Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #781

My LBA recently hit me, so I am waiting for old Voigtlander Color Ultron 50/1.8 in m42 thread mount. This lens was produced in 70s (and probably 80s), when Voigtlander was a part of Rollei. When ultron design was introduced first time (in 50s), it was claimed to double the resolution of comparable tessars. Will see in a couple of weeks if this is true :)

P.S. But VL 40/2 is in my LBA list as well. The pictures above are outstanding!

07-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #782
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
My LBA recently hit me, so I am waiting for old Voigtlander Color Ultron 50/1.8 in m42 thread mount. This lens was produced in 70s (and probably 80s), when Voigtlander was a part of Rollei. When ultron design was introduced first time (in 50s), it was claimed to double the resolution of comparable tessars. Will see in a couple of weeks if this is true

P.S. But VL 40/2 is in my LBA list as well. The pictures above are outstanding!
There is I think one is on ebay right now, pretty sure its in my watch list and itsin like mint condition and the dudeis selling it for like only a couple hundred. I just got my CV20 in today and from reading on cosinas website and seeing that the new hood for the 28 is compatible with the 20 on aps-c sensors I decided to try my 40 hood on it since it's pretty much the same hood and viola, a perfect hood for aps-c, still gotta get the FF hood though for my MX. From what I can tell right of the bat it carries the "POP" that the 40 has, or maybe it's just my K-01? well anyways heading off to berkeley to try out the new lens...
07-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #783
Veteran Member

Loving these pancakes, so tiny and so beautifully made... Here are some shot with the skopar, I'll be heading out to lands end in san francisco tomorrow to hopefully get some good wide angle land scapes, just wish I had an ND filter, might have to pick one up...

07-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #784
Veteran Member

Went down to lands end in SF today...

07-21-2012, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #785
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work bmonki!

Here are a couple new ones from my Nokton 58/1.4, both shot wide open:

I think the second one is may fav shot with this lens so far.
07-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #786
Veteran Member

Your not helping my LBA... Hopefully I'll be an owner of a nokton in the next month or so...
07-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Your not helping my LBA... Hopefully I'll be an owner of a nokton in the next month or so...
Haha oh LBA, I feel it comes in waves for me. The Nokton is a solid lens. F/1.4 sharpness debateably isn't as good as say the DA55, but the bokeh rocks, and it becomes incredibly sharp ~2.8 and beyond. I often use f/2.2-2.5 for single portraits with great success. I've done couples full or half body portraits at 1.4 as well, just be sure to sweep focus while taking pictures. For some reason the "sharp" zone on the Nokton at 1.4 is smaller than similar lenses, it's as if the DOF fall-off is non-linear. Regardless, it's one of my two favorites that I don't see ever parting with (the other being the practically perfect Zeiss 35/2).

Good luck with your purchase! My Bokina 90/2.5 is currently broken (mount fell apart), so if I can't get it fixed I imagine I'll be buying the VL90.

08-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #788

I've got Voigtlander Color-Ultron 50/1.8 today in m42 mount. Nice little lens. Unfortunately:
1) This is my first m42 lens so I am still looking for genuine m42-K adapter for the reasonable price;
2) The aperture ring was loose, so I completely disassembled the lens trying to understand why. I managed to assemble it back, but not exactly right. So need one more round.

Nevertheless, I tried a couple of shots wide open attaching the lens to the camera by hand, and it is sharp, contrasty and colorful. I hope to get it fully functional next week.
08-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #789
Veteran Member

Kaipa - PM me if you need the adapter. I have a new, in box, Pentax M42-K adapter in my drawer, unused.

I am exploring the prospect of getting the 90mm VL, but its at a premium of $750. How much would be adequate for something like this? How about the Scopar.... it seems ridiculously priced at about the same, when last year, I could have gotten it for the $4xx.
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #790

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Kaipa - PM me if you need the adapter. I have a new, in box, Pentax M42-K adapter in my drawer, unused.

I am exploring the prospect of getting the 90mm VL, but its at a premium of $750. How much would be adequate for something like this? How about the Scopar.... it seems ridiculously priced at about the same, when last year, I could have gotten it for the $4xx.
PM-ed with links to adequate prices. Prices go up, you're right.
08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As Kaipa says, prices go up. It's probably because the stock is getting low, so it might be getting close your last chance to buy one new. IMO, all the Voigtlanders were underpriced anyway, at least compared to Pentax's price for FA Limited lenses, which I believe the VLs equal or surpass in IQ. Except for the 125, I find the 90 is the sharpest lens of the bunch, and it has the color rendition and contrast typical of all Voigtlanders. Another thing I really like is how compact and light it is for a 90mm, quite surprising, and then add its ability to close focus, and it adds up to a lot of lens, my favorite. As you might guess, if I didn't already own one, I would pay $750 for it or work hard to find one used a bit cheaper.

There's one on Ebay now for $617.

Last edited by les3547; 08-13-2012 at 09:38 AM.
08-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #792
Veteran Member

I had the Ultron, sold it (ouch), but retained the Nokton. I have a couple of 35/f2 (Zeiss Distagon and SMC M), but would like to get the 90 before it disapppears. Thanks for the link. I'll look into it.
08-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #793
Veteran Member

oh... hkbns.com has the 90s for cheap, under $500...

EDIT: they have all the pentax voigts at the original non inflated prices and they give free next day shipping, but be prepared to be hit with import taxes if you live in america I was hit with one, only $12 though...
08-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
oh... hkbns.com has the 90s for cheap, under $500...

EDIT: they have all the pentax voigts at the original non inflated prices and they give free next day shipping, but be prepared to be hit with import taxes if you live in america I was hit with one, only $12 though...
As a follow-up:
hkbns website says its available, but then you get an email stating not in stock. I did get a NIB VL 90 from their competitor in Hong Kong, shipped stateside, for $617 (Thanks, Les!). Arrived 2 days ago. Images are, as you would expect, sharp. Just an exhilerating lens to use, to say it mildly, but simply. Thanks, guys....
08-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #795
Veteran Member

As a follow-up:
hkbns website says its available, but then you get an email stating not in stock. I did get a NIB VL 90 from their competitor in Hong Kong, shipped stateside, for $617 (Thanks, Les!). Arrived 2 days ago. Images are, as you would expect, sharp. Just an exhilerating lens to use, to say it mildly, but simply. Thanks, guys....
good to know, I bought the 20 from them and bought my 40 used...