Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5993 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nope! You're both wrong!
He appeared from the front yard as I parked my white car in the garage, landing on the middle of its roof, just sitting there.
Along comes me with a massive K20D+grip+540FGZ, climbing up on the roof up close to the critter and flashing away at him. Seems it distressed him enough to pounce on me after every third shot or so. He really hated it, but I just kept going...
So the reflection is natural. PP only done to enhance colours and contrast.
Lol

I just saw your early post in this thread with another shot of that same guy... and read the story about the car roof and all
Nice story about the pouncing. It should be a bit painful to get great shots right?

To Clou:
I have that lenses little brother but the Vivitar version made by Komine (55mm f2.8 Macro 1:1) and its extremely sharp and well built. Probably the sharpest lens I have. I would love to get my hands on an PK/A version of that or your 90mm lens... some day....

Nice shots !

Heres another shot taken with a Pentax-A 50mm 2.8 macro.
I didnt like that lens so i sold it but this shot came out interesting.
The problem it has is that it only has 5 blades and a very disturbing bokeh most of the times.
This image is over processed and odd but anyways....

Last edited by aliasant; 01-19-2011 at 05:25 PM.
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #47
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
Heres another shot taken with a Pentax-A 50mm 2.8 macro.
I didnt like that lens so i sold it but this shot came out interesting.
The problem it has is that it only has 5 blades and a very disturbing bokeh most of the times.
This image is over processed and odd but anyways....
But it works nicely.
Well done with this one mate.
01-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #48
Inactive Account

Wow those are the most awesome pics!!! EVERYONE'S are so great! I am interested in Macro but I don't have the knowledge of lenses. I have a K100D. Any opinions on a good "starter" beginner macro lens?
01-19-2011, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
FA 50mm f2.8 Macro

01-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #50
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leana Quote
Any opinions on a good "starter" beginner macro lens?
Any that you see mentioned here Leana!
Then start knowing how to use your lights.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
FA 50mm f2.8 Macro
Frozen in time... I like.
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nope! You're both wrong!
He appeared from the front yard as I parked my white car in the garage, landing on the middle of its roof, just sitting there.
Along comes me with a massive K20D+grip+540FGZ, climbing up on the roof up close to the critter and flashing away at him. Seems it distressed him enough to pounce on me after every third shot or so. He really hated it, but I just kept going...
So the reflection is natural. PP only done to enhance colours and contrast.
Wow nice, Ash! The reflection was really cool.
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro

A very small crop, shot @ f 3.5. This lens is so versatile that it is amazing: shoot portraits, landscapes or macro to your heart's delight. Lens is a fantastic value!

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
01-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Clou Quote
Thanks Ash - the bee in number three is indeed moving. I included this one, because it is not so common to see motion blur in a macro photo.
This one is not really a hit in the technical sense, but I like the motion blur:
01-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
FA 50mm f2.8 Macro

Fascinating!
Especially the first one. Couldnt stop staring at it

To Ash: Thanx m8
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Love those FA50mm f2.8 shots Dadi !

That isn't a lense I'd normally go for - too short a working distance to live subjects but those are lovely.
01-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #56

I know most of you here are using AF and 1:1 macro lenses, but does anyone have any thoughts on the:

M100/4 macro (1:2)
M50/4 macro (1:2)

I have the opportunity to get them at decent prices and am interested in hearing thoughts/seeing samples.
01-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
That's a wonderful shot of an amazing creature - I'm fascinated by Praying Mantis !
Thanks, Frogfish, that one was quite hard to shoot with the MF lens, as he was constantly moving around! There's more praying mantis shots from that session (including other species) at my website (link). They were all shot with the Tamron SP 35-80 (Adaptall-2) macro lens.

Last edited by 9littlebees; 01-20-2011 at 08:34 AM.
01-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 9littlebees Quote
Thanks, Frogfish, that one was quite hard to shoot with the MF lens, as he was constantly moving around! There's more praying mantis shots from that session (including other species) at my website (link). They were all shot with the Tamron SP 35-80 macro lens.
I'll check out your site as I love PMs.

Most 1:1 and above macro shots as shot using MF - even with AF lenses, it's usually more accurate though there are techniques you can use with AF that I also employ quite often.

Personally I wouldn't use a 50 macro lense as the minimum focus distance is usually too short for many skittish insects to permit, hence the 90 / 100 / 105 focal distance is much more popular and would be my recommendation for anyone thinking of buying a 1:1 macro lense. And looking at the lenses you have the 100 would fit in there perfectly !

Light is absolutely critical in macro shooting since you are getting in so close and that means less light on your subject. So 2.5 / 2.8 lenses are the norm there. Of course if you have a good light set-up too (flashes or LEDs) then an f4 could be perfectly suitable.

Same goes if you have a K5, Kr or Kx and can utilise higher ISOs - although I haven't had a chance to try this yet since it's Winter here and all the insects are under a few inches of snow (well milimetres not inches - it just feels like that since it's Shanghai and we're not supposed to have snow) !

Last edited by Frogfish; 01-20-2011 at 04:59 AM.
01-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks, Frogfish, that one was quite hard to shoot with the MF lens, as he was constantly moving around! There's more praying mantis shots from that session (including other species) at my website (link). They were all shot with the Tamron SP 35-80 macro lens.
Just taken a look at your website - those are pretty amazing little insects ! 3 of them on one hand ! Pity I'm not in the UK otherwise I'd be a client for sure !
01-20-2011, 05:16 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Love those Mantis!. Almost bought one last spring but I realised my cat would feast on it after 3 seconds of it being in my apartment....
Theyr are out of this world though. Extremely photogenic too

About the lenses.
I had the 100mm f4.0 but sold it.
Maybe I had a bad copy or maybe it just needed some cleaning but I never liked it.
It also needs an extension tube to get you past 1:2 and that together with a rather slow aparture manually focusing would be quite hard.

I guess the same stands for the 50mm f4.

I guess it depends on how close you wanna get and how lucky you are getting a good copy.

They say they are pretty damn good lenses though but personally I have never liked the pentax glass I have had The only glass I still keep is the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 just because its a convenient lens.... but to be honest I never use that one either...