Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Release dates:
ULTRON 40mm F2 SLII Aspherical(KA) 17 dec

..although on the cosina japan page it says 29 nov for the KA version.

58: says "in december", looks like they will cost the same...
I had both of 58 and 40 coming my way. My dealer told me that it would be definitely around mid december.

These types of manual focus lenses are cheap to manufacture. I never understood why I ordered these lenses for the prices ...

11-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #77
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Congrats on the 180 And, I think you will find it a surpisingly endearing purchase.

I got a little bad news, the 90s at camera quest sold the day before I sent in my request for one. I was gutted, lol. I don't suppose you'de be willing to help me get the one at your local shop?

Like Roentarre, I preordered the 58. I passed on the 40 though. Its a little too close to the 31 ltd which I love and use lots.

M80, I think the confusion regarding the 'new' 40 and the existing one thats out is that the new ones are 'SLII' instead of just SL. They are 'chipped' now to work with digital cameras, like the Lanthars do. If I understand the point of this correctly, they previously acted like 'K's instead of 'A's.
11-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #78
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I had both of 58 and 40 coming my way. My dealer told me that it would be definitely around mid december.
Had? Not anymore?

These types of manual focus lenses are cheap to manufacture. I never understood why I ordered these lenses for the prices ...
afaik, these are largely hand assembled, in Japan. I agree MF lenses should be cheaper than AF lenses, but then again there is a quality difference too. I think the VL's are tremendous value, just compare them with the new Zeiss lenses, now they are expensive....
11-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Oops, I am going to have 58 and 40 coming my way. Grammar error

Yeah, sort of struggling whether I should get a zeiss too.

11-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #80
and
Veteran Member

Yeah, sort of struggling whether I should get a zeiss too.
I was thinking about the Zeiss 85 myself, I am assuming it will be optically the same as the Nikon version. The Sony versions seems to be different. Hard to say conclusively from tests using other systems, but seems to me the lens is really sharp, and very good wide open, considering the aperture. but the bokeh looked very harsh in many of the shots I saw, I dont know if its user error or what.

The 40 looks very nice, but looks like its going to cost about the same as the FA 43, I dont know if I can justify that, unless its REALLY good. The 58.... maybe.... If I get my planned lineup (eventually) of 21,31,43,50,70/77/85-100-etc then I might replace the FA 50 with the 58 if its better than the FA 50, since the FL fits better between, say, the 43 and 77. The FA 50 is not that great wide open so there is room for improvement there. But eventually the 58 would have to compete against the DA*55...

Its though competition between 30-100mm The 125 and 180 are easier to buy, Pentax doesnt have any current prime between 100mm and 200mm, and so far they are only planning a 200mm and which will probably be a lot more expensive and bigger than the VL 180.
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I was thinking about the Zeiss 85 myself, I am assuming it will be optically the same as the Nikon version. The Sony versions seems to be different. Hard to say conclusively from tests using other systems, but seems to me the lens is really sharp, and very good wide open, considering the aperture. but the bokeh looked very harsh in many of the shots I saw, I dont know if its user error or what.
I saw Zeiss on ebay and on a few internet stores charging quite a bit in fact. To be honest, I have not heard good stories regarding zeiss 85mm at all except from the people who do not own the lens.

I am always keen to find out what A* 85mm f1.4 is like myself.

The 40 looks very nice, but looks like its going to cost about the same as the FA 43, I dont know if I can justify that, unless its REALLY good.
Well, I was just keen to see what 40mm would be like since it was quoted in another form as optically similar to sumicron 50mm f2 - superb image. So it sounds quite interesting in deed.

I have been waiting for Da* 55 for too long (same as many pentax users for sure).
12-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #82
and
Veteran Member

Photozone has reviewed the 40 for Nikon here
Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 II (Nikon mount) - Photozone Review / Test Report

They will review the 58 very soon.
Taking the Nikon vs Pentax differences into account, it should still be evident that it will thrash the FA 43 at f2 vs f1.9 but at f2.8 and especially the record breaking f4, you cant really get better than the FA43 and you would need a higher MP camera to pick a winner since the sensor would be limiting the max output of both.

conclusion, well considering the FA43 costs marginally more and has AF, and the DA40 costs less, I think I wont be getting the ultron 40... even tho it seems a very nice lens, its just a matter of strong competition. I wish theyd rather put out something more unusual. Like a 100mm f2 or something else we dont have.

12-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Thanks, Andrea. My copy is arriving in January since 58mm release is delayed. I am keen to see the bokeh of 40mm. Will post a few after getting the lens.

plus a close up filter as well. Might play around with it
12-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #84
Veteran Member

NOt sure how I missed this thread but holy moly!! those shots are amazing. I have to read all 6 pages and maybe think about another lens purchase
12-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
NOt sure how I missed this thread but holy moly!! those shots are amazing. I have to read all 6 pages and maybe think about another lens purchase
I definately agree.

I have just purchased the 125 and the 180 through the marketplace on these forums. From what I have seen I am very impressed. The colors and sharpness portrayed are fantastic. Now my only challenge is to find something to shoot worthy of the lenses.

While I have yet to really use a manual focus lense - I dont think I will really mind it. Does anyone have any tips out there or is it mearly something I need to get use to? Also, should I bother with a UV Filter for protection or will it just hurt the IQ.

I'll be posting some images soon, well providing there is something to shoot, otherwise you'll just get pictures of voightlander boxes :-) . I'll have off all christmas to new years so hopefully I will give them a nice test run.

Odd feeling knowing the lenses I own cost more than the camera. The only other items on my LBA list are the Bigma (probably in the summer for some nice nature/beach/surfing photography) and maybe a long 300 DA*.
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #86
and
Veteran Member

I dont use UV filters on any of my lenses, I have the metal hoods on them at all times so if the 125 hits something then it will hit the hood and not the glass unless its very long and pointy. ppl have different opinions on this, I dont use them.

MF, I use a split prism focusing screen and that deffinetley helps but also creates problems with metering for slow lenses, the 180 is slow eanough to have metering problems with my screen. Also the splt prism is darker so indoors with f4 lenses its quite dim to focus with. its still possible to focus without, make sure your diopter is set correctly and have a go at it. you can use the focus confirmation dots too, they will light up when they think the lens is in focus.

The 125 is great as a lens in general, I dont do macro that often, but I use the 125 all the time, lately mostly for portraits.
12-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #87
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah so Chris, you must be the guy that bought the Voigtlander lenses I saw being sold by the guy named Sven. Congrats & enjoy. Hoping to see some additions when you get'm.

When I was buying my D-SLR, I heard from the 1st knowledgeable salesman I ever spoke to that the lenses are where you want to sink the money, paying many times what the body costs should not be unusual. But coming from a salesman, I couldn't help but be 'skeptical'. But having heard and read it now echo'ed countless times from so many other unrelated sources, as well as seeing results through lenses I personally owned and used, priced @ $100 (used) for a 300mm zoom, vs priced @ 25x that for a 300mm f/2.8 prime... it's not hogwash.

Spend a little more (probably, as the DA* 300mm f/4 $ is unknown) then you would on buying the Bigma plus DA* 300mm f/4 together and just buy the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 + a 1.4x and 2x TCs today... (ok, ignoring that you won't have wider then 300mm covered this way )
12-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #88

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

The lenses came today. I just tried the 125 out briefly before I had to leave/get ready for a family party. While I must say - I need to get use to the manual focusing, but it wasnt to difficult. The lenses left a good impression, in perfect condition, heavier than my others but with a very solid feel. I hope it will be sunny outside so I can really put it to use in good lighting, for now the best subject I found was a christmas cactus near the window.

12-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #89
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great to hear and see. great colors. Enjoy. I found when getting real close [macro range] with that focal length, handheld is tough; monopod, tripod, or resting the camera on something will yield more keepers. (nothing to do w/voigtlander)
12-22-2007, 03:39 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
M80, I think the confusion regarding the 'new' 40 and the existing one thats out is that the new ones are 'SLII' instead of just SL. They are 'chipped' now to work with digital cameras, like the Lanthars do. If I understand the point of this correctly, they previously acted like 'K's instead of 'A's.
For the Pentax mount lenses, both the SL and newer SLII operate as A lenses (PKA mounts). The chip for the SLII relates specifically to for Nikon mount. The newer SLII differ on the lens exterior only. Optically, the 40mm has not changed.

CHIIF CAMERAS - Ultron 40mm/f2 SL II