Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5985 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 09:07 AM - 4 Likes   #2266
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Bradford Pear taken with Pentax K-x and Pentax-M 50/4 Macro by Jason Doss, on Flickr

03-17-2016, 12:25 PM - 6 Likes   #2267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

meal time

03-18-2016, 03:05 PM - 6 Likes   #2268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
645Z with the A 120/4 Macro

XP: Medium Format Photo Thread
03-25-2016, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #2269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

D FA 100mm Macro WR on the K50. I am not the best at macro photography but I still enjoy doing it.

03-27-2016, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2270
Pentaxian

Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro

03-28-2016, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #2271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

50mm f2.8 APO Componon reverse mounted on a K5, Stack, all images taken @ f2.8
Attached Images

03-28-2016, 03:41 AM - 10 Likes   #2272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bee and Peach Blossom.

03-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #2273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Bee and Peach Blossom.
Great capture, and DOF, especially at 1/160th without flash.

That FA 100mm is one of my favorite lenses for macro, and it did well at an event for me too.

I used the lens (mostly at F2.8, low light, no flash) for a weekend convention. I got feedback
that the participants were glad that the camera (K-5) and lens was unobtrusive, unlike "monster
lenses" other photographers used. It gave me just enough reach without being in someone's face.
03-28-2016, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #2274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please remember your security, and the security of others when posting...

There is a saying that "the purpose of a lock is to keep a honest person honest five minutes longer." I'd personally like to hang on to that 5 minutes!

I just ran across this article from September 2015 yesterday, and it gave me food for thought. I also read in a different article some time past that keys should never be visible in public longer than it takes to use them due to this issue.

The gist of the article is that the entire line of TSA compliant luggage locks is now useless due to a photo. And a picture of our own keys, or other personal items can come back to haunt us.

I've seen great macro pictures with keys. It would sure be a shame for someone here to lose their macro gear (among other things) by posting their keys here.

Of course, it goes without saying that once a lock's use is finished, pictures of the key can do no harm, unless it is a universal key of some kind. That is not so common now but still possible. Back in the late '70s or early '80's an uncle who serviced Coke machines showed me a set of keys he claimed would open 95% of all vending machines in operation at that time in the USA.

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but I'm going to be careful, even with geotagging. The geotagging of some personal items I'll remove. Also geotagging of some of the flora & fauna of which I shoot macros I'll remove, to help conserve them, especially if threatened or uncommon in my area. I'm sure that there are lots things I've not even thought of that could be sensitive.

Perhaps we can watch out watch out for each other, and if we see someone post something sensitive, PM them so they are aware of any risks. My thanks for anyone who does that for me in the future.

Anybody seen my shiny black bike lock stolen in 1990? Here's the key if you need it!

Flickr
03-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #2275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
50mm f2.8 APO Componon reverse mounted
Nice stack. DOF is razor thin at F2.8. What software do you like?

I've got a reverse ring coming, as well as a ring that mounts on the bayonette to protect it. You can also add a protective filter if you like.

Thomas Shahan is a Pentax user who takes incredible shots with lenses mounted on reverse rings mounted on extension tubes.

There are also fine images in the Macro by any Means club that employ the use of lenses on reverse rings, on the off chance someone does not know about that club.
03-29-2016, 02:18 AM   #2276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Great capture, and DOF, especially at 1/160th without flash.

That FA 100mm is one of my favorite lenses for macro, and it did well at an event for me too.

I used the lens (mostly at F2.8, low light, no flash) for a weekend convention. I got feedback
that the participants were glad that the camera (K-5) and lens was unobtrusive, unlike "monster
lenses" other photographers used. It gave me just enough reach without being in someone's face.
Thank you. Yes, it is a really nice lens -- surprisingly small considering the fact that it is 100mm, f2.8, a macro and it covers full frame.
03-29-2016, 03:39 AM   #2277
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice stack. DOF is razor thin at F2.8. What software do you like?

I've got a reverse ring coming, as well as a ring that mounts on the bayonette to protect it. You can also add a protective filter if you like.

Thomas Shahan is a Pentax user who takes incredible shots with lenses mounted on reverse rings mounted on extension tubes.

There are also fine images in the Macro by any Means club that employ the use of lenses on reverse rings, on the off chance someone does not know about that club.
I use Zerene Stacker. Here's another bud done with the same set-up.
Attached Images

03-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #2278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Here's another bud
Real nice. Not as easy as you make it look. It would be fun to do a macro time lapse and see those buds open, but on the other hand, it's nice to have a life!

If we really want to get carried away, imagine pixel shift focus stacking with the K-1! I'm sure there will be plenty of people do that!

Last program I used was helicon focus. I've used both Zerene & Helicon successfully during the trial period. Don't know which I prefer. My major problem is getting enough slices, or having them evenly spaced with my rig. And the eyesight seems to have great days, and at other times merely good days! I'm sure thankful for liveview. I'd love to get an an automated rig, but K-1 is calling...so have to save my pennies!

Last edited by rgknief60; 03-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.
03-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #2279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first macro effort not using standard macro lens

I set up a Pentax-A 50mm lens with a reversing ring and installed in a set of bellows. Here are the results of my first efforts. I would like to do bugs on flowers, but this rig seems a little unwieldy for the purpose, what with wind and outside conditions, so I will probably revert to the Pentax-M 100mm f 4.0 macro lens for that purpose. I will appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #2280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Real nice. Not as easy as you make it look. It would be fun to do a macro time lapse and see those buds open, but on the other hand, it's nice to have a life!

If we really want to get carried away, imagine pixel shift focus stacking with the K-1! I'm sure there will be plenty of people do that!

Last program I used was helicon focus. I've used both Zerene & Helicon successfully during the trial period. Don't know which I prefer. My major problem is getting enough slices, or having them evenly spaced with my rig. And the eyesight seems to have great days, and at other times merely good days! I'm sure thankful for liveview. I'd love to get an an automated rig, but K-1 is calling...so have to save my pennies!
Thanks for the compliment. I'm not as good at stacking as I'd like to be, especially not as consistent. I have trouble with hazy ghosts around the edges of large stacks, primarily because I have not been responsible enough to go through each image and remove the severely OOF areas.