Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5966 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3946
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K 3 II + SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( not WR )

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
08-05-2020, 03:42 AM   #3947
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I just got back from a backpacking trip in the Smokies, so I haven't had time to try any measurements. Thanks for the instructions. I'll try it out ASAP!! I can't recall how big the beetle was, but I will look it up to get an idea.
I don't care if it is 1:1, better than 1:1 or anything else

I just thank you for sharing the photo

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-05-2020 at 03:48 AM.
08-07-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #3948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I don't care if it is 1:1, better than 1:1 or anything else

I just thank you for sharing the photo
Thank you!! I enjoy looking at everyone's photos and learning from them!! Thanks everyone at PF!! You all help keep me challenged and inspired!
08-08-2020, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #3949
Pentaxian

Here are a few shots I took with the 55-300 and 500D close-up filter. These are with the KS-2. I'm learning that deep DOF really is tough even at f22!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
08-08-2020, 10:26 AM   #3950
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a few shots I took with the 55-300 and 500D close-up filter. These are with the KS-2. I'm learning that deep DOF really is tough even at f22!!
Lovely shot of Kalmia, one of my favorite wildflowers, and a handsome portrait of the tiger beetle.
08-09-2020, 01:10 AM   #3951
Loyal Site Supporter

There's always focus stacking. But you need specific exposure technique and proper post-processing software, and it's still not easy (fdor me at least!).

If you use SilkyPix, the latest Pro version has it. Many other alternatives exist and it can even be done by hand even in freeware GIMP by generating focus masks, but it's a goodly amount of work. Can't say I've really learned to do it easily or well yet, but there are great examples out there.

Here is one basic tutorial using photoshop. https://digital-photography-school.com/a-beginners-guide-to-focus-stacking/

Last edited by jgnfld; 08-09-2020 at 01:20 AM.
08-09-2020, 02:27 AM   #3952
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every Setback is an Opportunity

I haven't posted a larger than live size macro on here, so time to put that right. Pin mould (Cladosporium / Mucor spp. co-colony?) at about 3:1. KP and DA35 Macro at closest focus, cropped. BW conversion in Photoshop.

Sample provided by my daughter spilling apple juice on her bedroom carpet, then flying off to Switzerland without clearing it up. The more likes this gets, the less I am likely to ground her

Attached Images

08-09-2020, 04:16 AM   #3953
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I lived through the 35mm SLR era, start to finish, I was taught to "fill the frame" with the subject, because with chromes cropping was not a realistic option (obviously different for B&W if you did your on printing). I can't get out of that habit, BUT, with digital it's a snap to crop a color image. So, if your lenses are good enough, when taking close ups DO NOT try to fill the frame. Back off some then crop in PP. The gain if DOF in many cases will more than compensate for any loss in IQ, creating an impression of greater detail even if by pixel peeking you could see that the image wasn't quite as sharp. And the inevitable caveat = there are always exceptions, always cases where the technique does not yield a more satisfactory image.
08-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #3954
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
There's always focus stacking. But you need specific exposure technique and proper post-processing software, and it's still not easy (fdor me at least!).

If you use SilkyPix, the latest Pro version has it. Many other alternatives exist and it can even be done by hand even in freeware GIMP by generating focus masks, but it's a goodly amount of work. Can't say I've really learned to do it easily or well yet, but there are great examples out there.

Here is one basic tutorial using photoshop. A Beginner's Guide to Focus Stacking
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As I lived through the 35mm SLR era, start to finish, I was taught to "fill the frame" with the subject, because with chromes cropping was not a realistic option (obviously different for B&W if you did your on printing). I can't get out of that habit, BUT, with digital it's a snap to crop a color image. So, if your lenses are good enough, when taking close ups DO NOT try to fill the frame. Back off some then crop in PP. The gain if DOF in many cases will more than compensate for any loss in IQ, creating an impression of greater detail even if by pixel peeking you could see that the image wasn't quite as sharp. And the inevitable caveat = there are always exceptions, always cases where the technique does not yield a more satisfactory image.
One of the best things I like abut photography is that it is easy to learn the basics, but hard to master. There is always something new to learn, therefore keeping it fresh and challenging! Thanks for the advice!
08-09-2020, 10:44 AM   #3955
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at some of your EXIF data, you could exploit the high ISO capabilities of the KS-2 quite a bit more and keep the aperture/focal length settings closer to their optimum. I would gladly use ISO 1600 on my K-S2 if necessary to get a shutter speed higher than the focal length.

The IQ of the 55-300 starts to degrade above 210mm or thereabouts (look for the point where the max aperture changes) and diffraction sets in at about f/13.

I would suggest that you explore TAv mode in daylight, starting at 150mm and f/10 with an ISO range of 100-1600. A small toy figure is a good subject (gotta love Lego) as you can crop to a standard head-and-shoulders or full body shot. See how DOF varies at various shooting distances and crop combinations.

Giving yourself a decent working distance will vastly increase your subject options.
08-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #3956
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info!! I usually shoot in Av and occasionally in M, but have not figured out how to exploit TAv yet. Your suggestion will give me some guidance on that setting. Coincidentally, I recently got a KP, which should have even better high ISO performance. My 14 yr old son "liberated" my KS-2 and is now putting me to shame with his bird photos!! Good for him!!
08-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #3957
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info!! I usually shoot in Av and occasionally in M, but have not figured out how to exploit TAv yet. ...!
Have you tried P mode? A little weird at first but a really intelligent way of doing things once you learn to use it even a little bit.
08-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #3958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
You spider guys are brave. I can't get near them, I have an extreme phobia of arachnids.i wish I didn't but i do.
For what it's worth, I have a touch of arachnophobia. Spiders give me the creeps. No problem with any insect, no problem with snakes or crabs or snails or slugs. My daughter freaks out when she sees a snake. My daughter-in-law has extreme phobia for cats*. She cannot look at a cartoon cat. She cannot abide hearing the a word such as "cat" or "kitten" or "lion," "jaguar," "cheetah," "tiger," etc. etc... She's a very smart lady, but there is talking to her about why. But then, there's no logic to phobias, and consequently it isn't possible to reason them away.

So how do I deal with arachnophobia and photographing spiders? C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. So long as one doesn't get onto me, I can manage.

* The term for fear of cats is ailurophobia. I had to look it up.
08-10-2020, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #3959
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Banded Demoiselles, Nene Wetlands Nature Reserve

Bankside shooting always prompts basophobia and cnidophobia in equal measure....
Attached Images

08-11-2020, 04:12 AM   #3960
Unregistered User

"New Sun" (Attempting to replace the battery resulted in the destruction of the hinged plastic retainer - technical term, "clippy thing". Subsequently soldered a 3xAAA battery holder to the contacts. I also busted the "clippy thing" pictured in blue below the battery which holds the video card in place. That's probably a "don't care" situation. Maybe that thing's purple, I wouldn't know - color blind.)

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-22-2020 at 08:39 AM.