Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2019, 11:38 AM - 4 Likes   #3361
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Focus Stacking in the Field

I have always had a strong preference for using natural light in macro photography. On film, I could only do this on the sunniest of days, so I often had to compromise my wishes and add a half-power flash (an old Helios with a warm filter inserted). The Helios went on a short bracket, both to replicate the angle of the sunlight and to avoid harsh shadows.

The other day, I needed to kill a couple of hours and went to the local park with the absolute minimum of kit. Almost as soon as shut the car door, the clouds rolled over, ending the prospect of bright sunshine. The KS-2 flash is too harsh, in my view, and needs a longer working distance than I was able to give it. So, open up the aperture and trust the sensor...

Looking at the results on the monitor, I could see that the picture I wanted was still in the field. I had missed some, the D-FA 100 had hunted a bit more than usual, all the excuses.

Purely out of curiosity, I decided to see if I could stack some of the images in Photoshop. I wasn't expecting much, because I didn't have the fixed POV that a macro rail would have given. I tell you what, whoever is writing their registration algorithm needs a rise, because the results are impressive.

I am sure that someone in the forum has much more experience of stacking field shots that I do. Can anyone offer a 101?

Attached Images

Last edited by Shedking; 06-16-2019 at 12:48 AM.
05-20-2019, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #3362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What IS it ? !!!!
Glass Ornament by Window Light -- SP-F + 50mm f4 SMc MacroTakumar outdated 07/2004 BOOTS 400 film scanned
05-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #3363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I have always had a strong preference for using natural light in macro photography. On film, I could only do this on the sunniest of days, so I often had to compromise my wishes and add a half-power flash (an old Helios with a warm filter inserted). The Helios went on on a short bracket, both to replicate the angle of the sunlight and to avoid harsh shadows.

The other day, I needed to kill a couple of hours and went to the local park with the absolute minimum of kit. Almost as soon as shut the car door, the clouds rolled over, ending the prospect of bright sunshine. The KS-2 flash is too harsh, in my view, and needs a longer working distance than I was able to give it. So, open up the aperture and trust the sensor...

Looking at the results on the monitor, I could see that the picture I wanted was still in the field. I had missed some, the D-FA 100 had hunted a bit more than usual, all the excuses.

Purely out of curiosity, I decided to see if I could stack some of the images in Photoshop. I wasn't expecting much, because I didn't have the fixed POV that a macro rail would have given. I tell you what, whoever is writing their registration algorithm needs a rise, because the results are impressive.

I am sure that someone in the forum has much more experience of stacking field shots that I do. Can anyone offer a 101?

That is about as good a focus stack as you can get at that repro-ratio. There doesn't appear to be any ghosting around slender hairs and the like, either that or the well-bohked background covers it. In any case, a 100% satisfactory macro.
05-21-2019, 05:56 AM - 5 Likes   #3364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That is about as good a focus stack as you can get at that repro-ratio. There doesn't appear to be any ghosting around slender hairs and the like, either that or the well-bohked background covers it. In any case, a 100% satisfactory macro.
Thanks! I think the burrs on the vegetation have locked the registration algorithm in, as the leafhopper itself is not quite as well defined for colour transitions.

Here's an shot of a resting damselfly under even cloudier conditions later the same day. Whilst the reproduction ratio is lower, the slant angle of the body was awkward as I didn't want my shadow (such as there was) to fall across the insect. The five individual frames were at f/7.1

Attached Images

05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #3365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
Thanks! I think the burrs on the vegetation have locked the registration algorithm in, as the leafhopper itself is not quite as well defined for colour transitions.

Here's an shot of a resting damselfly under even cloudier conditions later the same day. Whilst the reproduction ratio is lower, the slant angle of the body was awkward as I didn't want my shadow (such as there was) to fall across the insect. The five individual frames were at f/7.1

Another nice image. I was looking at a test of the 20mm f2 super macro made by Mitakon. The reviewer posted a stack of the grinding surface of a human molar, made from 700 image files.
05-24-2019, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #3366
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
. . . How's that old tagline go? "smc PENTAX-FA MACRO 100mm F3.5. It's not just for macro anymore."
as pointed out by those nice images, please don't limit the use of these fine macro lenses:

K 3 II + SMC PENTAX-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

the physical structure of the Sumatran Tiger enclosure at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center and its orientation often causes problems with reflections in the windows and with photographs taken through it.

[ I suggest those taking photos with their phones to try to put their phones as close as possible to the glass to combat that, any one got any other suggestions ? ]

however those factors along with the items placed into the enclosure - logs, water and plants, can make some nice images:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-24-2019, 10:34 AM - 6 Likes   #3367
Pentaxian

Sigma 50/2.8 Macro on K-50

06-06-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #3368
Pentaxian

Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro

06-07-2019, 10:55 AM - 4 Likes   #3369
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lilac. Oly 60mm f2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 
06-12-2019, 03:22 PM - 3 Likes   #3370

First Attempt at Macro with A*200

Everyone's photos here are so out-of-this world!

I recently acquired the A*200mm f4 Macro and thought I’d try it out. Added an old Vivitar 283 flash to increase my DOF, but macro is hard!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #3371
Pentaxian

Looks like you're off to a great start!
06-13-2019, 06:59 AM - 7 Likes   #3372
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DFA 100mm WR + Raynox 250DCR + AF360FGZ II with MagMod Mag Sphere

And cropped a bit. The spider was sheltering under a leaf in the rain near my front porch. It’s total length, legs and all, is about an inch. I’m trying to improve my techniques and know very little about focus stacking so far.

Cross Posted photo.
06-13-2019, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3373
Pentaxian

K-1 and DFA 100 macro 2.8
Just in time, I went out to the Pink Lady Slipper patch I can actually find. Something actually ate some of ours.

06-13-2019, 11:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3374
Pentaxian

I was out today retaking the shots I missed yesterday. Despite my love of shooting on the fly, sometimes you need a tripod with manual focus, Live View and the two second timer. Sometimes the short cuts just don't work.

K-1 and DFA 100 macro

06-16-2019, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #3375
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Nature's Own Orrery

Amazement everywhere... when you take time to see.

“Femme Fatale”(Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro) Wide open