Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok! I ordered one! It is a magic lens!

Ok, ok... I caved!!! I bought one!! The bad part is that I am now looking at the 180 too!!! Oh!

The Voigtländer has the same sharpness as the Kiron 105 f/2.8. (I am selling mine right now.) But there is another quality that isn't just sharpness, or bokeh... It is something more- a quality that cannot be measured but clearly seen in a photograph. It is something mysterious, almost spooky. It is a magic lens.

Here it is!!

Sample shot: (no PP - just resized)

Check this out! Not 100%, but 200% crop from above image!

01-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Congrats, Tom, on your new acquisition. The 200% crop is impressive.
This lens is so good. Don't forget to try it for distant pictures, with difficult lighting, even against the sun, and you will be amazed. Just like I am every time I use it.

Cheers!

Abbazz
01-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Congrats, Tom, on your new acquisition. The 200% crop is impressive.
This lens is so good. Don't forget to try it for distant pictures, with difficult lighting, even against the sun, and you will be amazed. Just like I am every time I use it.

Cheers!

Abbazz
That was very true. It takes highlights very well and always impressed each time using this lens
01-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #94

Very happy with the 125mm APO-Lanthar. Should be a great tool to work with.

02-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #95
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To revive a wonderful old thread... loads of appreciation after this weekend.
I got carried away and posted 28 images in a thread on this board here... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/20578-my-first-trip-plan...6k-warned.html
There's even a 'few' more of the series at the Fotki site than that. Some goodies. A few excerpts:

02-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #96
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Very nice photos, I just popped over and enjoyed the others as well. My favs here were 2,3 and 6, though 3 almost looks like one of the bugs from Starship troopers, heh. I've shot a bunch of 180 recently, perhaps I'll contribute myself. Furthermore, I'm waiting to take delivery of the 58mm this week and look forward to putting it through its paces!
02-16-2008, 10:07 AM   #97
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got my 58 yesterday. Took a few shots at work, messed with the contrast/vignette in lightroom.

The second image of the measure, if observed closely exhibits some noticeable CA. The Nokton shows it a lot more than the Lanthars, but then again, they aren't as fast and have APO glass.

Sharpness seemed a little bit tough to capture at 1.4 as well, but as you can see from the 3rd (jacket) pic, it can definately deliver. Not sure if my hands were a little shakier than normal, but the contrasty areas seemed to bleed a lot (also apparent in the 2nd image).

My initial impression is that this lens isn't as special as the Lanthars in performance, though all the quality is still there, and then some. The focus seems perfectly damped and the outer ring - metal in the past is now coated with a grippy rubber skin - awesome feel. In all fairness, this lens can go where the Lanthars never did with its speed, and thats exactly where I took it, so its a bit of an apples/oranges thing to campare the two. Now I will take the Nokton out into the light and give it a fair trial.

02-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The second image of the measure, if observed closely exhibits some noticeable CA.
I cannot see it, probably because the image is too small, but one should note that CAs are only CAs when they appear within the DoF.
Color fringes in out-of-focus areas are basically unavoidable.
02-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #99

Got my 58 yesterday. Took a few shots at work, messed with the contrast/vignette in lightroom.
For whatever reason, every time I see samples of the 58, even if it's just messing around, I just LIKE the images. Thanks for posting.
02-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #100
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I cannot see it, probably because the image is too small, but one should note that CAs are only CAs when they appear within the DoF.
Color fringes in out-of-focus areas are basically unavoidable.
Exploded view of the area in question for reference. As you say, its not really a bother at practical viewing distances, but nonetheless present. As far as being in or out of DoF - I didn't know there was rules Admittedly, I come at this from a non-scientific stand-point. I wonder if people such as myself starting out today aren't a little spoiled by the general quality of glass?

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
For whatever reason, every time I see samples of the 58, even if it's just messing around, I just LIKE the images. Thanks for posting.
Glad it helped! I should qualify my intial impression to say that while I feel the 58 isn't as special as the Lanthars (sa far) I still like it too I'm going to give it a run against the Pentax DA 55 when the time comes though, the door is still open.
02-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Exploded view of the area in question for reference.
Looks pretty good to me.
My Ultron shows good CA behaviour, too.
In Close-up work you can sometimes use these fringes as reference for perfect focus.
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #102
Veteran Member

No CA to my eyes either. The greenish hue is creamy smooth bokeh rendered in the imag rather than CA. Voigtlander 125mm macro really has no issues with Ca
02-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by twinda1 Quote
Agreed. It has similar image quality to the 125mm, which I'm insanely happy with. I've got the DA 50/1.4, but the 58mm is really tempting...
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #104

Has anyone heard rumors of such luminaries as the 28mm f1.9 Ultron being released in the new SLII format? Be a nice bit of competition to the 31mm Limited.
02-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #105
Forum Member

Hello,

I have a Tamron 90mm macro 1:1 but I'd like to get a higher focal lenght for macro pics of insects. The Voigtlander 180mm seems interesting, but its macro ratio is 1:4.

I was wondering if anybody has tried the Voigtlander 180mm with extension tubes. Should I expect equally good performance of the lens by adding extension tubes ??

Thanks,

David