Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #541
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
To the users of the Voigt Nokton 58/1.4 SLII: Do you guys use a hood most of the time? I use a hood but would like to know experiences of those that shoot not using a hood since I am contemplating going hoodless (the lens is just too beautiful to hide with a hood! Hehe..). Your comments would be most apreciated. Thanks!
Vince - if you don't use a filter then the hood is the best way to protect your lense. I never use filters for protection but every lense I use has a hood on it every time I use it (except the Tamron 90 macro - which has a very deep recess to the glass and a hood would frighten the bugs).

07-08-2011, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
Voigtlander 58mm

Ocean moisture rolling in:


Last edited by les3547; 11-16-2012 at 02:52 PM.
07-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #543
rhe
Senior Member
rhe's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 271
A very appealing capture Les.

I particularly like how the sun on the vines in the foreground contrast with the darker trees in the midground.

Thanks for sharing!
07-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by rhe Quote
A very appealing capture Les.

I particularly like how the sun on the vines in the foreground contrast with the darker trees in the midground.

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you rhe.

Edit: Thanks Bart.


Last edited by les3547; 07-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
07-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #545
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,483
QuoteOriginally posted by rhe Quote
A very appealing capture Les.

I particularly like how the sun on the vines in the foreground contrast with the darker trees in the midground.

Thanks for sharing!
Agreed! Another one for the wall, I think.
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,435
Les, where'd your VL75 post go? Those were some great pics!
07-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Les, where'd your VL75 post go? Those were some great pics!
I thought it might seem like bragging . . . should I post it again? I do feel like a proud new father.

07-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #548
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
I passed on a Voigtlander 90/3.5 (PK mount) today whilst browsing a camera mall. Anyone have / know much about this lense ? Is it worth the US$430 they are asking ? I did try it on the K5 - incredibly sharp but the slow 3.5 seemed to prevent me getting 3D isolation.
07-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,435
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I thought it might seem like bragging . . . should I post it again? I do feel like a proud new father.
No worries, we're just happy to see another VL, especially a rare one like that! It certainly has the VL rendering and sharpness, quite the find!
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #550
Veteran Member
vinceloc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I passed on a Voigtlander 90/3.5 (PK mount) today whilst browsing a camera mall. Anyone have / know much about this lense ? Is it worth the US$430 they are asking ? I did try it on the K5 - incredibly sharp but the slow 3.5 seemed to prevent me getting 3D isolation.

Hi Frogfish,

I am also looking at that lens. I have only heard good things about the lens, with its only drawback being a f3.5. But even Photozone is very impressed with that lens.
Here's their review: Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 SL (Nikon) - Review / Test Report

If they are selling the lens new, then their price is very good. Cameraquest is selling the SL (old stock) for $599 and the SLII for $589.

Vincent

BTW, do you have any problems focusing accurately with your K5 and CV58/1.4 combination when shooting wide open? I'm thinking of getting a K5, but am hesitant because of their focusing issues (as what some users claim). I mainly rely on the focus assist indicator for accurate focusing, since my eyesight is really bad, and luckily, my k200D is spot on with my CV58/1.4. What's your experience with the K5? Thanks for your input!
07-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #551
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
90mm Apo Lanthar SII



07-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #552
Senior Member
jurysi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 111
Wow, nice find Les. That's a beautiful lens and seemingly so difficult to obtain. I can already see its potential!
07-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
VL 90mm

QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Hi Frogfish,

I am also looking at that lens. I have only heard good things about the lens, with its only drawback being a f3.5. But even Photozone is very impressed with that lens.
Here's their review: Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 90mm f/3.5 SL (Nikon) - Review / Test Report

If they are selling the lens new, then their price is very good. Cameraquest is selling the SL (old stock) for $599 and the SLII for $589.

Vincent

BTW, do you have any problems focusing accurately with your K5 and CV58/1.4 combination when shooting wide open? I'm thinking of getting a K5, but am hesitant because of their focusing issues (as what some users claim). I mainly rely on the focus assist indicator for accurate focusing, since my eyesight is really bad, and luckily, my k200D is spot on with my CV58/1.4. What's your experience with the K5? Thanks for your input!
Vincent/Frogfish . . . the VL 90mm is an amazing lens, I never notice it only opens to 3.5 since I seldom need the speed. But regarding Frogfish's concern about bokeh, the VL 90mm does it very well. Here's links to shots where I used the VL 90mm specifically to demonstrate it could do bokeh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/les3547-albums-exploring-digital-...cture18930.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/les3547-albums-exploring-digital-...cture18934.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/les3547-albums-exploring-digital-...cture20590.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/les3547-albums-exploring-digital-...cture18927.jpg

Good luck.
07-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #554
Senior Member
jurysi's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 111
Les: Great, informative review, which is even more beneficial to the forums as its such a rare lens without any former reviews. I've had my eye on voigtlanders for a few years (since I got my K-7), but for some reason have never gotten one. For now I think the price has inflated to the point where I may have missed the ideal time to purchase one (ideally I would get the 125 based on the current lenses I have). The 75 has always been appealing, and it's certainly telling that you say it may be your favourite performer of the brand based on your extensive experience. I don't like the idea of comparing lenses and prefer to let them stand on their own, but I'm curious how the 75 would compare generally the the 77 limited.
07-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by jurysi Quote
Les: Great, informative review, which is even more beneficial to the forums as its such a rare lens without any former reviews. I've had my eye on voigtlanders for a few years (since I got my K-7), but for some reason have never gotten one. For now I think the price has inflated to the point where I may have missed the ideal time to purchase one (ideally I would get the 125 based on the current lenses I have). The 75 has always been appealing, and it's certainly telling that you say it may be your favourite performer of the brand based on your extensive experience. I don't like the idea of comparing lenses and prefer to let them stand on their own, but I'm curious how the 75 would compare generally the the 77 limited.
Thank you for the kind words.

I almost bought the FA 77 Limited instead of the VL 75 (because it has AF), that was part of the reason I didn't buy the VL 75 right off the bat. In the end I decided that my experience with Voigtlander has been so good (plus I've owned two Limiteds which were nice, but I preferred Voigtlander's IQ).

The VL 125 is extremely expensive, and hard to find -- not the best lens to have on one's wish list (I know, it's on mine). But I have to say the VL 58 is an amazing lens too . . . just a bit above all the other VLs I own except possibly for the VL 75. At first I liked the VL 90 the best because it is a focal length I shoot at a lot, and it is a fantastic lens too like the other VLs. But again and again the 58 has yielded surprises.

One thing I think is, people tend to lust after what is least available, but that doesn't always mean it's the best. I suspect the VL 58mm is not as appreciated as it will be when it can't be bought retail anymore.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, af, bit, color, da, detail, f1.4, f3.5, f5.6, info, lenses, nokton, pentax lens, picture, pm, post, quality, shot, sigma, skopar, slii, vl, voigtlander, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss ZK LBA - pics, notes, thoughts? thePiRaTE!! Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 173 10-15-2012 02:18 PM
LBA challenge: October--post your pics here monochrome Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 1 11-01-2008 01:43 PM
LBA challenge: September--post your pics here heatherslightbox Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 47 11-01-2008 09:46 AM
LBA challenge October--post your pics here heatherslightbox Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 3 10-23-2008 11:38 AM
Voigtländer macro - first pics jankok Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 11-16-2007 03:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top