Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 10-24mm club

Following the success that the Sigma 10-20mm club have some of the beautifull photo that are posted , I am starting a similar tread. Peoples also can give opinion and advice on that lense like in the Sigma 10-20mm tread

I have that lenses with my K-X and I am founding out this is the lens I prefer the most because of the great versatility

Here the spec
Tamrom SP 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 .

Let's do it

K-x f5 at 10mm +1EV, AV mode with CPL filter

This a the Black Lake in St-Jean de Matha North of Montreal , Quebec

06-03-2010, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the tamron 10-24mm and enjoy using it. I have enjoyed looking through the superb photos in the sigma 10-20 club and have learned a lot from them. Here are a few of my earlyer attempts with the tamron:

Pentax User Photo Gallery - Landscape

06-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MattGunn, very good
11-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #4

I just purchased the Tamron 10-24 and was initially happy to see that bobmaxja started a thread on this lens. But considering that there were only 3 posts and all of them were back in June, I'm wondering whether the lens, the thread (or both) are a dud. Or is this lens very unpopular amongst the Pentax crowd?
A similar thread for the 10-20 SIgma seems fairly active.
I hope I'm happy with my new lens and able to post some quality images posted soon.
Maybe that's all it will take to resurrect this thread from the dead?

11-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just compared the two lenses (Sig and Tam) side-by-side a few weeks ago and ended up keeping the Tamron SP AF 12-24 because I prefer its color rendering, it complements my SP AF 28-75 and I find the extra 4mm at the top end useful. For my purposes, IQ was pretty much a draw depending on the particular situation and post-processing involved. But it doesn't displace my DA 16-45 even within the FL overlap.

Earlier comments in the Sig 10-20 Club thread @ item #874 ( pacerr/UWA Twins )

H2
12-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
I just purchased the Tamron 10-24 and was initially happy to see that bobmaxja started a thread on this lens. But considering that there were only 3 posts and all of them were back in June, I'm wondering whether the lens, the thread (or both) are a dud. Or is this lens very unpopular amongst the Pentax crowd?
A similar thread for the 10-20 SIgma seems fairly active.
I hope I'm happy with my new lens and able to post some quality images posted soon.
Maybe that's all it will take to resurrect this thread from the dead?
I'd sure like to see some pics from your Tamron 10-24mm. Hope you'll be posting some soon.
12-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
I just compared the two lenses (Sig and Tam) side-by-side a few weeks ago and ended up keeping the Tamron SP AF 12-24 because I prefer its color rendering, it complements my SP AF 28-75 and I find the extra 4mm at the top end useful. For my purposes, IQ was pretty much a draw depending on the particular situation and post-processing involved.
With a deadline approaching, I am seriously considering the bargain Tam.10-24 vs the rather more costly Sig.8-16. I am really really interested in hearing comparisons of experience, and any comments about whether owners had to wade through one or more bad copies in order to get a good copy. Please?

12-18-2010, 01:20 AM   #8

I just got my copy of the Tammy 10-24 today. There's torrential rain forecast for the next 4 days here in Norcal, so I suspect I won't be able to shoot much outside. But I'm taking the lens to NYC over the holidays, so I hope to get some worthy shots to post here. I did take a few indoor low light shots wide open, and did not notice any of the corner softness or focus issues. So maybe I got a good one. Focus speed and accuracy seem to be more than adequate. The only weird thing is the hood is very wide and even reversed takes up quit a bit of space in your bag. But really a very minor quibble. So far I'm happy with it and the price cant be beat!

I'd say go for it. If you like it, you have till the 31st to send the rebate out or return it in mid January..
12-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have the 10-24 also. I've had it for about 18 months.

I deliberated about it and the Siggy and it was a comparative no-brainer.

The lens felt better and for me it pipped the Sisma in the IQ stakes too.

I took it out in the snow yesterday and will be posting images later but for now - here's one I prepared earlier.....Broardway Tower.

Cheers

MZ
12-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

A Few More

Another few shots taken with the Tammy 10-24

Playing In The Rock Pools

A Tree

River Thames

Waltham Abbey

Thanks for starting this post bobmaxja it's about time the Tammy got an airing!

Cheerz

MZ
12-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #11

Your pictures look great. I was able to run outside and get this quick snap, before the rain started again. I don't know if it was bad light, or me needing to learn how to use this lens properly, but the corners (lower right for sure) look really soft. Is this normal for a wide angle at 10mm? Is this what I can expect or does it get much better in good light and with better technique? I focused on the brick. I know its a terrible pic but the sky opened up 10 sec after this shot

LR3 also has lens correction...has anyone used it and what settings do you find work well for distortion/CA/vignetting?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
12-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I really want one!!! I am just waiting to see what I get for christmas just in case Santa has been checking my LBA list!
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Forum Member

And another - Taken yesterday..............

Cold Crosses

MZ
12-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I just got my copy of the Tammy 10-24 today. There's torrential rain forecast for the next 4 days here in Norcal, so I suspect I won't be able to shoot much outside.
I just placed my order today, promised to be here by Xmas. And I'm in your same storm track, 150 miles east of and 3500 feet above you, so if I'm lucky I'll get some indoor shots at the family gatherings and nothing much else till I GET OUT OF TOWN! If Carson Pass is open after Xmas I'll try to get up to Lake Tahoe for some lakeside mountain snowscapes. It will be good to NOT depend on the DA10-17, with all those trees leaning in at precipitous angles.

QuoteQuote:
I'd say go for it. If you like it, you have till the 31st to send the rebate out or return it in mid January..
Did you get an in-box rebate coupon, or online?
12-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #15

Rebate is here:
Amazon.com: Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics