Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5966 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2022, 11:21 PM   #4636
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A tiny (tiny!!) spider that had spun its orb web across the two upturned edges of a leaf. Zeiss Milvus 100mm f2, Canon mount via adapter on a Panasonic GX8
That looks tiny indeed, am i mistaken or is the spider slightly out of focus? The water droplets seem sharpest.

07-28-2022, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #4637
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
That looks tiny indeed, am i mistaken or is the spider slightly out of focus? The water droplets seem sharpest.

Could be the focus is not spot-on. It may also be a consequence of a significant crop as it was not possible to get in closer because of surrounding foliage = moving would have shaken the plant on which the spider built its web, and there go many if not all the water droplets that really make the image.

FYI: Here is the uncropped image. Notice that I also rotated the image clockwise to get the top edge of the web approximately level.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-29-2022 at 03:46 AM.
07-28-2022, 10:53 PM   #4638
Pentaxian

Could be the focus is not spot-on. It may also be a consequence of a significant crop as it was not possible to get in closer because of surrounding foliage = moving would have shaken the plant on which the spider built its web, and there go many if not all the water droplets that really make the image.

FDY: Here is the uncropped image. Notice that I also rotated the image clockwise to get the top edge of the web approximately level.
Wow, that's a significant crop indeed! All the more impressive. And a very very small spider.
07-29-2022, 11:15 PM   #4639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI: Here is the uncropped image. Notice that I also rotated the image clockwise to get the top edge of the web approximately level.
Very nice.

08-01-2022, 06:35 AM - 5 Likes   #4640
Pentaxian

Synaphe punctalis? K-3 III at 1:1 with a Schneider Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 line scan lens (now renamed Zirconia 0.09/1.0x V48), illuminated by bounced flash.

08-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #4641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Synaphe punctalis? K-3 III at 1:1 with a Schneider Xenon-Zirconia 2.8/89-0001 line scan lens (now renamed Zirconia 0.09/1.0x V48), illuminated by bounced flash.
Nicely done with lots of detail. This would also be a nice subject for pixel shift. I shot a moth a few years ago in the woods with natural ligtht. It had long scales on the trailing edge of the wing, similar to yours. It was an unusually still day. Pixel shift clearly revealed the the ends of the scales were serrated. Pixel shift is probably a bit more challenging with the K-3 III than the K-1 I was using.
08-06-2022, 03:33 PM   #4642
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Nicely done with lots of detail. This would also be a nice subject for pixel shift. I shot a moth a few years ago in the woods with natural ligtht. It had long scales on the trailing edge of the wing, similar to yours. It was an unusually still day. Pixel shift clearly revealed the the ends of the scales were serrated. Pixel shift is probably a bit more challenging with the K-3 III than the K-1 I was using.
Thank you! Pixelshift would be great for a subject like this especially with a high-resolution lens, but is not an option with flash.

08-06-2022, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #4643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but is not an option with flash
Especially if you are working handheld. The bounced flash worked great to reduce the shadows.

The only way I've heard to do it is using a tripod with a low light setup so one can trigger the flash manually for each of the four shifts. I wish Pentax would incorporate a flash signal for each of the shifts so it could be done automatically. The flash would need to cycle fairly quickly, or fire at 1/32nd or 1/64th to make all four.

XPost. Was mostly breezy, so am thankful for this bit of calm while I captured this bumblebee. Distance to flower was 10-15 feet, so was happy with this deep crop. K-1 & 200mm

Pink Coneflower with Bumblebee
08-07-2022, 10:30 PM - 6 Likes   #4644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Éphémère de ruisseau photographiée sur un cadre de porte. / Stream Mayfly captured on a door frame.

Note: species incerta / Uncertain species
D'après iNaturalist, il semble que ça correspondrait for possiblement à l'espèce suivante: / According to iNaturalist it's pretty sure that the species is:

Maccaffertium modestum
Fam. Heptageniidae
Order Ephemeroptera

Heptagénie modeste / Modest Flat-Headed Mayfly [Maccaffert? | Flickr

Heptagénie modeste / Modest Flat-Headed Mayfly [Maccaffertium modestum] sp. inc., Fam. Heptageniidae
#PENTAX
Pentax K-3 + SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR
[EXIF in flickr]
08-12-2022, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a video of a cicada emerging and pumping up it's wings. I gave it the opportunity to climb from the chain link fence to a stick so I could relocate and better document the process.

The video is composed of several videos spiced together. The total shooting time was about 1:15 over a span of 1:45. I I batch edited about 139,000 frames and re-encoded most of the video at 120fps to shorten the watching time to 19 minutes.

The light was relatively low. It was shot using my K-1 and 200mm last summer. I was unable to get any usable footage in the low light using a K-3 III. That may or may not be the camera's fault.

This is one of my few efforts at video, and it shows. Go easy on me! I hope you find the metamorphasis interesting.

Due to file size (medium quality > 3GB) I was unable to upload the video to flickr, so it is on my Google drive. As it takes up a fair bit of the free drive space, It will only be there until I need the space for something else. Xpost

Last edited by rgknief60; 08-13-2022 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Add Frame from Video
08-14-2022, 01:40 PM - 4 Likes   #4646
Pentaxian

Dry paeony leaf. K-1 and Tokina AT-X Macro 90mm 1:2.5, focus-stacked from twenty frames taken at f/5.6 with ZereneStacker (crossposted from Tokina Bokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 Macro and More thread).

08-14-2022, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #4647
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dry paeony leaf. K-1 and Tokina AT-X Macro 90mm 1:2.5, focus-stacked from twenty frames taken at f/5.6 with ZereneStacker (crossposted from Tokina Bokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 Macro and More thread).

Wonderfully executed studio image. Lighting is perfect.
08-15-2022, 03:16 AM   #4648
Pentaxian

Wonderfully executed studio image. Lighting is perfect.
Thank you kindly! This was natural window light – if you will, the late 19th century portrait studio technique…
08-15-2022, 05:27 AM   #4649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you kindly! This was natural window light – if you will, the late 19th century portrait studio technique…
I believe the ideal was a room with large windows on the north side, to obtain soft natural lighting.
08-15-2022, 07:57 PM - 6 Likes   #4650
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basil. Got sort of carried away: 459 image stack, manual rack & pinion rail. I trashed the first stack attempt as it is too hard to edit without slabs when the DOF is so thin. I started over to obtain slabs from which to edit. That made all the difference. It was a couple hour edit in Zerene, followed by levels in Faststone. Cropped a bit of stacking artifact off the bottom. Second image is actual pixel crop.

Basil Number 2

Basil Number 2 - Actual Pixel Crop