Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #256
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
When I first got the Nokton, one minor thing that bugged me was the inability to cap the lens with the hood attached. I like to keep the hood attached, but want to keep dust off of the front element when in the bag. I bought one of these to use as a lenscap over the hood and it works like a dream. FYI.
Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean, I like the Zeiss pinch caps solution too (though when using a polarizer and not the hood, the regular cap works). Too bad there wasn't a way to use hood, filter and cap! And nice bokeh there

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Here two shots taken today with this Voigtlander 125...
Sweet shots - Impressive to get the bug so steady, so close like that.

07-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #257
Veteran Member

This thread has been becoming a legendary one. Really cool to see so many voigtlander followers in deed.

Got a few recent casual shots wide open on Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 since I have not used any other lenses besides this favorite one of mine.

07-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #258
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Got a few recent casual shots wide open on Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 since I have not used any other lenses besides this favorite one of mine.
haha, a man after my own heart! Wonderful bokeh shots there. It is also my 'default' lens choice.

I brought this lens with me on a float down the Elbow river here in Calgary yesterday. Its a picture of my fiance relaxing in the raft as we float along - Except for the application of the crusty texture, the bokeh is all Nokon, wide open.

07-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #259
Veteran Member

That composition is really great, Kelly. The foreground bokeh effect is simply astounding. What a soft blurr (but a little gigantic hehe)

07-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Did Voigtlaender make a Nokton 58/1.4 SLII with bayonet hood? Supposedly that's what i'm getting, even screw in will be fine, if it is a bayonet hood, even better
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #261
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Did Voigtlaender make a Nokton 58/1.4 SLII with bayonet hood? Supposedly that's what i'm getting, even screw in will be fine, if it is a bayonet hood, even better
They are still making it, in fact its quite new and one of their two current lenses. so yes its bayonet
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
hExcept for the application of the crusty texture, the bokeh is all Nokon, wide open.
Great picture Kelly, thanks for sharing. Echoing James statement, I find the front bokeh even more astonishing than the background bokeh. Do you have any other pictures showing the front bokeh of this lens?

Cheers!

Abbazz

07-07-2008, 09:06 AM   #263
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
They are still making it, in fact its quite new and one of their two current lenses. so yes its bayonet
Its actually a screw mount on the SLIIs (the lens hoods we're talking about). I guess they wanted to sell you more hoods after the bayonet style original SLs. I preferred the bayonets myself. The Zeiss are bayonet too, fwiw.

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Great picture Kelly, thanks for sharing. Echoing James statement, I find the front bokeh even more astonishing than the background bokeh. Do you have any other pictures showing the front bokeh of this lens?

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thanks for your comments guys. Her elbow blended in with her knee in the foreground, made a strange amorphous shape, heh. I just dug around for any more front bokeh examples I had on my flickr, there are two that show it fairly well, one is a repost:

Note the front flower, kinda 'ghostly' -

And again, only more ghostly -

I'll experiment specifically with this and see what gives.
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #264
Veteran Member

I just noticed there is a VL 125 up now on ebay - asking $700 to start.........be interesting to see where it goes.............

I am not the seller - wouldn't part with mine......(8- )
07-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #265
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was very pleasantly surprised to come home from work to a wonderful dinner prepared by my fiance - thought I'd capture her effort for posterity, heh.

I blame James for this, I never really thought about using the Nokton on food before.

Nokton@ 1.4

notes: I've learned after an hour of post editing that kitchen lighting is woefully insufficient for photographic purposes...

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 07-14-2008 at 10:09 PM.
07-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #266
TKH
Veteran Member

I was very pleasantly surprised to come home from work to a wonderful dinner prepared by my fiance - thought I'd capture her effort for posterity, heh.
So lets see what we all know from your last posts and pics Kelly:

1. She let you play around with your photo stuff and take pics the whole day!
2. She is good looking!
3. She is a very good cook!

So why the hell she is only your fiance?!

Merry her, shes Miss Perfect!

Best,
Rainer
07-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #267
Veteran Member

I blame James for this, I never really thought about using the Nokton on food before.

Nokton@ 1.4

notes: I've learned after an hour of post editing that kitchen lighting is woefully insufficient for photographic purposes...

Kelly. Food photography is quite addictive and I really love it myself since my dad had been a professional chef himself.

The chromatic abberation with the reflected light is something I had been quite negative about regarding Nokton. But this only happens when you are photographying the food at the minimum focusing distance with 30 degree inclination from the food. If you lift your torso up to 45 degree or so, these annoying bokeh would go away.

The colour and the dish itself was so well presented and I loved the look very much. I had been keen to start a food forum for melbourne local myself so I had been visiting many restaurants in my spare time apart from my career advancement exam preparation.

Maybe we can even start a food thread on its own.

To be honest, Fa 31 ltd does the food shots quite nice as well, strong colour with great punch to the image. I think Nokton works better for seafood or light colour dishes.
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #268
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the vote of confidence THK! I can't let her see this thread now, don't need her ego getting too big now, hehe.

@ Roentarre - thanks for the tips! I just quickly picked up the cam before I dug in and I'm glad I did - its led to learning a lot about shooting in general, including your insightful comment.

When in a restaurant - how do you control lighting? Do you have an unobtrusive portable light, or just choose a table under a lamp or something? I think I may consider a pocket friendly, versatile lighting aid of some sort, but I have virtually no knowledge in this area.
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #269

How to get good restaurant food shots?

1) Ask for a window seat
2) Look for tables with overhead lighting

But #1 is your best bet.

-Gavin
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #270
Veteran Member

When in a restaurant - how do you control lighting? Do you have an unobtrusive portable light, or just choose a table under a lamp or something? I think I may consider a pocket friendly, versatile lighting aid of some sort, but I have virtually no knowledge in this area.
This depends on luck. I often bring along my own portable lighting (for video camera) and it proves to be handy to provide lighting behind the food. Then my off camera flash is used to lighting up the food a little. This practice will obviously annoy some posh looking restaurants and I could be quite harsh with my comments against them (I had been signing up various restaurant review sites and gave my fair share of comments).

Window seats are good ideas but often the shadow casting is a problem. It creates sentiment for protrait and providing texture to the image but shadows are hard to rid off... (not a good thing for food photo)

Tungstun lighting is a killer for food photo and this is where Nokton's low contrast rendering can help. At least, you are not getting dense heavy orange hue with pentax limited or macro lenses.