Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 696 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a problem with this idea (Zeiss and Voigtländer are both manufactured by Cosina) but I would like to point out that there is already a thread on Zeiss lenses: Zeiss ZK

And as to Leica (R), there is even a 'club': https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/80029-leica-lens-club.html

Perhaps a merge would be a good solution?

07-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #587
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I don't have a problem with this idea (Zeiss and Voigtländer are both manufactured by Cosina) but I would like to point out that there is already a thread on Zeiss lenses: Zeiss ZK

And as to Leica (R), there is even a 'club': https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/80029-leica-lens-club.html

Perhaps a merge would be a good solution?
Actually I first suggested a merger, but the OPs of the individual threads didn't respond, and PF staff seems reluctant to do that without their permission (even this thread's OP is no longer active here, and has sold off all his Pentax equipment). The Zeiss threads started in the "Lens Club" and "SLR Lens Discussion" areas unnecessarily split the types between ZK and M42 lenses (the ZK thread hasn't had a post since 4/2010), and those who can afford Leica lenses naturally seems to limit participation (though I'd love for Leica R to be included here myself).

The thing is, micro-distinquishing between all the types of lenses can end in not much participation in a thread; I was hoping enough of us shared an interest in the kind of IQ you get from Voigtlander and Zeiss/Contax that it would fit right into our interests here, and keep a nice participatory discussion going.

Also, it isn't necessarily a negative thing for there to also be individual threads for people who don't care anything about any other variety of lens but M42, or Leica, etc. If the theme here is along the lines of IQ rather than exact brand names, then I think we might benefit from exploring that.
07-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
Actually I first suggested a merger, but the OPs of the individual threads didn't respond, and PF staff seems reluctant to do that without their permission (even this thread's OP is no longer active here, and has sold off all his Pentax equipment). The Zeiss threads started in the "Lens Club" and "SLR Lens Discussion" areas unnecessarily split the types between ZK and M42 lenses (the ZK thread hasn't had a post since 4/2010), and those who can afford Leica lenses naturally seems to limit participation (though I'd love for Leica R to be included here myself).

The thing is, micro-distinquishing between all the types of lenses can end in not much participation in a thread; I was hoping enough of us shared an interest in the kind of IQ you get from Voigtlander and Zeiss/Contax that it would fit right into our interests here, and keep a nice participatory discussion going.

Also, it isn't necessarily a negative thing for there to also be individual threads for people who don't care anything about any other variety of lens but M42, or Leica, etc. If the theme here is along the lines of IQ rather than exact brand names, then I think we might benefit from exploring that.
The highlighted section above is a real danger and the most important aspect of any 'club' - active participation. If no-one is participating / posting then there's little point in having separate 'clubs'.

By keeping VL, Zeiss, Leica and Contax 'clubs' in one thread (all lenses that would/could appeal to those interested in one or the other of the manufacturers) then there is a far greater chance of a lively .. and informative ... debate / exchange of information on those lenses on Pentax cameras.
07-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The highlighted section above is a real danger and the most important aspect of any 'club' - active participation. If no-one is participating / posting then there's little point in having separate 'clubs'.

By keeping VL, Zeiss, Leica and Contax 'clubs' in one thread (all lenses that would/could appeal to those interested in one or the other of the manufacturers) then there is a far greater chance of a lively .. and informative ... debate / exchange of information on those lenses on Pentax cameras.
Indeed. Hence my suggestion to merge the current threads/clubs.
But as Les indicated, the administration seems uncomfortable in doing so.
(Which is a bit strange since this thread and the thread on Zeiss ZK were started by the same person - Kelly.)
Perhaps a link in the original post could be a nice compromise.

07-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #590
Forum Member

As far as I know, all Voigtländer lenses for Pentax have been PKA mount and act like A - lenses. They have all the functionality you need for metering in whatever mode you chose.
'Chipped' is for Nikon mount lenses where the SLI versions act like Ai-S lenses and can only be used in Aperture priority or Manual. No Shutter priority here since you have to set the aperture with the ring on the lens. The chipped SLII lenses act like Ai-P where you get all metering modes available.
Right, at least both of my SLI lenses behave exactly as the SLII lenses.

The one possible exception is that the SLI lenses I have (VL75 and VL180) seem to over-expose more than the SLII lenses. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I want to test in a controlled setting using all three metering modes, and all the VL lenses.
Sorry for the late response, I don't get much time these days to play around online.

Very good hands-on info. Thanks for clearing it up. I wonder why over on CameraQuest.com he mentions the chipping as if the SLI versions don't/won't meter correctly in matrix mode. Puzzling or just a way to grab and extra $50 out of us?

Voigtlander SL II Lenses

Again very helpful to read the real world hands-on results.

On to something else but to my eye these Voightlanders seem a tad more able to render shadow detail than my Amigos (31, 43, 77). I've read the thread comparing the 75 to the 77-ltd and both look great but there looks to consistently render more of the shadow detail. I wonder though if with the proper exposure compensation or even 1/3-stop, or so, faster might yield a very similar result. I just sense lighting something I would be shooting would be easier with a couple Voightlanders.

I am trying to justify buying all the k-mount Voightlanders by using them on a new job. But the real winning feature I see is the usually much better CA. I love my limiteds, even the DA limiteds but there looks to be something I can't quite describe about these Voightlanders, so I am gonna probably have both. LBA don't cha know.

Edit - OK...I see it seems the CPU is indeed only added to the Nikon mounts. I just read this sentence I missed every previous visit:

QuoteQuote:
Initial manual focus SL II lens mounts are available in Nikon AIS mount (with matrix metering CPU) and Pentax KA lens
Now I see, I was just reading the ad info incorrectly. Thanks for making me look a bit more closely.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 07-27-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: added details
07-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #591
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
... But the real winning feature I see is the usually much better CA...
Three (four) of the Voigtländers are apochromatic, at least to some extend: 125mm > 180mm > 90mm SLI and SLII. That should account for some help here
07-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #592

QuoteQuote:
But the real winning feature I see is the usually much better CA.
This is not true for all VLs. E.g. VL 58/1.4 exhibits quite significant CA (maybe just Longitudinal CA) wide open. This was one of the reasons I finally sold this lens. It is not an issue for APO-Lanthars, I believe.

07-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
This is not true for all VLs. E.g. VL 58/1.4 exhibits quite significant CA (maybe just Longitudinal CA) wide open. This was one of the reasons I finally sold this lens. It is not an issue for APO-Lanthars, I believe.
Interesting . . .I haven't found longitudinal chromatic aberration a problem for the Nokton, though I noticed the Photozone review (on Nikon APS-C) mentions its presence in testing. But using the Nokton wide open isn't very practical for normal usage anyway; Photozone labels f1.4 its "weakest performance," while I see it as a way to impart a lovely dreamy effect to certain scenes I feel might benefit from that. Of course, from f2.8 onward the Nokton is amazing, and at f5.6 I think it might be the best lens I've ever seen . . . IOW I simply consider the VL58 an f2.8 lens with special effects capability.
07-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #594
Pentaxian

... Photozone labels f1.4 its "weakest performance," while I see it as a way to impart a lovely dreamy effect to certain scenes I feel might benefit from that. Of course, from f2.8 onward the Nokton is amazing, and at f5.6 I think it might be the best lens I've ever seen . . . IOW I simply consider the VL58 an f2.8 lens with special effects capability.
A very reasonable approach that is valid for most fast lenses, I believe.
And very nicely put, BTW
07-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #595
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaipa Quote
Please note my use of the word "usually" in my comment. I agree that a wide open 1.4 lens just might have some degree of CA. Most all really fast glass will have that happen. It's part of the risk-reward of the added effects you can get with lenses that are f/1.4 and faster. I love my A50/1.2 a bunch because it's a lens that does not do everything for you and makes me think about the shot. Fast glass = FUN even if you have have to deal with CA now and again.

In my research the 58/1.4 is an absolute keeper of a lens and it's the 3rd lens on my Voightlander buy list. First, of course is the 125/2.5 (yeah, right) then the 90/3.5 then a tie with the 75/2.5 or the 58/1.4. I doubt I would buy the 40mm because I love my 43-limited so much then again if it is there to be bought I have been known to do silly things on impulse. After those it will be sort of whatever I find and likes.
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #596
Veteran Member

A very reasonable approach that is valid for most fast lenses, I believe.
And very nicely put, BTW
Thanks Bart. I agree that it seems to apply to most fast lenses.

Last edited by les3547; 07-27-2011 at 06:00 PM.
07-28-2011, 04:19 AM   #597
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snipenekkid Quote
...In my research the 58/1.4 is an absolute keeper of a lens and it's the 3rd lens on my Voightlander buy list. First, of course is the 125/2.5 (yeah, right)
A very good alternative for the Voigtländer 125mm is the Zeiss 100mm f2.0 Makro Planar. There are even people that prefer the Zeiss. I know a person from the forums who has both and he would indeed prefer the Voigtländer but only for the macro use. For general IQ, he judged both to be about equivalent.
Just a thought. The Zeiss should be easier to find. I know of an auction where a new one is on sale right now. Also for a hefty price but still cheaper than the Voigtländer that comes very rarely up for sale.
07-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #598
Forum Member

except the Sigma 50/1.4 which is really totally usable wide open already.
08-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #599
Veteran Member

Any of you guys have an opinion on these (IQ wise) ? I want to buy higher quality lenses without spending a fortune (don't we all !) and these are going locally :

Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 28/2.8 (PK mount) : US$520
Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 35 2.8 (PK Mount) : US$400
Contax Zeiss P 85 / F 1.4 MMJ : US$600
LEICA R 35-70/3.5 E60 (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
Contax Zeiss 35-70 zoom / 3.4 Macro : US$300
Leica R 100 4 Macro (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
LEICA R 24 2.8 (with hood) (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$530

Sorry for the list but opinions valued !
08-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Any of you guys have an opinion on these (IQ wise) ? I want to buy higher quality lenses without spending a fortune (don't we all !) and these are going locally :

Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 28/2.8 (PK mount) : US$520
Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 35 2.8 (PK Mount) : US$400
Contax Zeiss P 85 / F 1.4 MMJ : US$600
LEICA R 35-70/3.5 E60 (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
Contax Zeiss 35-70 zoom / 3.4 Macro : US$300
Leica R 100 4 Macro (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
LEICA R 24 2.8 (with hood) (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$530

Sorry for the list but opinions valued !
If you can wait a few more days, I and another member here are doing a shootout between the Contax-Zeiss 28/2.8 and the Pentax FA31 LTD. I've been working on it for the last week, just finished the photo end of it today. Briefly though, I'm liking it.