Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #1501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lilly opening at dusk

A bit unconventional from what I normally see here...okay for the group?

K20D & FA 100mm macro

Last edited by rgknief60; 02-24-2014 at 05:12 PM.
01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #1502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
My Lexar USB drive case broke so I just had to take a picture of the PCB. Drive still works!

Slightly Cropped & Straightened

Actual Pixels

K5 & 200mm
I'm not seeing any photos, rgknief60....?
01-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #1503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Same here. No pics m8.
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #1504
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Same here. No pics m8.
Thanks for letting me know. I could see them fine on my computer. Don't understand why no one else could.

I had this problem once before when I tried to link a photo from my album on a PM. That individual could not see it either.

I must have some setting wrong. Any Ideas?

I edited the two posts and used the "manage attachments" button instead. That is what I did the last time I posted.

Are the photos visible this time?

01-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #1505
Pentaxian

Thanks for letting me know. I could see them fine on my computer. Don't understand why no one else could.

I had this problem once before when I tried to link a photo from my album on a PM. That individual could not see it either.

I edited the two posts and used the "manage attachments" button instead. That is what I did the last time I posted.

Yes, both posts show your images - nice - J
01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes! Nice shots.
01-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #1507
Veteran Member

Yepp :=)

That FA200 is nice eh?
Wouldnt happen to loose it somewere near here? Preferably somewere in my lap?
..and then just walk away?

I have a Canon FD200 mm converted to Pentax K mount and its nice, renders beautifully but its not the FA200......
You lucky B

01-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1508
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Yes, both posts show your images - nice - J
Yes! Nice shots.
Thanks. That shot was part of a depth of field study I made so I could better understand
how the lens works. It was one of those rare, still evenings where I could take a 30 second exposure.

I took almost 200 pictures in 15 sets varying the aperture and point of focus. I later thought
about focus stacking, but found that as the hour progressed, the plant itself had moved.
Not an outstanding subject due to deformity, but it served my purpose very well.

This is the original photo with the lighting adjusted, then the blue level reduced.

01-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yepp :=)

That FA200 is nice eh?
Wouldnt happen to loose it somewere near here? Preferably somewere in my lap?
..and then just walk away?

I have a Canon FD200 mm converted to Pentax K mount and its nice, renders beautifully but its not the FA200......
You lucky B
I might let you look through it!

Seriously though, I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked through the viewfinder. The clarity and colors...what the
reviews say is true.

I do hope that some day what I see and what I post intersect. It is most unforgiving. I rarely nail a handheld shot.
But it's a lot of fun. I'm just a beginner. As someone else here mentioned once, I'm glad these aren't apportioned
on the basis of skill! I sure wish I'd had one with my 20 year old eyes. And that I still had 20 year old eyes!

I get a greater percentage of "keepers" at present with my FA 100. A favorite "walk about" is the A 50 "macro."
Light, with enough magnification for much of what I do. They work great for those tight spots where the 200 won't fit.
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #1510
Veteran Member

Canon FD 200mm Macro Test

I just finished my conversion of a Canon FD 200mm Macro to Pentax K mount with auto aperture giving me green button metering.
Its nice, has some CA but thats easy to rid of in LR.

Heres 2 shots at 1:1 inspired by rgknief60 I didnt have any electronics around but opened an old laptops ram slot.
First shot is handheld at F11 I think.
Second is on a stand at an angle trying to catch the bokeh a bit.
Also each has the 100% crop. Not that bad for an old manual canon beast?

I too use the FA100 macro and its truly a great lens. My all time favorite macro but this canon might be great at butterflies and others not requiring 1:1 macro.
And I too had severe keep ratio problems but a couple of moths ago I got new lenses ( eyes) slightly stronger then previously and suddenly me keep ratio went up by several hundred percents.
Made a huge difference.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #1511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just finished my conversion of a Canon FD 200mm Macro to Pentax K mount with auto aperture giving me green button metering.
Its nice, has some CA but thats easy to rid of in LR.

Heres 2 shots at 1:1 inspired by rgknief60 I didnt have any electronics around but opened an old laptops ram slot.
First shot is handheld at F11 I think.
Second is on a stand at an angle trying to catch the bokeh a bit.
Also each has the 100% crop. Not that bad for an old manual canon beast?

I too use the FA100 macro and its truly a great lens. My all time favorite macro but this canon might be great at butterflies and others not requiring 1:1 macro.
And I too had severe keep ratio problems but a couple of moths ago I got new lenses ( eyes) slightly stronger then previously and suddenly me keep ratio went up by several hundred percents.
Made a huge difference.
You make that lens sing!

Much sharper, in focus than mine.

Glad the new lenses worked for you!
I know I loose pictures due to eyesight.

I'm not as steady as I used to be.
That 200 delayed plans for a flash setup.
01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #1512
Veteran Member

You make that lens sing!

Much sharper, in focus than mine.
Hehe. Thank you but I did throw away a bunch of failed frames.
Love the lens though.
Has taken me days to rebuild the mount to work as a P/K mount but it was all worth it and now I know how to do the next FD lens I get my hands on.
I have already converted a FD 80-200F4 L lens that is amazing and have been working on a 35-105F3.5 but need better screws for that one. The mount isnt seated properly.
Converting normal primes should be much simpler so Im looking to get perhaps a 100mm macro and the 50mm macro from Canon FD.
No idea how they render but if I do get them converted Ill post some here.

Heres a shot I took this summer using the Fd200mmF4 macro but since this was before conversion I used another little thing I made. An Fd to Pk adapter that also has auto aperture. That one is about a cm thick so it looses infinity Can focus down to 3.5meter or so. At least the shot shows the rendering of the lens.

01-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #1513

macro-itis lol

Hi every one - - this thread has such amazing images - WOW !! Obvioulsy I have lots to learn yet. Back in November2012, I bought the new K-30 and was trying out all the goodies - (as noted in my interval shooting thread) and decided to try out some of my old manual lenses. I attached the SMC PENTAX-M Macro 100mm f4 and threw my Rikenon 50 f2.8 into my pocket and headed out into the yard.
Though it was late Nov and yes in Canada - it wasn't too cold and I found a single dandilion blooming down in the back yard. As I approached I noticed movement and spotted this little bee busily grabbing every last milligram of pollen he could find. The second shot is with me hold the 50mm face to face with the 100 for some intense macro.

Both images are hand held - a rarity for me as I am always vibrating lol..

BUT - topic shoots are fun - can hardly wait til the next adventure starts
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #1514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hehe. Thank you but I did throw away a bunch of failed frames.
Love the lens though.
Has taken me days to rebuild the mount to work as a P/K mount but it was all worth it and now I know how to do the next FD lens I get my hands on.
I have already converted a FD 80-200F4 L lens that is amazing and have been working on a 35-105F3.5 but need better screws for that one. The mount isnt seated properly.
Converting normal primes should be much simpler so Im looking to get perhaps a 100mm macro and the 50mm macro from Canon FD.
No idea how they render but if I do get them converted Ill post some here.

Heres a shot I took this summer using the Fd200mmF4 macro but since this was before conversion I used another little thing I made. An Fd to Pk adapter that also has auto aperture. That one is about a cm thick so it looses infinity Can focus down to 3.5meter or so. At least the shot shows the rendering of the lens.

So you are a talented machinist as well as photographer! And another outstanding shot.

It would be great if you could post a tutorial sometime (with photos, if possible) of both of your projects. Those A* & FA 200 macros are so rare I'm thinking that others would like to take advantage of what you've learned.

I've watched my father work on an engine lathe since I was a kid. Today he received what he's always wanted: a small milling machine was delivered to the door.

He's been thinking more and more about buying one ever since I purchased a rotary table to make an indexing plate for my panorama head a couple of years ago. He built the hard stuff. Using a drill press, my rotary table, and a cutter as a mill, he managed to machine the brass parts needed.

I've been trying to figure out what might make good subjects--and ways to overcome DOF issues--in order to make some macro panoramics. Have you or has anyone else tried that ? Closest I've come is my A* 300 and Pentax helicoid extension. I was in an area where we were not allowed to leave the trail. I overlapped 3 shots to get the detail I wanted.

Followed this grasshopper until it found what it thought was a fair bit of camouflage. Then it sat still long enough for me to set up the tripod and take a few photos. Both images cropped to avoid large expanses of uninteresting rock.

K20D & FA 200

01-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #1515
Veteran Member

So you are a talented machinist as well as photographer! And another outstanding shot.

It would be great if you could post a tutorial sometime (with photos, if possible) of both of your projects. Those A* & FA 200 macros are so rare I'm thinking that others would like to take advantage of what you've learned.

Naa. Im just a very stubborn man with to much time.....
Definitively not a machinist even though I wish I had better tools. I use a hand drill, some screwdrivers, aluminum sheet for parts and a ton of patience. Trial and error mostly.
I have been thinking about some sort of tutorial but I never get around doing it. I will though. Maybe my next project.

I've been trying to figure out what might make good subjects--and ways to overcome DOF issues--in order to make some macro panoramics. Have you or has anyone else tried that ? Closest I've come is my A* 300 and Pentax helicoid extension. I was in an area where we were not allowed to leave the trail. I overlapped 3 shots to get the detail I wanted.

Followed this grasshopper until it found what it thought was a fair bit of camouflage. Then it sat still long enough for me to set up the tripod and take a few photos. Both images cropped to avoid large expanses of uninteresting rock.

K20D & FA 200
Macro Panoramics!
Thats an idea
I have been doing some panorama shots simply using a medium to wide lens, mostly my Color-Ultron 50mm. I just take several shots and then lets Photoshop stitch them together. Works pretty well and why not do the same with macros. The subject question in those shots might be harder to figure out.
Could be something like a trail of ants with some bug action/fight on one side and something calmer on the other.. Drama and variety.