Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
FA 50mm f2.8 Macro lens @ f5.6
Gorgeous bokeh!!

04-30-2021, 05:41 AM - 3 Likes   #4202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oly 60mm macro on Pany G9, multi-image stack.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
04-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #4203

Looking for recommendation for an affordable macro lens that can do 1:1 or better

I have always been interested in macro photography, but have no experience with it. A recent purchase of Pentax K-50 camera and the two kit lenses has whetted my appetite for more. Unfortunately, I am not able to go out and buy the best in new macro lenses. I would like advice on which makes and models of macro lenses that perform well, but sell on the used market for $250 or less. My understanding is macro photography must be done using a tripod for clarity, so the weight of the lens won't be too much of a factor. The Pentax K-mount lens pool is extensive; what are the hidden macro gems to look for? I am open to all brands that fit a K-mount...
05-01-2021, 01:52 AM   #4204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Macro suggestions

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
I have always been interested in macro photography, but have no experience with it. A recent purchase of Pentax K-50 camera and the two kit lenses has whetted my appetite for more. Unfortunately, I am not able to go out and buy the best in new macro lenses. I would like advice on which makes and models of macro lenses that perform well, but sell on the used market for $250 or less. My understanding is macro photography must be done using a tripod for clarity, so the weight of the lens won't be too much of a factor. The Pentax K-mount lens pool is extensive; what are the hidden macro gems to look for? I am open to all brands that fit a K-mount...
Here are two of the best macros available for Pentax cameras, both non-AF.

1. Kiron 105mm f 2.8 macro. There is no better macro in K-mount than this one, and lack of AF for macro is not really a disadvantage. This lens is available in several different brands.

2. Pentax-A 645 120mm f 4.0 macro, requires P645-K adapter. There is no better Pentax macro lens in any format than this one, although a genuine Pentax brand adapter will set you back another $100 but maybe also encourage trying some of the other great P645 lenses on your K-mount cameras. However, your expressed $250 budget should cover both lens and adapter.

05-01-2021, 02:40 AM   #4205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That sort of budget will buy many good lenses but about half will get you an SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 50mm macro or an SMC Pentax-M 1:4 100mm macro. They are both superb. Go more vintage and get an M42 mount MacroTakumar. If you want AF then the classic Tamron 90 isn't called a classic for no reason.
You only need big money for fancy new glass. Go vintage and the quality soars as the price drops.
05-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #4206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is macro photography must be done using a tripod for clarity
That's one way to do it. Another is to use flash; because of the small subject size in macrophotography, you can get beautiful diffused light just using the pop-up flash with a diffuser (which can be homemade). And another is to shoot in bright light and take lots of shots.
05-01-2021, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #4207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some good advice has already been given, but here are other tips

1) the least expensive way to get into macro and deep macro are the Raynox DCR 150 and DCR 250 clip-on achromatic close up filters. The 150 brings any lens to focus @ 8 inches, the 250 to four inches. The exact magnification depends on the focal length of the lens. These units give amazing quality, but it depends on the quality of the lens to which they are attached. They can provide excellent IQ with a good zoom lens. There is a thread on PF devoted to these adapters. Search it out and see what these little gems can do.

2) the 90mm Tamron macro, already recommended by others, has been an excellent macro lens since its introduction. Most macro is done with manual focusing, so even going back to the Adptall II version you will get a fine lens.

3) All versions of Pentax 50mm macros are excellent. I had their very first macro, a 50mm f4.0 preset, and it is still used by Pentaxians who post on this thread. The 50mm f2.8 SMCA is beautiful mechanically and excellent optically, but many criticize it for only going to 1/2 life size.

4) When you get closer than 1/2 life size in macro you're entering a different realm. Tripod or other sturdy support is important unless you're using a strobe, and a focusing rail is almost a requirement. When you go to greater that life size, a focusing rail of some kind is indispensable, and depth of field is a really big problem. In this realm, reverse-mounting a short FL lens, or coupling two lenses is more practical and usually provides better IQ than simply extending a lens with tubes or bellows.

05-02-2021, 12:40 AM   #4208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lensnut Quote
That sort of budget will buy many good lenses but about half will get you an SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 50mm macro or an SMC Pentax-M 1:4 100mm macro. They are both superb. Go more vintage and get an M42 mount MacroTakumar. If you want AF then the classic Tamron 90 isn't called a classic for no reason.
You only need big money for fancy new glass. Go vintage and the quality soars as the price drops.
I thought that the M100/4 Macro only does 1:2, but it is indeed quite good. I'm on the lookout for a Tamron 90 because of Aaron's pictures.
05-02-2021, 01:31 AM   #4209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was referring to the aperture by 1:4 (read f4). Indeed the Pentax 100mm macros are but 1:2 but what quality! If you go for a Tamron make sure it is for digital cameras (Di in the title) because the film era ones can produce an annoying purple circle caused by internal reflection off the rear element. They fixed it for digital.
05-02-2021, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #4210
Pentaxian

50mm Macro comparison between Minolta AF 50/2.8 (MIN) and Macro-Takumar 50mm 4 (TAK). Both shot at f4, manual focus, same camera and time, same post.

(MIN)

(TAK)

(MIN)

(TAK)

05-02-2021, 04:33 PM - 4 Likes   #4211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pany GX8 + Sigma 150mm f2.8 via Metabones 0.71X Ultra adapter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
05-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #4212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That is just scary close and full of detail. I'm not sure what happened to the green leaf the fly is sitting on; it looks sort of pixelated.
05-02-2021, 10:57 PM   #4213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Wow! Sharp! Didn't expect the Metabones adapter to perform at this level. Stunning capture.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
05-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #4214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
That is just scary close and full of detail. I'm not sure what happened to the green leaf the fly is sitting on; it looks sort of pixelated.
Are you looking on a small screen? The leaf edges are serrated.
05-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #4215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
50mm Macro comparison between Minolta AF 50/2.8 (MIN) and Macro-Takumar 50mm 4 (TAK). Both shot at f4, manual focus, same camera and time, same post.

(MIN)

(TAK)

(MIN)

(TAK)
Thank you edom31 for posting this comparison. It’s very interesting how modern macro lenses resolve details while older lenses do a perfect reproduction (without pixel peeping). Probably the Macro-Takumar shows the details better at f5.6 or f8. For me, the comparison between lenses to make a ranking or a decision should be made with the manufacturer‘s recommended f-stop and for shure, it always will be a comparison between apples and pears in that way