to mean 2 sec shutter release to minimize camera shake. Not 2 sec long exposures. None of the shots taken were that long. I will definitely used filter(s) if I choose to go that route next time tho.
11-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've not posting in this thread before, I'm not sure I knew it existed. This is one of those lenses that the more you use it the more you like it. Here are two pics taken from pretty much the same spot, though a little different composition. The first one was a contest winner at a photography exposition in October, that was pretty cool since the camera store that was the main sponsor doesn't carry Pentax.

02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #143

Few from Rome:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
Few from Rome:
Wow, really nice pictures, showing off what the Tamron 10-24 can do!
02-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #145

Thx!
Yes, can do a lot for le$$. It is a nice replacement for the kit lense.
04-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Haven't used it in a while and so I took out my 10-24 for a spin this past weekend in the nice weather...

03-28-2015, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had this lens for a couple of months now, and it's great fun. Allright, it's not mega sharp like a top notch "limited" prime, but having paid 180€ for my second hand copy, I won't complain...
Here are some photos:

A street in Rouen

Rouen cathedral

A beach in Bretagne (Pointe de Penvins)

An abandonned oyster farm in the Golfe de Morbihan (Bretagne)
12-18-2015, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this lens more and more. It's perfect for gothic cathedrals...

10mm F 3.5

19mm F 4.0

10mm, F 6.3
11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #149

Hi, I too have the lens. My only gripe is very poor sharpness. But the PS comes in handy
11-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #150
Veteran Member

My copy should be here Friday. I'm looking forward to receiving it. It'll be my first ultra-wide angle lens. I've also got a DA-21mm Limited coming.