01-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #346

Photos: Gallery
i was thinking of getting the katz.
which one did you opt for?

01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #347
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the KatzEye w/ rule of thirds grids only, sans Optibrite. It wasn't the panacea I'd hoped for as it doesn't aid much in low low light as I'd thought it would, but I come to learn I was expecting too much. Here's my initial impression https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/43424-split-sc...tml#post462880.
01-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Vt 90/3.5 SL

To the many many ppl who find this their fave lens in their line up - same here!

Three shots below from the lens - heavily pp'ed to bring out the feel of the place.

Funnily enough, I never got the hang of the lens on a DSLR - the shots below are on B&W film, shot on a MZ - 3.

01-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #349
Veteran Member

noobs question.

few days ago.. i have met a friend of mine, using 40 ultron on his d60 body. i found that it was very easy to focus when i shot picture with it. it seem that i can nabbed very sharp picture in every shutter i pressed. i wonder wheter this because d60 body or indeed the ultron lens is a magnificent lens.

what i want to ask is, is it always easy to focus using this lens on a K10d or any Pentax camera.

is the metering indeed really working great on Pentax?

last, that 11 autofocus point.. can it worked too, if we put this lens on Pentax k10d body?

01-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
few days ago.. i have met a friend of mine, using 40 ultron on his d60 body. i found that it was very easy to focus when i shot picture with it. it seem that i can nabbed very sharp picture in every shutter i pressed. i wonder wheter this because d60 body or indeed the ultron lens is a magnificent lens.

what i want to ask is, is it always easy to focus using this lens on a K10d or any Pentax camera.

is the metering indeed really working great on Pentax?

last, that 11 autofocus point.. can it worked too, if we put this lens on Pentax k10d body?
I don't have the ultron 40, but so far the SL and SL II series lenses have been a joy to use - I notice that you have 2 Taks in your line up, so MF shouldn't be foreign to you. I don't think the focusing will be a problem

To my knowledge, the 11 autofocus points do not work on MF lenses - the focusing point is limited to the centre one. The 11 pt autofocus however will work on AF lens set to focus manually.
01-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
I don't have the ultron 40, but so far the SL and SL II series lenses have been a joy to use - I notice that you have 2 Taks in your line up, so MF shouldn't be foreign to you. I don't think the focusing will be a problem

To my knowledge, the 11 autofocus points do not work on MF lenses - the focusing point is limited to the centre one. The 11 pt autofocus however will work on AF lens set to focus manually.
what camera do u have ? is it easy to notice by view finder wheter the object already in focus or not..? or we have to pay attention to focus confirmation also.
01-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #352
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
what camera do u have ? is it easy to notice by view finder wheter the object already in focus or not..? or we have to pay attention to focus confirmation also.
Certainly the generous focus throws on these manuals combined with the damped precison feeling make things easier, but I still had a low hit ratio using the Nokton wide open with just the standard screen in both my K10 and 20. My conclusion is that sometimes when you think you're in focus in the finder, it doesn't always equate to being equal to the image upon inspection, even after careful diopter adjustment.

A Katzeye improved my focus accuracy under certain conditions, especially at the harder to hit large apertures.

K.

01-31-2009, 03:11 AM   #353
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Certainly the generous focus throws on these manuals combined with the damped precison feeling make things easier, but I still had a low hit ratio using the Nokton wide open with just the standard screen in both my K10 and 20. My conclusion is that sometimes when you think you're in focus in the finder, it doesn't always equate to being equal to the image upon inspection, even after careful diopter adjustment.

A Katzeye improved my focus accuracy under certain conditions, especially at the harder to hit large apertures.

K.
I'll second that statement. The Katz-Eye greatly improved my ability to take images in proper focus using manual focus lenses.
01-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #354
m8o
Veteran Member

Question to all those w/the KatzEye & the 125/2.5 ...

Indoors, under relatively medium bright indirect sunlight in the room, does [edit] either-half [I just realized "which", depends on eye position] of the focusing disc in the center show noticeable darkening? Not "blacked out" or anything that bad, but perhaps 50% darkened? I am seeing that and an wondering if this is normal or if there's something up with my screen's manufacturing.

thanx.

Last edited by m8o; 01-31-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I dind't realize eye position determines which side blacks-out
02-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #355
Veteran Member

VL Nokton 58 f/1.4

f/2 (crop)

f/10 shooting into the sun (flare test)

General bokeh in very low-light, all wide-open or f/1.8:

02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #356
m8o
Veteran Member

That's one seriously good performing lens j! Love the stained-glass butterflies shot.
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #357
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Question to all those w/the KatzEye & the 125/2.5 ...

Indoors, under relatively medium bright indirect sunlight in the room, does [edit] either-half [I just realized "which", depends on eye position] of the focusing disc in the center show noticeable darkening? Not "blacked out" or anything that bad, but perhaps 50% darkened? I am seeing that and an wondering if this is normal or if there's something up with my screen's manufacturing.

thanx.
I'm seriously bum'ed about no replies... make'n me paranoid I'm on everyone's 'twist list'. :ugh:

odder still the darkening of 1/2 the center w/the 125/2.5 attached is darker than when I put my 12-24/4 lens on. It strikes me as strange that I'm getting more darkening with the f/2.5 lens than with a f/4 lens attached.

What do you folks w/the 125 & KatzEye see? (please )
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #358
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm seriously bum'ed about no replies... make'n me paranoid I'm on everyone's 'twist list'. :ugh:

odder still the darkening of 1/2 the center w/the 125/2.5 attached is darker than when I put my 12-24/4 lens on. It strikes me as strange that I'm getting more darkening with the f/2.5 lens than with a f/4 lens attached.

What do you folks w/the 125 & KatzEye see? (please )
Just throwing something out for ya: Did you take the optibright? Fwiw, I noted that for wide aperture lenses, you can (should?) not have that. Other than that... hmm.

And nice, colorful shots there J!

K.
02-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #359
m8o
Veteran Member

nope, sans optibrite.

So you don't see the same? In a well lit room but not real bright, you don't find 1/2 the disk getting up to 50% dark w/the 125 attached?
02-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #360
Inactive Account

Original Poster
nope, sans optibrite.

So you don't see the same? In a well lit room but not real bright, you don't find 1/2 the disk getting up to 50% dark w/the 125 attached?
It is! I really didn't notice, hadn't had the screen long enough to get around to using the VL with it. Still works though, interesting. Not sure about the cause however. Anybody?