Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #166
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
Voigtlander SL Lenses

$1000? what a pain? seriously I dont get it, maybe i need to see it for myself, someone in the San Jose area, please enlighten me...
Well, if the pictures throughout this thread don't tell the story, noone will be able to explain it in such a way as to make it any more logical I think. As far as $1000 goes, the 125 started life closer to half that, but now there are no more being made, its just supply/demand. OTOH, the Zeiss 100/2 is still a full third more again, built at the same place as the Voigtlander and there are no shortages on those. THey are specialty items - they top the charts in their respective catagories on resolution along with most or all other measureable performance standards, are all-metal built and manually focus as well as lenses can be made to do so. If you're into that, price is not the object with these, getting them is. Look at the Pentax A*200 macro - 2K. Same story.

04-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #167

isn't the zeiss 1:2 vs 1:1 on the VL?
04-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #168
Veteran Member

And it's also a stop faster .

For me, the VL has no CA or PF (at least for normal condition). The resolution, I tested before against the Viv. S1 105 and Tokina 90, is better than most competitors at this focal range, for wide open. Microcontrast is in good level. Its exceptional build is also a plus. And I like its color rendering as well. Like all good lenses, it does come with a price (much higher now since the supply shortage). If you can settle with 90% performance, then you don't need to get it. But if you demand that last 10%, there is premium to pay.
04-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #169
Veteran Member

is there any information we can find The Voigtländer 125/2.5 in Singapore? i mean the location of the store?

04-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Well, if the pictures throughout this thread don't tell the story, noone will be able to explain it in such a way as to make it any more logical I think. As far as $1000 goes, the 125 started life closer to half that, but now there are no more being made, its just supply/demand. OTOH, the Zeiss 100/2 is still a full third more again, built at the same place as the Voigtlander and there are no shortages on those. THey are specialty items - they top the charts in their respective catagories on resolution along with most or all other measureable performance standards, are all-metal built and manually focus as well as lenses can be made to do so. If you're into that, price is not the object with these, getting them is. Look at the Pentax A*200 macro - 2K. Same story.

I like the IQ, and i have my share of manual lenses, but i dont think id have much use for it, I would still love to see one in person.
04-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
is there any information we can find The Voigtländer 125/2.5 in Singapore? i mean the location of the store?
There are no more for sale. The local agent has sold his entire inventory of it.
04-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There are no more for sale. The local agent has sold his entire inventory of it.

Well, I finally managed to get a second hand one from China (on the way to me now ). Costed even more than I could've got for a brand new one a year ago, but I guess that's the price we need to pay for LBA

04-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Congrat Frank. You will love it. Since you're already used to with all the big FA* glasses, this lens will be like feather to you .
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Congrat Frank. You will love it. Since you're already used to with all the big FA* glasses, this lens will be like feather to you .
Thanks Hiep I tested the lens before, great performer. But I wasn't ready to put such a big amount of cash for a third party lens yet (yes, I'm a Pentax fanboy ). Now I had to pay more for a used one
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #175
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks Hiep I tested the lens before, great performer. But I wasn't ready to put such a big amount of cash for a third party lens yet (yes, I'm a Pentax fanboy ). Now I had to pay more for a used one
I think the Lanthars were a steal when they came out, and sell for what they are worth these days - looking forward to your VL pics here!

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 04-23-2008 at 06:55 AM.
04-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #176
Veteran Member

@krimpuff

thanks for the link.

anyway, is there any particular website or article so i can read, (i still cannot figure out), which lenses, can be mount to my k10d, and which lenses cannot. what kind of particular adapter we should use and what kind of mounting voightlander has.

im kinda lost newbie here.

04-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I have to agree, it should complement your current arsenal of lenses perfectly (now very similar to mine ;-)
04-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #178
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@krimpuff

thanks for the link.

anyway, is there any particular website or article so i can read, (i still cannot figure out), which lenses, can be mount to my k10d, and which lenses cannot. what kind of particular adapter we should use and what kind of mounting voightlander has.

im kinda lost newbie here.

The main thing you need to know is, Pentax (including K10) = 'K' mount. If you are shopping for lenses, it should tell you the mount they are designed for. K, KA, KA2, PK (3rd party way to say Pentax K) etc are different ways of putting it meaning various amounts of technology inside them, but K means it will fit the K10. When shopping for Voigtlanders (the new ones anyways) look for ones designed for this mount. On ebay for example serach for 'Voigtlander K' or Voigtlander Pentax'.
Big explanation here - Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Frank,
Congrats on your purchase. I wouldn't fret too much about a used one.
Looking forward to pics.
04-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I think the Lanthars were a steal when they came out, and sell for what they are worth these days - looking forward to your VL pics here!
Pity I didn't get one when they were steals

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I have to agree, it should complement your current arsenal of lenses perfectly (now very similar to mine ;-)
Actually you were the very first guy I asked about this lens (and its comparison w/ the A100/2.8 macro), pity I let that one go (when it's only around $500USD!). But it's never too late, isn't it

But I think the A50/2.8 macro will still be my favorite macro lens

QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
Frank,
Congrats on your purchase. I wouldn't fret too much about a used one.
Looking forward to pics.

Thanks I have to wait for a couple of weeks before I can have it (a friend of mine is bringing it over in two weeks).