Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 603 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I usually have no interest in fisheye scenes, but like this one.
Thanks!

It's a nice lens and has less drastic perspective distortion than other fisheyes:

Last edited by Laurentiu Cristofor; 03-23-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed image url
03-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Laurentiu, aren't these cropped at all?
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Laurentiu, aren't these cropped at all?
They are not cropped and I did no correction, but check the horizon line - it's in the middle If I would have tilted the lens, I would have got a curved horizon like here:

The Samyang appears to have stereographic projection - see this link for a comparison with other projection modes (equisolid and equidistant, for example). As a result, distortion is milder towards the edges than for other fisheye lenses. Also see comments in lenstip and photozone reviews about these aspects. This is a differentiating feature for the Samyang fisheye.
03-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
this lens in the B&H online catalog had initially shown a different lens design than the 14mm Bower (samyang et. al.) I could not get a good answer on line from Ask B&H but in visiting the store and looking at the actual specifications it is the same as the standard Samyang lens 14 elements and 12 groups not 16/13 as initially posted.

What I like about this lens is that there is very little CA noticable in the shots, even wide open. It covers a full frame viewfinder with no visible vignetting (I will have shots next week from my PZ-1 as well.

You can see the distortion at the top and bottom of the frame, but this is easily corrected if you want to remove it
Lowell, thanks so much for finding this out. I too was interested in the Vivitar and found the B&H answer you received inconclusive. Was the Bower the exact same as well?

Another thing...have you attempted to do any distortion correction in Lightroom? I know the barrel distortion is easy to fix, but photozone mentions a mustache effect as well that I have no clue how to correct (at least with LR3).

Thanks for starting the club! If I don't get the 14mm, I expect I'll pick up the new 35mm 1.4!

03-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Lowell, thanks so much for finding this out. I too was interested in the Vivitar and found the B&H answer you received inconclusive. Was the Bower the exact same as well?

Another thing...have you attempted to do any distortion correction in Lightroom? I know the barrel distortion is easy to fix, but photozone mentions a mustache effect as well that I have no clue how to correct (at least with LR3).

Thanks for starting the club! If I don't get the 14mm, I expect I'll pick up the new 35mm 1.4!
the bower spec's out the same. What I intend to do at some point is take the vivitar I own and do a set of tests to calculate the FL. It might be that due to distortion differences between the FOV on full frame and digital that you can call this either 13 or 14 mm depending on how much of the frame you use for the measurement

As for distortion I use corel PSP and it also has barrel distortion correction but not mustash correction, at least directly, however with the distortion stretch etc, it might be possible. I think, however that the mustash distortion is a second order effect that is unlikely to be picked up unless you are using a ruler on a large print. My approach would be to leave just a little barrel distortion so that you do not see the mustash distortion, or if possible, apply different correction or distortion inside or outside a selection zone.
03-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
They are not cropped and I did no correction, but check the horizon line - it's in the middle If I would have tilted the lens, I would have got a curved horizon like here:

The Samyang appears to have stereographic projection - see this link for a comparison with other projection modes (equisolid and equidistant, for example). As a result, distortion is milder towards the edges than for other fisheye lenses. Also see comments in lenstip and photozone reviews about these aspects. This is a differentiating feature for the Samyang fisheye.
I love this shot - where did you go to get this vantage point?
03-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
I love this shot - where did you go to get this vantage point?
From the top of the building that you see a fragment of in the shot on the previous page - City Center Bldg, Bellevue, WA.

03-25-2011, 10:29 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
From the top of the building that you see a fragment of in the shot on the previous page - City Center Bldg, Bellevue, WA.
Thanks for the info! I live nearby but didn't know of any (public) high rises with a good high altitude vantage point...don't suppose you know of a location that overlooks the city from the west side with a view of the Cascades in the background Figure that would make for a sweet sunset shot...
03-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now for the really wide shot

Vivitar 13mmF2.8 from my PZ-1 full frame shot at 3200ISO
\
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

8mm, f/4, off-camera flash

Here's Johnny!
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

really cool shot Eggsalad
nicely done
03-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

03-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I like the Samyang 85:1.4 a lot. I have it as the Rokinon version. Here's an out-of-the-camera K100D jpg shot across the dining table (maybe 2 meters ?) wide open incandescent lighting (with a 100% crop to see detail quality). She looks the same in real life too! Notice the smooth rendering of the out-of-focus stuff in the background. This is a good social portrait lens I think.
04-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
got the 85mm f1.4 recently, here's some shot's i've managed with it

04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
8mm fisheye

Dutch coast line...