Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 696 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 01:52 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Great picture, Kelly, I love it.

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
They made a limited edition 35mm f1.0 a while ago for rangefinders.
Actually, I think it's a 35mm F1.2, but it's a great lens anyway.

Cheers!

Abbazz

06-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #227
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, that is a nice raindrop shot. Too bad the 125mm and 180mm are next to impossible to get now. I went with the Tamron SP90 adaptall for now. The Sigma 180mm macro is making me twitch real bad though.
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kelly, have you used that Nokton 1.4 for any portraits yet? I'd love to see some of those incredible effects applied to faces, hands, etc...

That bokeh just knocks me out.

06-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #229
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Great picture, Kelly, I love it.

Actually, I think it's a 35mm F1.2, but it's a great lens anyway.

Cheers!

Abbazz
THanks m8! You are correct - for some reason I thought there was a super rare 1.0, but I only see the 1.2 now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Frank, that is a nice raindrop shot. Too bad the 125mm and 180mm are next to impossible to get now. I went with the Tamron SP90 adaptall for now. The Sigma 180mm macro is making me twitch real bad though.
There is (was?) a VL180 in the 'bay last night in PK.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Kelly, have you used that Nokton 1.4 for any portraits yet? I'd love to see some of those incredible effects applied to faces, hands, etc...

That bokeh just knocks me out.
I did a couple I think, in my flickr stream if you search for '58mm', more just snaps, but I'm not much of a portrait guy so far. I can try a new stab at it with the supa-bokeh, heh.

Knowing your style of shooting, I think you'de get a kick out of this lens, though you have a lot of capable glass in the range already.

06-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #230
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Someone is selling their Voigtlander 180mm in EBAY. There is another 58mm Nokton is also in sale in EBAY.

I just bought a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm from Adorama. I am going to shoot some photos this weekend and will put them here...
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and what of the VL 90?

Hi
For tose of you who have the VL 90, when do you use it? Do you use it as a portrait lens? I was thinking about the Nokton 58 bumping both my FA 50 and my 70 LTD. I'm not sure if I have room for a 58 and a 90....

Cheers
06-25-2008, 06:59 PM   #232
Veteran Member

I finally remembered what the bokeh in that shot reminds me of:

It's 1/10th of a second handheld, so it's not sharp, but the bokeh was outstanding.

Taken with.... the Voigtlander 180 f/4 Lanthar! (before I sold it.)

06-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #233
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iunknown Quote
Someone is selling their Voigtlander 180mm in EBAY. There is another 58mm Nokton is also in sale in EBAY.

I just bought a Voigtlander Nokton 58mm from Adorama. I am going to shoot some photos this weekend and will put them here...
yeah, I've been watching the 180. Its up to $271 with 3d remaining, reserve not met. Adorama still as a 58mm but I want the 180 or 125.

. . .

06-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #234
TKH
Veteran Member

Big Nokton meets little Bruno :

I know some are a little out of fokus, but we are still learning and loving the Nokton.

Best,
Rainer
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM   #235
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlfaust Quote
Hi
For tose of you who have the VL 90, when do you use it? Do you use it as a portrait lens? I was thinking about the Nokton 58 bumping both my FA 50 and my 70 LTD. I'm not sure if I have room for a 58 and a 90....

Cheers
Actually yes I did do a 'portrait' shoot once and used this lens (term used loosely). First 5 pics here - Weekend Warriors - May 10/08 - a set on Flickr

My general feelings on this lens are documented - Cosina-Voigtlander 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar - a set on Flickr

To paraphrase here - its equally the sharpest lens I've used at any focusing distance. Color reprodution, contrast and aberration are at the highest levels; bokeh is ethereal and pleasant, but there is not enough of it. If Cosina ever decided it would be a nice idea to make an f2 or so of this lens, I'd probably never take it off my camera. As it stands as an f3.5, it makes for a 'freebie' in the bag - its literally tiny. So if you might want some nice portraits but aren't sure if you'll get around to it - this lens will fit in your wifes purse and she won't even notice.

I finally remembered what the bokeh in that shot reminds me of:

It's 1/10th of a second handheld, so it's not sharp, but the bokeh was outstanding.

Lovely, fun bokeh! Lovely lens as well. Nice one J.

The effect this lens has had on me was that all my other longer teles got sold. None of them could match the VL180s sharpness, contrast or anything on any level (except that they were (much) 'longer'). So the VL180 is my only remaining telephoto, I use it exclusively in that role but the length is quite versatile. At f4, its mostly an outdoor lens, but like the 90, it is very pocket friendly as a result. If you don't mind manual focus, I don't think there are better lenses money can buy for recording things as you actually see them, than the Voigtlander Lanthars and (125 aside) they are still cheap.

VL180 on K10
06-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #236
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Lovely Nokton pics TKH - this one says it all for me:

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH:

06-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #237
TKH
Veteran Member

Thanks.
I only have to clean the fingernails in Photoshop...

Best,
Rainer
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #238
and
Veteran Member

lots of good shots on display here thanks to everyone who is sharing, I keep checking this thread. the nokton seems to be getting its own fan club, Havent seen a lot of shots from the 40 ultron tho? these lenses are so good, as are the zeiss ones but these are actually affordable which make them even more impressive I sure hope cosina does more of them.

I sold my 180 in the end, great lens, small, well built, sharp. but I had to downsize and sold off 7 lenses including everything I had over 125mm since I didnt really use it. I also found the focusing ring on the 180 to be way to stiff for me, just like I didnt like the ring of the pentax A 300 which I also sold. the 125 lanthar has a perfect feel for me.
06-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #239
and
Veteran Member

say thats a question Id like to ask the nokton/ultron owners, how are the focusing rings ? compared to the 125. mr pirate should know that, youve tried them all havent you
06-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #240
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
say thats a question Id like to ask the nokton/ultron owners, how are the focusing rings ? compared to the 125. mr pirate should know that, youve tried them all havent you
I have quite a few, though I haven't tried the Ultron (too close to the 31 and 58 for me) or the Heliar (can't find one, but I'll have an 85 soon). I can say that the 58 is my favourite 'feel' wise including the Lanthars and the Zeiss T*25. The reason - it is smooth damped, helicoid like the others, but just right tension wise plus it has a rubberized layer over the focus ring. Grippy.

The tension on the 125, 58 and T*25 are all similarly smooth, though the 125 has the seperate silver metal ring while the T*25 features ridges that are integral to the barrel itself (as it appears is the case for all the Zeiss Z line). I prefer this design over the Lanthars - less that could go awry someday, as per the Photozone review (forget which model, but said the metal ring had come loose).

The 180 is stiff, as you say, but it hasn't prevented me from making the shots I ask of it, and it still feels significantly better to me than manual focusing even a high quality native auto-focus lens with the screw drive vibration (like the 31 for example). Also like you, I find myself rarely using anything to long, but the 180s close focus can extend its usefulness greatly.

Oh... the 90 is in-between the 180 and 125 for stiffness, its nice to focus. All these lenses spoil though, there isn't a 'bad' one among them.