Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 717 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #571
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by when-daybreaks Quote
Yeah that's what I figured but I was hoping anyway lol thanks for the link
I had this lens on order with a reputable seller who could not get one to sell [for nine months] and also couldn't get any sense out of Sigma.

I went elsewhere in the end after I tracked one down in Pentax K mount.

It is a wonderful lens!

09-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jbarry Quote
t is a wonderful lens!
Providing you can find a decent copy. Though many users here seemed to have lucked out, I went through several copies before I found one that was perfect. But then again i'm rather picky when it comes to my lenses.
09-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Providing you can find a decent copy. Though many users here seemed to have lucked out, I went through several copies before I found one that was perfect. But then again i'm rather picky when it comes to my lenses.

It was a new lens...............................MINT
09-01-2014, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarry Quote
It was a new lens...............................MINT
So the good copies smell like....mint? damn, why didn't anyone tell me that.

09-01-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #575
Veteran Member

So the good copies smell like....mint? damn, why didn't anyone tell me that.
In Melbourne they smell like GOLD
09-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #576
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I finally decided to purchase one in order to shoot some tall ships, I did not have time to troll through several copies. I took it over to Sigma warranty (it was backfocusing terribly - out of the capability for the body to compensate). Sigma realigned the lens and made it perfect.

09-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #577
Veteran Member

What can potentially be wrong with them? other than front/back AF and maybe de-centering?
I bought mine 2nd hand from Steve ("bossa") who is, IIRC also pretty picky with lenses / QA. Didn't smell of mint (or his cat, thankfully)

I did a "rough" test handheld with 2 outdoor pictures of the same scene, one right way up and the other upside down and did some measurebating
Pixel peeping, I could pick a slight difference in one corner of the lens but I would have to repeat the test on a tripod with a brick wall or something to make sure it wasn't me. certainly not noticeable in out using it in the real world.
AF is pretty much dead on, but then everything more than 4 feet away is always in focus at any normal setting with this lens.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the weight of it. It's the same as 3 x DA15's !!

I'm on holiday in the next few weeks and was thinking to take only 15 , 31 , 18-135 but now I've seen some interesting European city shots with it a few pages back in this 8-16 thread so thinking maybe to bring it.

I used it a lot when hiking around, without family in tow, in central Australia couple of months ago (it was maybe 10-15% of shots), but this trip going to be the complete opposite.

09-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
The only thing I'm not so keen on is the weight of it. It's the same as 3 x DA15's !!
no kidding...

09-20-2014, 08:58 AM   #579
Forum Member

I've been looking into getting one of these lenses but aus. Stores don't seem to ship to the US. Everyone is out except 47th st photo. Are they a safe store to buy a lens from? They have it listed as available and $650 and the only other store I found was a McCain but theirs was $930 ..
09-21-2014, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #580
Forum Member

I've bought from 47th St a number of times over the years and like all the NY/east coast camera stores once upon a time, they were sketchy but I always had a good transaction. Today they are fine to deal with...remember you use a credit card, you're covered either way, same with using PayPal.
09-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #581
Forum Member

Okay thanks snipenekkid
09-22-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #582
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by when-daybreaks Quote
Okay thanks snipenekkid
you bet...those old "catalog"/"back-of-the-magazine" retailers have been affected by the web, for the better because they no longer need to do a lot of upselling and CC companies keep them very honest. Too easy to start a chargeback and win. So why put an already good profit at risk.

Of course you have to stick to the larger retailers and since there are enough of them still, they do compete on price pretty well. Won't get into the fact that MAP agreements being legal these days have raised prices for consumers...that one makes me too cranky. haha!
09-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stay cranky, kid.
09-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #584
Forum Member

hahaha, ya sure you betcha!
09-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #585
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
you bet...those old "catalog"/"back-of-the-magazine" retailers have been affected by the web, for the better because they no longer need to do a lot of upselling and CC companies keep them very honest. Too easy to start a chargeback and win. So why put an already good profit at risk.

Of course you have to stick to the larger retailers and since there are enough of them still, they do compete on price pretty well. Won't get into the fact that MAP agreements being legal these days have raised prices for consumers...that one makes me too cranky. haha!
I feel uninformed whats a MAP agreement?