Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 03:16 AM   #2896
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Dancing In The Morning

07-03-2018, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2897
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Full Glory

07-03-2018, 05:47 AM - 6 Likes   #2898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I have long since found that I get far, far more keepers using flash. I like to go out early AM, especially about September, "bug hunting." Using a tripod-mounted camera and natural light to avoid the black backgrounds typical of flash images, far too many of the images are slightly soft because of subject motion. For insects, if I cannot use at least 1/200, the risk of motion blur is too great for me. Hard enough to find subjects - - no way I'll risk losing such opportunities using a technique that has proven unreliable in the past.
We have one of the largest indoor butterfly exhibits in the United States here in the spring. Over the years I tried all kinds of techniques. Eventually I settled on using a flash. The lighting in the conservatory is terrible. Some places are so dark it is difficult to achieve proper focus. I usually get two looks. One is of dismay at my use of unatural light. The other is of curiosity. I will get asked how I manage to get pictures to turn out with the flash. On my K3 I made a User setting to utilize HSS. I use the same settings on the K-1. ISO is maxed at 400, Tv is typically around 1/200-1/400s, apeture varies for Dof requirements. I adjust the output of the flash as needed. I have found the PTL on the AF 540 FGZII to be pretty reliable. I bring along a few diffusers and a soft box. I would be lying if I did not admit the whole thing is still trial and a lot of error. However learning as you go along is part of the experience. The plus end for me is an image like this.

K-1, Sigma 180 Macro, AF 540 FGZII, and Gary Fong diffuser.
ISO 400, 1/400s, F11

07-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #2899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
We have one of the largest indoor butterfly exhibits in the United States here in the spring. Over the years I tried all kinds of techniques. Eventually I settled on using a flash. The lighting in the conservatory is terrible. Some places are so dark it is difficult to achieve proper focus. I usually get two looks. One is of dismay at my use of unatural light. The other is of curiosity. I will get asked how I manage to get pictures to turn out with the flash. On my K3 I made a User setting to utilize HSS. I use the same settings on the K-1. ISO is maxed at 400, Tv is typically around 1/200-1/400s, apeture varies for Dof requirements. I adjust the output of the flash as needed. I have found the PTL on the AF 540 FGZII to be pretty reliable. I bring along a few diffusers and a soft box. I would be lying if I did not admit the whole thing is still trial and a lot of error. However learning as you go along is part of the experience. The plus end for me is an image like this.

K-1, Sigma 180 Macro, AF 540 FGZII, and Gary Fong diffuser.
ISO 400, 1/400s, F11
Very nice Michael - I'll have to try using flash in the future.

07-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2900
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Very nice Michael - I'll have to try using flash in the future.
Thank you Chip, I have both versions of the AF 540 flash. The second and current version is by far the best flash I have ever used. The AF 540 FGZII is a completely different flash the original. I need HSS flash and AF 540ii seems to work best for that plus it is weather sealed.
07-04-2018, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2901
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Moth behind bars
Look closely for details.

2018.07.04, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, CANADA

Noctuelle de Baltimore* / Baltimore Snout [Hypena baltimoralis]
(*Nom français à valider)

Technique:
---------
Empilement de 12 images / 12 images stack (Zerene Stacker / PMax method)
Pentax K-1 + SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
1/4s, ƒ/8, ISO 400 g(lumière naturelle / natural light)

Noctuelle derrière les barreaux / Moth behind bars

(x-posted)
07-04-2018, 03:58 PM   #2902
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Moth behind bars
Look closely for details.

2018.07.04, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, CANADA

Noctuelle de Baltimore* / Baltimore Snout [Hypena baltimoralis]
(*Nom français à valider)

Technique:
---------
Empilement de 12 images / 12 images stack (Zerene Stacker / PMax method)
Pentax K-1 + SMC Pentax-D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro
1/4s, ƒ/8, ISO 400 g(lumière naturelle / natural light)

Noctuelle derrière les barreaux / Moth behind bars

(x-posted)
Very impressive. I have never gotten around to stacking but this is a reason to learn it.

07-04-2018, 06:41 PM - 4 Likes   #2903
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A few from my Vivitar/Pentax/Cosina/et all.... 100mm f/3.5 Macro

07-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #2904
Veteran Member

Us "Dabblers"...

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
IMHO

you have dabblers ( talented and/or less - me - ) or people who specialize

in many areas of photography

this is especially true with macro

use of different techniques

" field " vs. " lab "

the benefit of being a dabbler using a true macro lens - the lenses are generally very good for photography even if not used for macro

Exactly and Amen! I have the Pentax 35mm 1:2.8 limited and a Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro. I use both a LOT more as "regular" lenses than I do macro.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 10:12 PM ----------

I've been trying to learn macro ever since I screwed a Spiratone extension tube between my Asahi Pentax S and its f2.2 pre-set Takumar, but sometimes I still foul up.

I've been trying since about 1978 when I used a reversal adapter on my K1000 with my Pentax A 50mm 1:2. Yeah, those were the days (I still have the adapter)
07-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #2905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
I've been trying since about 1978 when I used a reversal adapter on my K1000 with my Pentax A 50mm 1:2. Yeah, those were the days (I still have the adapter)
I still have the zebra-stripe Spiratone extension-tube set, and still use them, albeit rarely.
07-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #2906
Veteran Member

Not too much else, though....

I still have the zebra-stripe Spiratone extension-tube set, and still use them, albeit rarely.
Just offhand, I can't think of anything else that I have left over from that year. 1978 was my first year with an SLR. I remember telling my wife that I wanted to get a "Real" camera and got the K1000 at K-mart Anyway, getting off the macro track so I'd better stop reminiscing on this thread and post a couple photos with my Pentax M 100mm macro and my first DSLR, the K10D. This was my second dedicated macro lens after the 50mm 1:4 macro. I was testing what I had read about ways of figuring out how much magnification a lens produced in February of 2012. (Well, maybe a little reminiscing)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #2907
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Just offhand, I can't think of anything else that I have left over from that year. 1978 was my first year with an SLR. I remember telling my wife that I wanted to get a "Real" camera and got the K1000 at K-mart Anyway, getting off the macro track so I'd better stop reminiscing on this thread and post a couple photos with my Pentax M 100mm macro and my first DSLR, the K10D. This was my second dedicated macro lens after the 50mm 1:4 macro. I was testing what I had read about ways of figuring out how much magnification a lens produced in February of 2012. (Well, maybe a little reminiscing)

I have three items from my very early days with 35mm, all which have survived multiple changes of cameras: 1) the Spiratone extension tubes; 2) a Pentax close-up filter specifically designed for their normal focal length lenses because when it is attached, focus starts at the close-focusing point of the normal lens without the close-up filter; and 3) a Braun two AA cell all-manual strobe that still works perfectly except that the slide-off battery compartment door is too loose to be trusted (I wrap a rubber around when I sometimes use the flash). Of these, the extension tubes are the oldest SFAIR.
07-06-2018, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #2908
Veteran Member

Just noticed a little moth on the wall so grabbed the K3II and 100mm WR to grab a couple of shots.

Portrait of a Moth
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Moth

Last edited by Mike.P®; 07-06-2018 at 12:44 PM.
07-06-2018, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Just noticed a little moth on the wall so grabbed the K3II and 100mm WR to grab a couple of shots.

Portrait of a Moth

Moth
Well shot Mike.
07-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #2910
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Nice shooting, Mike.