Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #406
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivi in NYC

This thread is in serious need of a BUMP... The Voigtländer 125/2.5 is still my greatest and most loved lens. This shot taken @ f/4, 1/00sec, ISO125.

Mrs. M8o with her friend & co-worker's dog we often babysit, Vivi...

She's a citi dog [NYC], as expressed by NYC seen in her eyes. This, being a 1.5x zoom of the above, i.e. 150% crop:

Certainly brings the best out of my K10D.

05-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #407
Site Supporter

Nice image! bigthumbsup I was seriously considering this lens for my main macro and then production went "poof" and prices on the few that hit the market went to the moon.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
This thread is in serious need of a BUMP... The Voigtländer 125/2.5 is still my greatest and most loved lens. This shot taken @ f/4, 1/00sec, ISO125.

Mrs. M8o with her friend & co-worker's dog we often babysit, Vivi...

She's a citi dog [NYC], as expressed by NYC seen in her eyes. This, being a 1.5x zoom of the above, i.e. 150% crop:

Certainly brings the best out of my K10D.
05-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #408
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Nice image! :bigthumbsup: I was seriously considering this lens for my main macro and then production went "poof" and prices on the few that hit the market went to the moon.
thanx much It -- the full rez rezised to 800px wide by my hosting service Fotki -- looks over sharpened on my Dell Latitude E6500 screen but not on all my others, so hope it looks right for you.

Interesting you say that. Reminds me that I actually wanted to, and almost did, change my order to pick a 2nd one up as supplies were nearing their end when I purchased mine. And I never do something like that. But I had a good feeling this lens was going to become quite the 'classic'. But being a member of the "buy high sell low" crowd, it would be against my nature to do that and be one of those capitalizing on the demand for this lens.
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #409
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanx much It -- the full rez rezised to 800px wide by my hosting service Fotki -- looks over sharpened on my Dell Latitude E6500 screen but not on all my others, so hope it looks right for you.
The way Fotki oversharpened this lovely image is a travesty....

05-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #410
Site Supporter

. . . But being a member of the "buy high sell low" crowd, it would be against my nature to do that and be one of those capitalizing on the demand for this lens.
I thought I was an exclusive member of that club. BrownBag The portrait looks good on my monitor but I keep it calibrated.
05-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #411
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
The way Fotki oversharpened this lovely image is a travesty....
Wow, tell me about it! I didn't think the results would be this dramatic, but I just re-cut a version of the photo resized to 800px wide straight from Lightroom, thereby negating Fotki's resize of the full rez or 1600px wide version I often cut when I want to display @ 800px wide. You be the judge; the only thing I changed was I resized on export to 800px on the long side:

There's are so many parts of the photo that look better. But one that stands out the most is, notice the one subtle long hair that sticks out to the left even with Vivi's [the dog] bottom of her chin. Then take a look @ the original a few posts back; that hair transitions from white to black a few times. Maybe it's more a factor of Fotki's resizing algorithm they employ. It seems to be set-up for speed not quality, performing line 'dropping' as it goes instead of 4x4 or higher pixel interpolation.
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #412
Veteran Member

Wow, tell me about it! I didn't think the results would be this dramatic, but I just re-cut a version of the photo resized to 800px wide straight from Lightroom, thereby negating Fotki's resize of the full rez or 1600px wide version I often cut when I want to display @ 800px wide. You be the judge; the only thing I changed was I resized on export to 800px on the long side:

There's are so many parts of the photo that look better. But one that stands out the most is, notice the one subtle long hair that sticks out to the left even with Vivi's [the dog] bottom of her chin. Then take a look @ the original a few posts back; that hair transitions from white to black a few times. Maybe it's more a factor of Fotki's resizing algorithm they employ. It seems to be set-up for speed not quality, performing line 'dropping' as it goes instead of 4x4 or higher pixel interpolation.
Wow, much, much better!

Previously, the woman's hair was pix-elated, and the edge of the dog's hair to the background was a mess. It's looking great now! Certain photo sharing sites tend to use the wrong or bad algorithm for resizing (bicubic smoother/vs bicubic sharper), they also tend to sharpen after resizing, which can be catastrophic for certain images. When you have an extremely sharp lens like a Voigtlander, it usually can't take any additional PP sharpening.

05-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #413
Veteran Member

Voigtlander 40mm SLII wide open at f2.0

Got the 40mm lens a few days ago and I'm not entirely sure I like it that much. Not too crazy about the focusing ring, as it only turns about 150 degrees so precise focusing can be difficult at f2.0. I screwed up the focusing in this portrait, front focused a bit so the hands and sweater are sharper than the face. I might enjoy it more once I get used to the short focusing throw.

Flare control was worse than I expected; there's a light flare in this photo. Contrast and color were phenomenal, when you grab the correct exposure, no contrast adjustment in Lightroom is required.

Last edited by hangu; 05-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #414
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not too crazy about the focusing ring, as it only turns about 150 degrees so precise focusing can be difficult at f2.0. I screwed up the focusing in this portrait, front focused a bit so the hands and sweater are sharper than the face. I might enjoy it more once I get used to the short focusing throw.
Just a suggestion: Try focussing via Lifeview, too.
05-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #415
m8o
Veteran Member

Voigtlander 40mm SLII wide open at f2.0
Got the 40mm lens a few days ago and I'm not entirely sure I like it that much. Not too crazy about the focusing ring, as it only turns about 150 degrees so precise focusing can be difficult at f2.0. I screwed up the focusing in this portrait, front focused a bit so the hands and sweater are sharper than the face. I might enjoy it more once I get used to the short focusing throw.
This is the 1st time I heard anyone complain and use the word "only" in regards to 150 degrees of focus rotation and call that 'short'. Sure, it's no VL 125, though you have to consider the 2nd rotation it has is to extend the lens with the built-in extender. But 150 degrees of focus is a lot more than all my Pentax and other MF lens I have.
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fwiw... thanks A LOT you guys....lol.... after reading this post i was lucky enough to purchase a 180mm f4.... from a forum member... anxiously awaiting it's arrival.... seems like these voigt lenses have that 'cult' status, and from research here and elsewhere, deservedly so....
i'll post my less than scientific experiences and pics after playing with my new 'toy'... i'm so happy..... dave m....
05-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #417
Veteran Member

This is the 1st time I heard anyone complain and use the word "only" in regards to 150 degrees of focus rotation and call that 'short'. Sure, it's no VL 125, though you have to consider the 2nd rotation it has is to extend the lens with the built-in extender. But 150 degrees of focus is a lot more than all my Pentax and other MF lens I have.
Are you sure? My Pentax-K 55mm f2 gives me at least 270 degrees of rotation. Even my Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 gives me at least 200 degrees of rotation. 150 degrees is certainly short. I'd accept 150 deg for a wide angle such as the 20mm but 40mm is really cutting it. I'm having a much harder time focusing this lens than any of my other lenses. Perhaps, I'm not used to the new throw and may grow to like it but so far it's a big negative for me.
05-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #418
m8o
Veteran Member

Are you sure? My Pentax-K 55mm f2 gives me at least 270 degrees of rotation. Even my Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 gives me at least 200 degrees of rotation. 150 degrees is certainly short. I'd accept 150 deg for a wide angle such as the 20mm but 40mm is really cutting it. I'm having a much harder time focusing this lens than any of my other lenses. Perhaps, I'm not used to the new throw and may grow to like it but so far it's a big negative for me.
My gawd, what is going on w/my mind lately. It's almost as if I confused 180 degrees with 360 degrees or something.... and when read 150 degrees thought "that's almost a full rotation" ... or, actually, that's exactly what I did!

Working from 9:30am until 2am most every night since early winter must be taking a toll I wasn't aware of on me. So sorry. Please disregard my last statement. I'm going nuts here burning my brain cells from over work and mixing things up that I learned in grade school!
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #419
Veteran Member

My gawd, what is going on w/my mind lately. It's almost as if I confused 180 degrees with 360 degrees or something.... and when read 150 degrees thought "that's almost a full rotation" ... or, actually, that's exactly what I did!

Working from 9:30am until 2am most every night since early winter must be taking a toll I wasn't aware of on me. So sorry. Please disregard my last statement. I'm going nuts here burning my brain cells from over work and mixing things up that I learned in grade school!
Dude, chill out... not a big deal. I get 180/360 confused all the time.

I do like the lens, the colors/contrast are top notch. I just have to learn how to get used to the focusing barrel.

05-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #420
m8o
Veteran Member

Dude, chill out... not a big deal. I get 180/360 confused all the time.
Lol, as that being one thing I never used to mix-up in the past I felt obligated to be overly apologetic.

Last edited by m8o; 05-11-2010 at 06:56 AM.