Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #196
TKH
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
My trick with Nokton using f1.4 is to manual focus from shortest focusing distance to infinity. As soon as the screen turns clear, that would be the spot to take a shot.
Btw, do you use a split screen?
I just bought a used one of this kind: Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax *istD K10D - eBay (item 350028453309 end time Jun-19-08 23:05:13 PDT)

I now wonder if this screen will match good with the Nokton...

Best,
Rainer

06-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Voigtlander 125 LBA post

I'm new here. . . it appears that whenever a member gets a new Voigtlander lens, the first images are supposed to be posted in this thread.

Anyway, here are first shots from a Voigtlander 125:

An iris in the front yard. I kid you not, this is my first shot with this lens. This is definitely a fun way to get into the macro zone

User Photo Gallery - Macro

Darn good at infinity too (link to 100% crop), although I still adore the less bulky M135/3.5

User Photo Gallery - Miscellaneous

I'm really impressed with this lens. What next. . . maybe the 180? Time to hit the "Want To Buy" thread. . .
06-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #198
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
Darn good at infinity too (link to 100% crop), although I still adore the less bulky M135/3.5
. . .
Welcome! I think you might get better res off the VL at infinity by ticking back the focus adjustment slightly from fully retracted. Took my a couple days to notice this trait, but it gives a big boost in optimum resolution there.
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Welcome! I think you might get better res off the VL at infinity by ticking back the focus adjustment slightly from fully retracted. Took my a couple days to notice this trait, but it gives a big boost in optimum resolution there.
Assuming of course it's not adjusted not to even manage to focus to infinity, in any case it's easy to remedy. The focus adjustment can be accessed directly underneath the mount (outside three screws in the image below):

06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip!

I just did a few very-far-away-wide-open tests and the lens is reproducibly sharpest just a hair away from the infinity stop.

I'm actually relieved. . . for a moment I was afraid the stop was set "too close" instead of "too far". . .
06-07-2008, 04:32 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Btw, do you use a split screen?
I just bought a used one of this kind: Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax *istD K10D - eBay (item 350028453309 end time Jun-19-08 23:05:13 PDT)

I now wonder if this screen will match good with the Nokton...

Best,
Rainer
Yeah, I disliked it. It is still easier if I manual focus myself since only one hand is needed to adjust the focus ring.

I think using split screen with aperture larger than f2.8 is quite unreliable...
06-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Spring is finally blossoming in Western Canada

I'll test the Makro-Planar's mettle against this mighty bokeh to see if - like the T*25 and FA31 before them - they can co-exist or if one will evict the other from my bag.
That really does it for me. I am going to experiment the shots using Nokton like you did.

That is so soft and beautiful.

06-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Here is the Voigtlander 125 macro on non-macro object.

06-07-2008, 04:36 AM   #204
Veteran Member

06-07-2008, 04:38 AM   #205
Veteran Member

06-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #206
Veteran Member

06-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #207
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The 125? Very nice. I've become a bokeh convert. I used to read MTF data and practically ignore user images when researching lenses as photographer quality and PP skew the field, but there are some qualities you just can't fix... magic bokeh being primary among them to me.

That spider is hideous though (pics fine ) ... one good thing about living in Canada is the bugs never get big enough to alarm me, they freeze to death long before that as winter rolls around. Except for June bugs... but they're rare in my parts.
06-07-2008, 11:58 PM   #208
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
Assuming of course it's not adjusted not to even manage to focus to infinity, in any case it's easy to remedy. The focus adjustment can be accessed directly underneath the mount (outside three screws in the image below):...
Thanks for sharing this. I have a Distagon T*25 that has been away on repair for an infinity adjustment for going on two months now. If it comes back any less than perfect, I will be contacting you for fine points on this, if you don't mind.
06-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #209

amazing lens

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
Thanks for the tip!

I just did a few very-far-away-wide-open tests and the lens is reproducibly sharpest just a hair away from the infinity stop.

I'm actually relieved. . . for a moment I was afraid the stop was set "too close" instead of "too far". . .
So it can focus PAST INFINITY! That's good!!
06-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #210
Inactive Account

As usual James - great pictures! This lens is making me a Bokeh-holic!

Here is one (from many) I took in the garden today.