Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #211
Forum Member

Another incredible image, the 8-16 does seem to lend itself to stunning pictures with HDR.
Must buy a tripod and have a go, I think I might have a few questions!
Nigel

09-26-2011, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #212

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trickletreat Quote
Another incredible image, the 8-16 does seem to lend itself to stunning pictures with HDR.
Must buy a tripod and have a go, I think I might have a few questions!
Nigel
You don't really need a tripod if the light is bright enough for the HDRs. The one above was handheld 5 exposures.

Here is a "normal" image (for me anyway) at 8mm and using Topaz B&W Effects. I did add some saturation back into it to bring it to my liking from being overly mutes color:

That post on the right really does lean. That is not all 8mm distortion
09-27-2011, 03:33 AM   #213
Forum Member

Another great image, it has a painting like quality, and the angle off the top of the pole along with the cloud formation, leads the eye well to the light house.
Thanks for the info re tripod usage.
Nigel
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #214
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hey Roland--great stuff--really like that 2nd shot especially. I see the shots were taken 5 days apart, and about a half hour away from each other. Were you also out on a boat of some sort for the 2nd shot?

JT
Hi Jewelltrail, yes the shots were probably taken 5 days apart as I went camping on back to back weekends. I live about 4 hours away from here and at this time of year I try to get as much camping/hiking/mountain photography in as I can. I find it the best time of year to go because 1) the summer crowds are largely gone, although I've found it to be still quite busy this year because of the nice late summer/fall weather, 2) the fall colours and fresh dusting of snow make for great photos, and 3) it's cooler and makes for more comfortable hikes.

On both of these weekends I hiked and travelled in Jasper National Park but the first weekend I was "forced" to stay in Mt. Robson provincial park because ALL of Jasper's campsites were full, even the overflow sites, which I was glad because Mt. Robson & campground were very nice. On my travel from Mt. Robson to Jasper (about 30-45mins) about half ways along is Yellowhead Lake with the nice views of Yellowhead mountain which is where the second photo was taken. I took the photo from near the boat launch on the shore. The lake is very clear and starts off shallow which is maybe what gives the impression of being on a boat.

I actually just came back from yet another camping trip (last one of the season as most of the sites are now closed and night temperatures are starting to drop below 0), but this time from Lake Louise, Banff National Park. Once again, my 8-16 came in handy and provided some spectacular shots. These 3 were from Bow Lake taken about an hour apart, the skies and weather conditions changed very rapidly:

Last edited by Roland303; 05-11-2012 at 09:21 AM.
09-28-2011, 04:09 PM - 4 Likes   #215

Sat morning - High tide. My usual routine , shoot before wife wake up. Went to Changi beach again for another round of shoot with shooting buddy . Was thinking to go to the rock area . But the high tide just forbid just from going over. Sunrise very early that day . Miss the 1st light but still manage to get a few shot . Hope you guys like it

1# The curve shape of the sky with the curve shape of the sand ripple form a so call Chinese "tai ci" S sharp hence I call it

- The Tai Ci Sunrise - (a friend just pm me in fb say that she say a eagle head with a wing on the sand . Natural just give pp so many imagination . haha)

2# A group of photographer was already camping there to shoot this tree when our group arrive . A bit pai seh to walk over . Just when I was waiting to find a chance to sneak in to take a shoot or 2 , I found out one of them are actually my school mate . He gave me a perfect excuse to walk over . LOL

-The fallen tree-

3# Nothing fancy here . Just a wave, the sun and the sky .

- Changi Wave part 2 -

4# The wave was pretty strong on that day . But the unwanted coconut just stay firmly on the ground . 1 though just enter my mind . Not everything can be wash away through time .....sorrow might fade .... but memories will always stay ....

-Sorrow can be wash away but not the memories ......-

09-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roland303 Quote
Hi Jewelltrail, yes the shots were probably taken 5 days apart as I went camping on back to back weekends. I live about 4 hours away from here and at this time of year I try to get as much camping/hiking/mountain photography in as I can. I find it the best time of year to go because 1) the summer crowds are largely gone, although I've found it to be still quite busy this year because of the nice late summer/fall weather, 2) the fall colours and fresh dusting of snow make for great photos, and 3) it's cooler and makes for more comfortable hikes.

On both of these weekends I hiked and travelled in Jasper National Park but the first weekend I was "forced" to stay in Mt. Robson provincial park because ALL of Jasper's campsites were full, even the overflow sites, which I was glad because Mt. Robson & campground were very nice. On my travel from Mt. Robson to Jasper (about 30-45mins) about half ways along is Yellowhead Lake with the nice views of Yellowhead mountain which is where the second photo was taken. I took the photo from near the boat launch on the shore. The lake is very clear and starts off shallow which is maybe what gives the impression of being on a boat.

I actually just came back from yet another camping trip (last one of the season as most of the sites are now closed and night temperatures are starting to drop below 0), but this time from Lake Louise, Banff National Park. Once again, my 8-16 came in handy and provided some spectacular shots. These 3 were from Bow Lake taken about an hour apart, the skies and weather conditions changed very rapidly:
Hi Roland--these are glorious, and even better than the last batch you posted--thanks. I too am a big hiker, and am about to set out for 2 weeks of hiking in the Northeast US for foliage scenery. For pretty much the same reasons you state above, I too find Fall the best time of the year to hike, though Winter hiking is very special too. Happy Trails!
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by supersimon27 Quote
Sat morning - High tide. My usual routine , shoot before wife wake up. Went to Changi beach again for another round of shoot with shooting buddy . Was thinking to go to the rock area . But the high tide just forbid just from going over. Sunrise very early that day . Miss the 1st light but still manage to get a few shot . Hope you guys like it

1# The curve shape of the sky with the curve shape of the sand ripple form a so call Chinese "tai ci" S sharp hence I call it

- The Tai Ci Sunrise - (a friend just pm me in fb say that she say a eagle head with a wing on the sand . Natural just give pp so many imagination . haha)

2# A group of photographer was already camping there to shoot this tree when our group arrive . A bit pai seh to walk over . Just when I was waiting to find a chance to sneak in to take a shoot or 2 , I found out one of them are actually my school mate . He gave me a perfect excuse to walk over . LOL

-The fallen tree-

3# Nothing fancy here . Just a wave, the sun and the sky .

- Changi Wave part 2 -

4# The wave was pretty strong on that day . But the unwanted coconut just stay firmly on the ground . 1 though just enter my mind . Not everything can be wash away through time .....sorrow might fade .... but memories will always stay ....

-Sorrow can be wash away but not the memories ......-

Light, compostions & subjects--FANTASTIC!

09-30-2011, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #218
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Hi Roland--these are glorious, and even better than the last batch you posted--thanks. I too am a big hiker, and am about to set out for 2 weeks of hiking in the Northeast US for foliage scenery. For pretty much the same reasons you state above, I too find Fall the best time of the year to hike, though Winter hiking is very special too. Happy Trails!

A trip out to eastern Canada/US for fall foliage is high on my list, I would love to see that one day. The colours out on the prairie are rather dull, although the aspens can be a nice bright yellow if conditions are right. Somehow, I find the fall colours in the mountains and interior BC a lot brighter and more colourful. I would love to see the reds of the maples. This winter I'm going to try snowshoeing in the mountains and visit some of the spots I go to in the summer to get another perspective from a different season. Enjoy your trip!

Spectacular alpine larches in fall colour, taken at Saddle Ridge, Lake Louise, Banff National Park (K5, Sigma 8-16 @8mm)

Last edited by Roland303; 05-11-2012 at 09:20 AM.
10-01-2011, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #219

I found it interesting that PhotoME will show the lens data perfectly but elsewhere it does not show up. Weird.

Here is one from this past week. Shot at 14mm:

10-09-2011, 03:06 AM   #220

Picked up one of these a couple of days ago but haven't really had a chance to get out with it yet, hopefully will get some pics over the next week. Certainly some great shots in this thread though.

Martyn
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #221
Inactive Account

LV at the Bay.......

The Science Art.........

10-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #222
Veteran Member

So many great shots guys, had to spread some 'likes' around. I am considering this lens and was worried about the no filter issue, but these results are most excellent. I imagine most of them are HDR.
10-13-2011, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #223

All of mine have been taken and processed in HDR. I'm an addict

Here is one taken at 8mm. What can I say, I like my house to lean. I don't mind the wide angle distortion at all.

10-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trig Quote
All of mine have been taken and processed in HDR. I'm an addict

Here is one taken at 8mm. What can I say, I like my house to lean. I don't mind the wide angle distortion at all.

What a beautiful house and setting, made more so with the HDR. The lean isn't distracting at all, and I hope to take advantage of that distortion for up close shots as well. Has anyone had any quality control issues with this wide angle? I know the 10-20mm people say they have to go through 2-3 copies to find a good one.
10-13-2011, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #225
Veteran Member

Great images in this thread and on this page.

Roland303, what a wonderful set, thanks neighbour!

Simon, great set as always, The Tai Ci Sunrise is spectacular, thanks!

Trig, words fail me. I'm not referring to just these images but to the body of your work that I've had the privilege of viewing. Outstanding and then some!

Regards