Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Looking good. I like the lens for the same reasons you've captured here - quality macro and portraits. I think you'll enjoy its longer range capabilities as well, its a solid infinity focuser as well, just remember to kick the focus dial back out a bit after hitting the end of the throw---- in fact, could you test yours to see if its a factor on yours? Take a shot with the lens all the way in, and then just a tiny touch back out, if you would. I'm still trying to figure out of how much of this trait is due to my camera or the lens.

10-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #47
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yep, that too. What I saw of its detail on the mountain shots here or link from here was another reason I bought it.

as I looked out the back of my house and I saw the sun going down making the sky pink and the land purple on the bank of the other side of the inlet to the bays, I was saying how I needed to shoot that too; didn't tho. tomorrow (or today @ this point) should be a similar day so similar sunset, which I'll get. I did notice when focusing something a few dozen feet away, I had to dial back on the focus, but that just may be the subject wasn't far enough away. I'll see tomorrow.
10-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #48
Inactive Account

I am just blown away by the results of these Voigtlander lenses! I couldn't resist so I ordered the 125mm f2.5 APO-Lanthar from Stephen Gandy today. I like the series with your dogs; the colour, the bokeh and the image is razor sharp. I am done with mediocrity - bring me the best!

There is another series on pbase done with this lens and the 180mm. Each picture earned a "Wow!" from me - I am easily bitten by the LBA bug with glass like this. (I'll definitely be putting my Kenko extension tubes up for sale once this macro lens arrives!)
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #49
m8o
Veteran Member

glad I could help, and looking forward to your additions! If you're anything like me, it should be invigorating.

10-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #50

Any puch recommendations?

Hi everyone,
I will get my 125 Lanthar in the next few days. I do think that the lens if purchased by Stephen Gandy doesn't come with any pouch. Can someone recommend one for this fine lens (e. g. by pointing to a good one from B&H)?
Thanks in advance!
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #51
m8o
Veteran Member

Interesting ... I used ziplocks up to this point with all my lenses. This sounds much better so I'll have to look into it too.
10-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #52
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Perhaps 24 hours premature, but hey, I felt like sharing -

An old Christmas orange, dressed up last year for the season and still kickin'. Courtesy of the 125, w00t.

K.

10-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #53
and
Veteran Member

Nice shot, the orange frame fits well. Oh my this lens is making my mouth water
I would say not only does it have extreme sharpness and unusual lack of negative characteristics such as CA, it also has some great color rendering.
10-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #54
m8o
Veteran Member

it's also the most 'contrasty' of my lenses. too contrasty @ times; with my bad skillz/technique & limited knowledge . It is the only lens I have that I am blowing highlights and dark shadows with. Shooting RAW, I find I have to put my contrast to 0 or a negative # in Lightroom when processing it to keep the histogram from peaking @ both ends. I've never experienced that before (I was thinking about making a thread about it w/examples). I'm going to have to experiment with using a negative EV compensation when I shoot a few hours after sunrise or before sunset. that's in no way a negative criticism about the lens. Just a statement that the lens needs me to up my skillz to be as good as it is! Oh, and since I received the lens, it hasn't come off the camera! (tried it with the 1.7x TC over the weekend to great success)
11-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #55
and
Veteran Member

I caved today.... Saw the 90 and 180 as well, they were smaller than I thought. The 90 is really sharp too, sharper than the nikon 85mm. Too bad its f3.5 thats just too slow, if it had been 2.8 it would still be slow for that range but then Id more strongly consider one. The price is great though. And it should be 85 not 90, 90 is too close to my 100 f2.8....

The 180 is nice too, but I guess 125 pluss TC is just as good.

I dont have any time to test mine yet... it was smaller than I thought. I dont like the screw in lens cap, takes forever. but the cap that goes outside the hood is nice, easy to remove.

Also I had assumed the grey ring on the lens was the focusing ring but actuallt the whole barrel is the focusing ring. I like the damping much better than my stiff-as-hell a 300. but the focusing distance...oh man... if you are doing 1:1 macro and someone asks you to take their picture you will be like "sure, in 5 minutes.... just need to turn my focusing ring first".

Looked at the photozone tests again, man these lenses are crazy! compare them to the leica 50, canon 50 1.2, zeiss 85. they are so sharp and all other properties are amazingly good too.

So I decided this was a living (soon dead) legend and I had to pick it up before it was too late. If I ever decide to sell it then I dont expect to loose money on it as well so its a good investment.

Glad to be in the snobby VL club lets all go to the post your photos forum and post negative comments on any picture as long as its not taken with a VL lens
11-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #56
m8o
Veteran Member

GREAT TO HEAR! Thanx for brightening my day and! Very funny read!

You don't need me to say it, but I will anyway... ENJOY! I look forward to seeing your entry in the Macro contest using this lens ...
11-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #57
and
Veteran Member

Thanks

Now I should test it against the FA 100 Macro. I cant really justify having 2 macro lenses, and only 25mm apart... but then again there is no non-macro 100mm for pentax... (with AF that is). Other than that it does fit in my prime plan, as a replacement for a 135mm prime.

Now the question is if any of the other VL lenses need to be picked up too They are not as expensive, almost half price from the 125.

You know its funny, normally macro lenses will be a bit slower than non-macro lenses. but in the case of voigtlander its the oposite, their macro lens is faster than other lenses in that raneg, but their other lenses are slower. even macro 180mm's are f3.5 normally.

Its ironic that if I want to buy a pentax 1.7x TC to make the 125 longer then its actually cheaper to buy the 180 instead of the TC. 1.4 TCs are cheap though.
11-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #58
and
Veteran Member

Still thinking hard if I should pick up some of the other VL's too

In the meantime, here are some nice flower pics, if you scroll down a bit especally. From the VL 40mm f2, and some very nice ones from the 90mm f3.5. A lot of the pics in there have got the VL WOW factor

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/takany_/c/7eef3155abf1e4132a9422efc9eba9ff
11-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #59
and
Veteran Member

Was gonna post some shots from the site, but seems they are protected against that Those 90mm shots look killer...
scroll down to the APO-LANTHAR 90mm F3.5 SL header
11-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Speaking of not resisting, I noticed something VERY exciting over at camera quest - NEW COSINA SL lenses at the same great prices! New 40/2 and 58/1.4 'SLII's for release in Nov and Dec respectively. I've preordered my 58/1.4, but will pass on the 40 myself. AND, they got in some more 90's, 125's and 180's - though the price has risen by $50 on the 125s. As they get to the last of them, I'm not surprised.

The 90 is only 295 bucks... as And has pointed out, the rendering quality is simply awesome. I caved yesterday and ordered one to go with my 125 and 180 when I preordered the 58. I really have to admit, I'm using my 180 A LOT. I didn't know if I would, but the quality is (blantantly) superior to any other tele I have, so I tend to work my way up closer to things and use the 180 instead of anything else now. The f4 means I pack it up after the sun goes down, but thats really not unusual for any tele. For outdoor, daylight stuff I can't beat it and the size!?! fricken tiny = steady free handing my shots, choice for action pics. The 90 has a lot stiffer competition in its range, but we all know the happiness the APO/ED glass in the rest of the line provides... and for 295? I did it. Think of it this way - if you are doing portraiture, its going to be outside or in a lit studio - it'll be fine. We already know that the bokeh is awesome, even without a super f-stop rating which is the other concern and your not going to get a sharper, better rendered image. For 295. Two Ninety Five. Thats a silly price for the quality, lol. I'll report back and try to reign in my enthusiasm and give you an honest shake-down of whether or not it earns it place in the bag (though for its size I could toss it in my pocket, lol)

Some 180 shots for you - from our weekend airsoft game (I PPd things to my liking, but I really didn't have to do much, just correcting for exposure or contrast, software sharpening simply isn't necessary). The shots show the sort of clarity, color rendition and absolute resistance to fringing the lens offers, and a nice rose pic that shows these some smooth bokeh and detail. I selectively enhanced desaturation of this image -

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 11-15-2007 at 10:07 AM.