Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #151
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone tell me where can I get Voigtländer 125mm macro lens? I really want this lens.

03-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Abbas,

Thanks for sharing those images. They are spectacular, and on top you shot them wideopen with the narrow dof would indeed be a challenge.

If I get hold of the lens, I am planning to get the pentax 100mm ext. tube as well.
03-30-2008, 07:12 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Can anyone tell me where can I get Voigtländer 125mm macro lens? I really want this lens.
I can't find any in the pentax mount, but one did come up on e-bay last week, but I am not prepared to spend 800-1200 that these lenses fetch. Frankly I don't see the value of this lens...it's stunner, no question, but not for that price. Then again I've never shot any macro's. For $400 I hope I get the 180mm F4 from B&H. I'll try my hands on macros with that and extension tubes.
03-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #154

I guess it's time to add another post to this thread. Like others have said (and perhaps I've even already said this), the CV 125 is a lens that completely lives up to its reputation and MTF chart. And as a bonus, it's really easy to nail focus with this lens when it's used as a medium telephoto. It's such a versatile, if heavy, lens. This was from before I got the Katz Eye:

CV 125 SL, K10D, ISO 320, f/2.4, 1/320

Sorry about the bad tangents, but I still like it.

03-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #155
Veteran Member

My 125..........

......so OK, since this thread led my to but the 125 from SloPhoto I though I should at least put
one pic up. This is actually the first shot (other than function-checking) I have taken. The lens is on my K100, and the pic is cropped only - pear blossoms. As to the lens:
Attached Images

04-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #156
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thought that for the benefit of those who may question the logic of buying the 125mm Lanthar, what is now a 1000USD lens that has one focal range and no AF, I'd offer continued reason to seek out this lens while you can still buy it at all.

Handheld - ISO100, 1/180, f4.5

And a 100% crop of the weed for reference to the resolution capabilities of the lens/body combo:

Working distance was several feet, had to back-up to get that much in with the mild telephoto perspective. Surely, had I bothered to bring a tripod for any of the shooting I do, one could expect a higher degree of crisp detail, but for the convenience of handheld - this lens + SR = I'm a happy guy.
04-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #157
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I meant to ask, Twinda1 do you find the katzeye makes a big difference in focusing at all? I've just been going by eye and its been ok so far. Love the grass in that shot too btw, looks like a big, soft carpet.

04-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Well I have a Katz Eye, so I guess I can answer your question. Katz Eye is good mostly for distance shot, that's not quite "infinity" yet. With these shots, it's quite hard to tell if the subject is really in focus or just a tad OOF. For close focus, personally, the subject just pops right in for me, and sometimes the Katz Eye might obstruct the view a little. In addition, you can only use it a close to center point (either within split screen or microprism), but if you place the subject at the corner, you will have to eye ball it anyway. The trick to focus at center and move it away rarely works for me since I can hardly keep it on the same focus plane after the move.

And nice shot Kelly. It really shows what the Voigtlander is capable of, no double image bokeh even with those branches and twigs in the background.
04-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #159
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip. I'd probably just stick with my bare eyes then, heh. I have a habit of zooming in on the backscreen and critically analyzing my accuracy in that regard anyhow. Its proven effective, if occasionally tedious, but it sounds like there is inconvience either way. Truth be told, I would have jumped on the idea a few months ago before I figured out what the diopter adjustment was for, I was constantly retaking shots. It was a Eureka moment figuring that out, but now that its set right for me, I hit more than I miss at all ranges with the first shot now anyways.
04-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #160

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Well I have a Katz Eye, so I guess I can answer your question. Katz Eye is good mostly for distance shot, that's not quite "infinity" yet. With these shots, it's quite hard to tell if the subject is really in focus or just a tad OOF. For close focus, personally, the subject just pops right in for me, and sometimes the Katz Eye might obstruct the view a little. In addition, you can only use it a close to center point (either within split screen or microprism), but if you place the subject at the corner, you will have to eye ball it anyway. The trick to focus at center and move it away rarely works for me since I can hardly keep it on the same focus plane after the move.
So can you still stop down to f/22 without the screen going dark on the VL?
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Personally I've never seen the need for a Katz Eye. However I would recommend the Pentax O-M53 magnifying eyepiece. It does make a noticeable difference when focusing manually.

K10D with the VL 125 using a O-M53 to focus.
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
So can you still stop down to f/22 without the screen going dark on the VL?
Uhm, the VL has A setting, so even if you stop down to f/22, it's still at f/2.5 when you focus. I have to agree with creampuff, the magnifying cup is more beneficial. I think i'll get myself one too.
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #163

Katz-Eye plus O-ME53 magnifier equals one killer combination. I have found that I can even focus my Tokina 17mm F3.5 - which I was unable to do with my MX and LX!

Oh, I do love my 180 F4 APO Voitlander. Unfortunately they and the 125 are out of production.

Bob
Loyal Pentax ("Funtax") user since 1968
04-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #164
Veteran Member

Voigtlander SL Lenses

$1000? what a pain? seriously I dont get it, maybe i need to see it for myself, someone in the San Jose area, please enlighten me...
04-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #165
m8o
Veteran Member

more power to him if he gets the price. I'm kicking myself for not buying an extra for re-sale as new on the 2ndary market...