Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #4021
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clematis seed pods

Clematis seed pods from our garden.

KIT: K-1 with Pentax 67 100mm f 4.0 macro.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-24-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #4022
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fooling around with the K 1 II + Smc Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( no WR )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
09-27-2020, 09:09 AM - 11 Likes   #4023
Pentaxian

The latest mushroom photos, DFA 100 macro, with Pixel Shift (and Tripod) Focused with Live view in manual mode. (I love that tilt screen.)

Hand held, without pixel shift. (no tripod)(DA* 55 1.4)

Last edited by normhead; 09-28-2020 at 10:31 AM.
09-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #4024
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatizit????

We have one or two of these strange creatures in the houses around here. I have no idea what it is. Size is ~1 cm wing span. Sorry for the OOF image: best I could do with the FA 100/2.8 macro hand held. They don't hang around for long, and as soon as I pressed the shutter release it hid in a crevice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-08-2020, 09:31 PM - 5 Likes   #4025
Pentaxian

I have borrowed a SMC DA 35mm f2.8 Limited Macro. It's my first time shooting with a Limited, and I like it a lot. Nice normal-ish angle of view when shooting non-macro subjects. All my other macro lenses are longer, so having the wider field of view of the 35 gives it a flexibility that my other macro lenses don't have.

Many reviews note the short working distance. That's just the way it goes with a shorter FL macro. I don't mind getting close to my macro subjects, and some of my lens set-ups necessitate my getting just as close (if not closer) as the 35 Limited calls for anyhow, so it's not that different for me. Lighting is a bit tricky, as my current potato chip tin extender/diffusers are usually used with longer lens combinations. With the 35, my shortest one would jam up against the subject's surroundings if I wasn't careful. A shorter length of tin (or suitably modified paper coffee cup) would work better.

On with the photos (some of which have been posted on other threads).

Architectural & infrastructure studies:

Landscape:

Critters:

Macro:

I'm hoping at some point I can get one to add to my team. It would be a great and welcome addition.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 10-08-2020 at 09:39 PM.
10-09-2020, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #4026
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

[ back story - went to take Saxon, the German Shepard puppy - into the back yard to " do business " and saw something on the railing, no camera so SOL, I thought. But it stayed around long enough for Saxon to do " dirt " and for me to return to the house, put her in the crate and to grab the K 1 II and the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro [ non WR ] to see what I could grab as it moved along the deck's railing ]

pp only

cr pp

more cr and pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-09-2020 at 10:22 AM.
10-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #4027
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
[ back story - went to take Saxon, the German Shepard puppy - into the back yard to " do business " and saw something on the railing, no camera so SOL, I thought. But it stayed around long enough for Saxon to do " dirt " and for me to return to the house, put her in the crate and to grab the K 1 II and the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro [ non WR ] to see what I could grab as it moved along the deck's railing ]

pp only

cr pp

more cr and pp
Very nice group.

10-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #4028
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thank you

it is actually my first sighting of a praying mantis in the wild and since it didn't like me, the camera nor the lens, it never stopped moving

hopefully if I find one again, i will get better photos
10-09-2020, 12:20 PM - 5 Likes   #4029
Pentaxian

Mummies:

35 Limited Macro

Last edited by Thagomizer; 10-09-2020 at 06:53 PM.
10-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #4030
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We have one or two of these strange creatures in the houses around here. I have no idea what it is. Size is ~1 cm wing span. Sorry for the OOF image: best I could do with the FA 100/2.8 macro hand held. They don't hang around for long, and as soon as I pressed the shutter release it hid in a crevice.
As you say, hard to tell accurately from the image, but I'd check your clothes and food storage.

As soon as you mention "moth in house", my thoughts turn to one of the Tineidae : Tineidae of BC - BCLG Some are larger than the typical clothes moth

If it has white "shoulders", then White-shouldered house moth is a possibility.
10-21-2020, 05:42 PM - 3 Likes   #4031
Pentaxian

k-50....sears 135 macro....2 2x TCs with glass removed.....af360fgz

10-23-2020, 06:15 PM - 7 Likes   #4032
Pentaxian

sears 135/f2.8 macro.....2 2x TCs with glass removed.....K-50....af360fgz

10-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #4033
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Some facts about automobile tires.

1) about 290 million per year are discarded in the USA.
2) about 80% of those are recycled in some way, leaving about 60 million to biodegrade in the USA
3) it takes about 50 to 80 years for a tire to biodegrade BUT, that only means you don't see the tire. Most of it still exists as micro particles.

4) tires account for the majority (over half) of plastic micro particles found in seawater off San Francisco (modern tires are not really "rubber").
5) world wide an estimated 1,500,000,000 tires are discarded annually

As with all interactions with Nature or the environment, it isn't what each one of us does, it's how many of us are doing it. There is only one problem = too many people. Just about all other "problems" are symptoms or consequences. And if you treat the symptoms rather than the cause, you will never solve the problem.
Think of all the billions of miles those tires traveled, as the tread rubbed and scrubbed along the highways and byways, eroding that tread into powder, and the roadway beneath them too. Hundreds of millions of tons of that stuff ground up and scattered by the wind.

Then consider all the metals and organic compounds ground to dust as all the vehicles those tires are on consume brakes.

Humans are so messy.
10-25-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #4034
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Think of all the billions of miles those tires traveled, as the tread rubbed and scrubbed along the highways and byways, eroding that tread into powder, and the roadway beneath them too. Hundreds of millions of tons of that stuff ground up and scattered by the wind.

Then consider all the metals and organic compounds ground to dust as all the vehicles those tires are on consume brakes.

Humans are so messy.
Way, way back I saw an analysis of the particulate matter in the air of NYC subway stations - generated from wheels, rails, the electric motors, brakes, and filtering down from the wheels, brakes, motors etc. etc of the cars, buses and trucks on streets above. Be safe - do not breathe.
10-25-2020, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #4035
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Be safe - do not breathe.
Another fun fact.

The modern diesel engines in heavy trucks (like I drove for 5 years) produce cleaner air than they ingest to mix with fuel for the work they perform.

That's right.

The air coming out of a diesel engine in an over the road truck is cleaner than the air going into it.

The diesel particulate filter (DPF), urea injection and secondary catalytic reduction (SCR) (all exhaust aftertreatment devices), and water cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) clean up more than 90% of the emissions from combustion of the fuel/air mixture.

So follow a big truck around and breathe easy.

Oh, and back on topic, a macro by crop closeup of the factory mismatch of two panels on one of my Z cars. The assembly line mechanic managed to get a pucker when spot welding the rear valance and right rear quarter panels together, and simply filled the gap with seam sealer and it was primed and painted.

It has held up well for 48 years.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-25-2020 at 11:49 AM.