Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback folks More notes:

- I have a B+W circular polarizer on the 180 almost permanently as being a relatively slow lens, its almost always an outside only lens (for me).

- I swapped a Hoya Pro-1 circular polarizer between the 58 and 125 for the other shots.

- I was a little more aggressive with the black on the 180 shot in PS but it also appeared a hair more polarized than the shots taken with the 58 to start with. Whether thats the lens or the filter or the angle... can't say right now I wasn't really noticing at the time. I can say that naked Lanthar skies tend to look quite rich to begin with in my experience.

- All shots were handheld. The mountains were a 3 shot +/- 1 bracket, HDR merged in PS, unsharp masked and warmed with a 20% sepia treatment (excluding skies). I smart selected, layered and levelled the sunlit snow seperately from the onset to preserve details from getting blown out while balancing shadow light. They were then exported to Lightroom where contrast was further enhanced and blues brightened to bring out the shadowed snow a little more.

- The ice shot was a single image, also handheld (I took a lot like this, more at www/flickr.com/kellysereda if you're curious). Started with fairly drastic contrast, fill lighting and added vignetting in Lightroom, then went to PS where the in-focus portion was selectively lightened and unsharp masked against the background, which was seperately darkened to highlight and enhance overall contrast.

- I think the appearance of the incorrect pixels is down to my use of unsharp mask. I noticed some whites and blacks when using it beginning to appear, but I liked the overall feeling of clarity. I should be so lucky to have pixels go now and get my K20 for free! hehe.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 02-24-2008 at 10:48 AM.
02-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #122
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
The Lanthar 180mm
[snip]
The Nokton 58mm
[snip]
ooohhh, Fractals!

Beautiful photos. So much better then a sharpness chart and brick wall to get the point across...
02-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #123
Veteran Member

I can say that naked Lanthar skies tend to look quite rich to begin with in my experience.
I've noticed that too, it's very nice. Maybe it'll save me some polarizer cash.

The more I use this lens, the more I love it. I bought it to upgrade from my SMC-M 200mm f/4, and as sharp as the 200/4 was, this Voigt is sharper, has a bit higher contrast, and does a bit better with skies (colors in general), CA, and bokeh.

Makes me want to chase down the rest of the still-available Voigtlander lineup...

Here are some test snapsots taken yest & today, all handheld, with minimal to no PP - use zoom icon to see detail. I'd be interested in hearing about suggested PP, I'm very green in that art.

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - voigtlander_1...

02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #124
Forum Member

I'm again impressed by the pics taken with the 180mm !

If i decide to buy it, would you suggest me to buy also the original lens hood ? I could get the LH-75S for 70$... I feel it is a little bit expensive... is there any advantage of getting this one instead of a generic plastic or metal hood on ebay ? Anybody has a pic of the LH-75S ?

Thank you,

David

02-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I'm again impressed by the pics taken with the 180mm !

If i decide to buy it, would you suggest me to buy also the original lens hood ? I could get the LH-75S for 70$... I feel it is a little bit expensive... is there any advantage of getting this one instead of a generic plastic or metal hood on ebay ? Anybody has a pic of the LH-75S ?

Thank you,

David

I bought the original lens hood with the lens from cameraquest for $69. It is a bit expensive, but I wanted something that went with the lens, since I plan to keep it and use it for years. It is a very nice metal hood, very stylish, but not too big. There's a metal 'cap' for the hood itself, also, which slides on nicely and keeps you from having to use the lens cap. I'm storing it in my bag and on the camera with the hood & hood cap attached, it's very sturdy and compact, but effective. I'd suggest springing for the hood also if you're going to buy the lens.

If I get around to it I'll post photos of it.

This is a very nice lens to use - very satisfying look & feel, and extremely sharp. I'm finding it easy to find focus quickly. One of the best purchases I've made lately :^)

02-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #126
Veteran Member

At the end of the album I posted some handhelds of the lens, hood in pkg, and hood on lens. It stores so nicely with the hood and hood cap on that that's how I'll be keeping it in my bag/shelf.

02-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #127
Forum Member

Thank you !

02-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #128
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The lense shades for the lanthars are bayonet mounted, a little departure from the norm. While they are of good construction and seem worth the extra $, I have a fairly compact travel set-up myself that doesn't allow me to keep them on, hence I've been shooting without them. The included metal screw cover is actually very reassuring from my perspective. Depending on how you travel your kit, you may not need them.
02-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Some may recall previously that (especially) the 125mm needs to be turned back in a touch from full retraction to focus properly at infinity. The 180 and 58 less so, but I found that a fly's breath worth of turning back in helps the sharpness with them too.
I fixed mine when I first got it back in 2002, it's not too difficult to do really, so long as you have access to a good JIS crosspoint screwdriver that fits. The three black screws holding the chrome ring allow the infinity point to be set, they are accessible after removing the mount.

02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I bought the original lens hood with the lens from cameraquest for $69. It is a bit expensive, but I wanted something that went with the lens, since I plan to keep it and use it for years. It is a very nice metal hood, very stylish, but not too big. There's a metal 'cap' for the hood itself, also, which slides on nicely and keeps you from having to use the lens cap.
Metal cap, really? I lost the push on rubber cap that came with the V125 some years back and it has been cap-less ever since. Does the cap for the add on hood fit on the standard V125 hood?

Cheers,
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Metal cap, really? I lost the push on rubber cap that came with the V125 some years back and it has been cap-less ever since. Does the cap for the add on hood fit on the standard V125 hood?
Nope. The cap on the 180mm hood is round while the one on the 125mm is squarish.

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I initially tried to order the 180mm APO-Lanthar SL from B&H, because they had a '7-10 day' backorder blurb up, which I thought was reasonable - after someone in this forum warned me, I did more investigation, eventually getting a sales manager on the line who admitted it might be more like 6 weeks. I canceled, ordered from Cameraquest, and had it appear at my door 4 bus. days later.

I do hand it to B&H for being honest about it. I've ordered several lenses from them and have always been happy with quality and speed to ship, so I'll order from them again, but for the Voigtlanders, go with Cameraquest.

And I think you'd better hurry if you want the 180 Lanthar SL, I don't think he has many left for PKA mount.

When you look at where the prices for good used glass is going, it's a great deal to get a brand new, 'A' chipped, optically modern design with beautiful Super-Takumar-like build quality for $399! My 30 year old SMC 85mm can't be replaced for less than $350 - $500 now, for Pete's sake.

02-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #133
Forum Member

I just purchased a 180mm APO-Lanthar SL PKA from Cameraquest few minutes ago... with the lens hood. It should be great !
02-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #134
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I fixed mine when I first got it back in 2002, it's not too difficult to do really, so long as you have access to a good JIS crosspoint screwdriver that fits. The three black screws holding the chrome ring allow the infinity point to be set, they are accessible after removing the mount.
Just the thought of doing this makes me nervous. You make it sound so easy... I'm afraid I'll try. If the 'problem' persists on the K20 (assuming it will as the body is the same) I might ask how to remove the bayonet collar too and give it a shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by David07 Quote
I just purchased a 180mm APO-Lanthar SL PKA from Cameraquest few minutes ago... with the lens hood. It should be great !
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It is my default standard '200mm', enough so that the new Pentax 200 doesn't even give me LBA (and for a third the price, w00t)

K.
02-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #135
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

At the end of the album I posted some handhelds of the lens, hood in pkg, and hood on lens. It stores so nicely with the hood and hood cap on that that's how I'll be keeping it in my bag/shelf.

Hi Jay, somehow I missed rest of the album before, I really like #26 for its perspective and detail. Nice and clean shot - Picasa Web Albums - Jay - voigtlander_1... It has that telephoto effect in its images while still managing a comfortable FoV the 180... a gentle tele. Not short, not long. I really like the 125 for this sort of shot as well, maybe even a hair more.

These lenses are really a great investment... I'm not sure why more folks haven't caught on to them. Its good for us I guess!

K.