Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #646
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 385
I have the 40mm/f2 in EF mount and it is becoming my favourite lens

BTW, was the 58mm Nokton only released for Pentax and Nikon mounts? Amazing shots in this thread!

11-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Thanks Zoltan

Question to those that have tried the CV20/3.5 SLII and the DA40/3.2 Ltd. - Which of the two lenses would you keep?

I presently have the DA40Ltd and have the opportunity to exchange it for the CV20/3.5 SLII. I'm not very happy with the color rendition of the DA40Ltd. (too "digital" looking IMHO) compared to my CV Nokton 58/1.4 SLII.

Help!!
It seems like we share similar views on DA lenses (except instead of "digital" I usually refer to their IQ as "clinical"). Of all the CV lenses, the 20mm is the hardest for me to evaluate. My mind has changed several times, but I don't know if it's the lens or my failure to appreciate the 20mm focal length.

My problem is that I have a hard time "seeing" a picture if I don't feel like I am part of the scene the lens' FL offers. Both wide angle and long telephoto lenses make it hard for me to feel a part of things; on the wide side because I feel lost in it, and on the long end because it isolates too much from the environment. The recent shootout I participated in with the FA31 and the Contax-Zeiss 28mm made me fall in love with the 28mm focal length (as well as the beautiful IQ of the CZ 28). It was just about perfect as a wide angle (even though technically it is a "normal" FL on APS-C). I can imagine that a 24mm lens would be the widest I could go and still feel part of any picture I shot.

So I have the CV20, but I don't use it much. It is a solid performer, but I am not sure if it quite has the magic of the other Voigtlanders. Yet I can't say for sure because I don't know if the problem is me or the lens. I would never characterize it as "too digital" however, plus it is beautifully made and I don't think there is a better 20mm FL around except for the Zeiss 21mm at four times the price.

I see you have mostly zooms Vincent (at least listed in your profile). If you are looking to build a set of primes to cover the most used focal lengths, all the Voigtlanders that are still available for retail purchase are superb. The CZ40 and (especially) the CZ90 are no exceptions, so if you like the 20mm focal length, it might be a great next addition in building a set of quality primes.

Last edited by les3547; 11-08-2011 at 09:56 AM.
11-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #648
Veteran Member
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,223
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
It seems like we share similar views on DA lenses (except instead of "digital" I usually refer to their IQ as "clinical"). Of all the CV lenses, the 20mm is the hardest for me to evaluate. My mind has changed several times, but I don't know if it's the lens or my failure to appreciate the 20mm focal length.

My problem is that I have a hard time "seeing" a picture if I don't feel like I am part of the scene the lens' FL offers. Both wide angle and long telephoto lenses make it hard for me to feel a part of things; on the wide side because I feel lost in it, and on the long end because it isolates too much from the environment. The recent shootout I participated in with the FA31 and the Contax-Zeiss 28mm made me fall in love with the 28mm focal length (as well as the beautiful IQ of the CZ 28). It was just about perfect as a wide angle (even though technically it is a "normal" FL on APS-C). I can imagine that a 24mm lens would be the widest I could go and still feel part of any picture I shot.

So I have the CV20, but I don't use it much. It is a solid performer, but I am not sure if it quite has the magic of the other Voigtlanders. Yet I can't say for sure because I don't know if the problem is me or the lens. I would never characterize it as "too digital" however, plus it is beautifully made and I don't think there is a better 20mm FL around except for the Zeiss 21mm at four times the price.

I see you have mostly zooms Vincent (at least listed in your profile). If you are looking to build a set of primes to cover the most used focal lengths, all the Voigtlanders that are still available for retail purchase are superb. The CZ40 and (especially) the CZ90 are no exceptions, so if you like the 20mm focal length, it might be a great next addition in building a set of quality primes.
+1 les.
I couldn't do another shootout yet, but noticed, how sharp the CV20 @ f8 is. I said you then it feels about as sharp as Distagon 21 at this aperture. And I'm getting more and more sure about this statement. I guess, the difference will appear at FF, but on APS-C it's just as good at f6.7-f8.
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
+1 les.
I couldn't do another shootout yet, but noticed, how sharp the CV20 @ f8 is. I said you then it feels about as sharp as Distagon 21 at this aperture. And I'm getting more and more sure about this statement. I guess, the difference will appear at FF, but on APS-C it's just as good at f6.7-f8.
Interesting. The CV20 is a sharp little devil alright . . . in the pictures you sent me I thought the color/contrast rendering of your Zeiss 21mm was better than the CV20, but then, as I said, at quite a premium price too.

11-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #650
Veteran Member
vinceloc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
It seems like we share similar views on DA lenses (except instead of "digital" I usually refer to their IQ as "clinical"). Of all the CV lenses, the 20mm is the hardest for me to evaluate. My mind has changed several times, but I don't know if it's the lens or my failure to appreciate the 20mm focal length.

My problem is that I have a hard time "seeing" a picture if I don't feel like I am part of the scene the lens' FL offers. Both wide angle and long telephoto lenses make it hard for me to feel a part of things; on the wide side because I feel lost in it, and on the long end because it isolates too much from the environment. The recent shootout I participated in with the FA31 and the Contax-Zeiss 28mm made me fall in love with the 28mm focal length (as well as the beautiful IQ of the CZ 28). It was just about perfect as a wide angle (even though technically it is a "normal" FL on APS-C). I can imagine that a 24mm lens would be the widest I could go and still feel part of any picture I shot.

So I have the CV20, but I don't use it much. It is a solid performer, but I am not sure if it quite has the magic of the other Voigtlanders. Yet I can't say for sure because I don't know if the problem is me or the lens. I would never characterize it as "too digital" however, plus it is beautifully made and I don't think there is a better 20mm FL around except for the Zeiss 21mm at four times the price.

I see you have mostly zooms Vincent (at least listed in your profile). If you are looking to build a set of primes to cover the most used focal lengths, all the Voigtlanders that are still available for retail purchase are superb. The CZ40 and (especially) the CZ90 are no exceptions, so if you like the 20mm focal length, it might be a great next addition in building a set of quality primes.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Les. Looks like I made a mistake in my post though. I am thinking on whether it is worth to change the DA21/3.2Ltd. (not the DA40/2.8) for the CV20/3.5. Sorry to have confused you guys.

As for my profile, well I haven't updated it lately, hehe... Now I have three primes (CV58, DA40Ltd and DA21Ltd) and one zoom (Sigma 50-150/2.8 HSM II). So it's really whether I should exchange my DA21/3.2 for the CV20/3.5. If you were in my place, would you?

Last edited by vinceloc; 11-08-2011 at 06:10 PM.
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #651
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
So it's really whether I should exchange my DA21/3.2 for the CV20/3.5. If you were in my place, would you?
I would, if you don't mind losing AF. As I said, I agree with you about the "digital" look of the DA Limiteds, which isn't to say that's a bad thing. Plenty of people seem to like it, but I prefer the way Voigtlanders render color and contrast, and they are all as sharp as any Limited lens as well. I plan to practice more with the CV20, but I did dig up this shot from last Spring. As usual around this blustery place (too close to the ocean), the wind was blowing, so the white flowers aren't terribly clear, but I think the color/contrast of the CV20 shows well:

11-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #652
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: PERTH
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50
Hi guys, not really happy with the fact Les and Vincent find the ltd lenses too"digital".
Just planning to get my first limited: 77mm,but now I do have some second thoughts,
but I got to go for AF, my eyes are not the same anymore......
Les can you just point out where can you still buy Voigtlanders?

11-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #653
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 121
I'll jump in if you don't mind.......Voigtlanders in the PK mount are becoming harder to come by. Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest still has some stock of the 20/40/58/90 in the SL II (chipped) version.

You can send him an e-mail.

R
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by lensego Quote
Hi guys, not really happy with the fact Les and Vincent find the ltd lenses too"digital".
Just planning to get my first limited: 77mm,but now I do have some second thoughts,
but I got to go for AF, my eyes are not the same anymore......
Les can you just point out where can you still buy Voigtlanders?
Hi Zoltan,

For my part, I didn't mean to include FA Limiteds, just the DA Limiteds (I've owned the DA 15mm and the DA 35mm Limiteds). My singular experience with the FA 31mm was great; I found it similar in IQ to the Voigtlanders, and I've heard similar praise for the FA 77mm.

The Voigtlanders still available for retail purchace are the 20mm, 40mm, 58mm, and the 90mm (I still occasionally see a used 180mm for sale on Ebay, usually for around $1200; and also the 75mm used once in awhile, usually for around $750-800).

Adorama and B&H still sell the 90mm, but if you check out their listings for Voigtlanders they list all other focal lengths as discontinued or out of stock, a sign the last of the Voigtlanders are being sold. The best source right now is Ebay . . . at this link you can see the four FLs I mentioned are still available mostly from Hong Kong (good for you I assume since it's closer -- I've found HKBNS to be a great seller). I say, get 'em while you can, they are about to become extinct!
11-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #655
Veteran Member
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,223
QuoteOriginally posted by lensego Quote
Hi guys, not really happy with the fact Les and Vincent find the ltd lenses too"digital".
Just planning to get my first limited: 77mm,but now I do have some second thoughts,
but I got to go for AF, my eyes are not the same anymore......
Les can you just point out where can you still buy Voigtlanders?
Don't worry. The FA Ltds are different from DAs.
It looks like I've found what I dislike the most in DA Ltds: they are all do this about the same, although this effect is the most expressed on 15Ltd.

CZ Distagon 21


DA 15Ltd


They were in the same conditions, but exposure time of Distagon were 8 seconds but it was only 6 seconds with 15Ltd. So the effect of DR compression is strongly pronounced with distagon. FA Ltds do it as well, and this helps to produce images with nice smooth transitions with the soft, dispersed lightning. I found the 15Ltd performs much worse in this regard, as well as other DA Ltds.
11-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #656
Veteran Member
vinceloc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 367
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I would, if you don't mind losing AF. As I said, I agree with you about the "digital" look of the DA Limiteds, which isn't to say that's a bad thing. Plenty of people seem to like it, but I prefer the way Voigtlanders render color and contrast, and they are all as sharp as any Limited lens as well. I plan to practice more with the CV20, but I did dig up this shot from last Spring. As usual around this blustery place (too close to the ocean), the wind was blowing, so the white flowers aren't terribly clear, but I think the color/contrast of the CV20 shows well:
Thanks Les

I followed your advice and purchased the CV20/3.5 SLII!!! Now my DA21/3.2Ltd will have to go for sale

As for my comment on the DA lenses being too "digitally saturated", well I noticed that first when I compared shots taken with my DA21/3.2 and those taken with my now sold (due to growing lens separation haze in the internal elements) FA20-35/4. It becomes especially noticeable when taking landscapes and buildings. It disappointed me quite a bit, coming from the FA20-35/4 AL

Consider this shot, one of the last taken with the FA20-35/4 AL before I sold it. And to think the lens already had severe fogging due to internal lens separation!


No way did the DA21/3.2 produce colors this rich. My only other lens that comes close to these colors is the CV58/1.4 SLII.
11-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
I followed your advice and purchased the CV20/3.5 SLII!!!
Awesome, we will all be looking forward to seeing some shots with it (you too Emac )
11-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #658
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zhukovsky,Russia / SF Bay Area
Posts: 249
Guys, do you use original VL lens hoods or some 3-rd party? Are they really needed? I used to be skeptic about hoods, since most of Pentax lenses work fine even without hoods, or have built-in ones. VL90 and VL58 from my experience are also ok to use without hoods. But there are hoods for them available. Anybody uses?

Thanks.
11-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
les3547's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sebastopol, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,020
QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
Guys, do you use original VL lens hoods or some 3-rd party? Are they really needed? I used to be skeptic about hoods, since most of Pentax lenses work fine even without hoods, or have built-in ones. VL90 and VL58 from my experience are also ok to use without hoods. But there are hoods for them available. Anybody uses?

Thanks.
Here's how I do it.
11-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #660
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 161
Pentax K-x + CV Ultron 40/2










Last edited by mika.; 11-12-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
20mm, af, bit, color, da, detail, f1.4, f3.5, f5.6, info, lenses, nokton, pentax lens, picture, pm, post, quality, shot, sigma, skopar, slii, vl, voigtlander, zeiss
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zeiss ZK LBA - pics, notes, thoughts? thePiRaTE!! Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 173 10-15-2012 02:18 PM
LBA challenge: October--post your pics here monochrome Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 1 11-01-2008 01:43 PM
LBA challenge: September--post your pics here heatherslightbox Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 47 11-01-2008 09:46 AM
LBA challenge October--post your pics here heatherslightbox Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 3 10-23-2008 11:38 AM
Voigtländer macro - first pics jankok Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 11-16-2007 03:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top