Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 717 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Capture Lights Quote
Is the flair control natural for this lens? such beautiful and gorgeous lights on the sand!
No, the flare resistance of the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 is simply abysmal. But there are methods of controlling it. I tend to stop the lens down quite a bit (Diffraction be damned). I also carefully control where the flare spot will appear so it is easier to clone out of the final image in lightroom.

Here is the original frame - as you can see the flare isn't that bad:

Pentax K5IIs Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ASPH EX DG ISO 80 1/100th @f/11

03-29-2014, 10:36 PM   #527

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No, the flare resistance of the sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 is simply abysmal. But there are methods of controlling it. I tend to stop the lens down quite a bit (Diffraction be damned). I also carefully control where the flare spot will appear so it is easier to clone out of the final image in lightroom.

Here is the original frame - as you can see the flare isn't that bad:

Pentax K5IIs Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 ASPH EX DG ISO 80 1/100th @f/11
Thanks for the tips, your logic and technique really helped in this situation.
Ill try to to keep that in mind, and use it during my future shots through the sun!
04-02-2014, 10:08 AM - 4 Likes   #528
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunset in St Petersburg FL @ 8mm from the weekend before this past one.

Last edited by gda13; 04-09-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: srgb
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #529
Veteran Member

Flickr

04-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #530
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Another cool photo and processing of this intriguing structure captured through your lens...I'm still not sure what it is but am guessing either a metro station or some sort of museum/art gallery?
04-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Another cool photo and processing of this intriguing structure captured through your lens...I'm still not sure what it is but am guessing either a metro station or some sort of museum/art gallery?
Well spotted, it's a modern art museum : Centre Georges Pompidou - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not really beautiful but interesting to photograph though.
04-03-2014, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #532

San Francisco from Twin Peaks. Cropped a bit. Shot at 8mm with a K01.

Attached Images

04-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #533
Forum Member

You know, that brings up a sense I've had about UWA's for a long time. I just don't feel diffraction limiting is as big a deal on these lenses. I have had shots not turn out as hoped shot at f16+ but honestly they have been the minority, enough so I get the feeling the focus was off or there was a smudge on the rear element (I am notorious at neglecting to clean the rear element of my lenses then spending hours trying to figure out what is wrong with the darned lens which was just fine upon last use.)

BTW, I love the colors in that shot...I just LOVE this lens. Once a person shoots with it I have the believe they should be OK with paying the higher prices for copies from sellers in Japan. I write that despite those prices bugging the crud outta me.

I guess I'm just missing my copy which is in for annual servicing and cleaning with CRIS getting ready for the late spring and summer when the weather is more conducive to me being able to get out and about better. So keep these great shots coming!
04-07-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #534
Pentaxian

Fisheye or corrected lens, which is better , you be the judge...

DA 10-17 fisheye. Looks like a barn roof.

Sigma 8-16 (corrected to keep the straight lines straight)
04-08-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #535
Pentaxian

Having lots of fun with the 8-16

It's great fun to use this lens in different situations, booth for landscapes and for more extreme shots.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #536
Forum Member

As it always is with good photography, right place - right time. Sunsets are extremely difficult to predict, often in conditions where you think it will be fantastic, something changes at the last minute and it turns out to be a complete dud.
Yeah, that's for sure. I was setup for a landscape of a client's hotel to show the ocean in the background in the early AM. It was SPECTACULAR and shot with my 77ltd. Steam rising off the water, beautiful fall colors of the wetlands foliage and decent light from the rising sun. After about 30mins of shooting had a wild idea of a pano and longer lens but by the time I setup the shot went *poof*...tried for 2-days and never got the same setup.

Same spot same setup only sunset, it was GREAT. Fog rolling in, sun setting and lots of colors, good waves crashing on rocks over at the beach...got three shots and the fog was already on top of the darned hotel. Last day to shoot the shot of course.

But yup, right place right time is what matters. I'll add one more thing, the willingness to be patient and WAIT for a single shot. For the same client above on the first day of the shoot he had a dozen places he figured I should shoot the first afternoon we were there. He wanted to go-go-go, in the mean time I simply started moving slower as I was seeing something just not sure what. Well he finally just left and I was alone for 3hrs more. I found the shot I wanted but knew it was going to be at least 90mins before the light was best...ended up with a cover on an area mag from that one shot. His hotel got GREAT pub and I got the shot. But it was pure WAG that the light would be right as I'd never been in that spot at sunset and who knows the next day maybe the conditions would not be there.

I dunno about you but since moving to digital I find I try to shoot too much and think less. Once in a while I think a tiny bit and viola, a shot turns up. And if it doesn't I still had a fun time out and about. I know shooting landscapes has helped me become more patient and better planner. Especially if considering the ever tricky sunset pano. Nice thing about our 8-16's...pano is almost a dirty word!
04-08-2014, 05:54 PM - 3 Likes   #537
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The wide field of view the sigma 8-16mm offers makes panoramic images a bit redundant.

04-09-2014, 12:33 PM - 4 Likes   #538
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fisheye or corrected lens, which is better , you be the judge...
No contest there. Are both at their corresponding wide ends?

The wide field of view the sigma 8-16mm offers makes panoramic images a bit redundant.
Nice colors.

-------------------------------
Enjoying my copy so far, many uses for this lens.

Festival of Speed over the weekend.

Last edited by gda13; 04-10-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: error
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #539
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
No contest there. Are both at their corresponding wide ends?
Yes, both at their wide ends...
04-21-2014, 03:47 AM - 3 Likes   #540
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
8-16 at 11mm

A quick HDR with some processing, I might try to work this one up a little more but I think it shows the potential of the lens.

From memory, 5 exposures at f11. Shot with a K-3.

John

Last edited by johnc; 05-12-2014 at 06:54 AM.