Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 603 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2016, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #736
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Early morning in Kasba Tadla, Morocco. Samyang 16mm f/2 on K-5 II, f/8, 1/15, ISO 100.

07-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #737
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Astrotracer shot of milky way using Samyang 10mm f/2.8.

Pixel shift image of moon over lake using Samyang 10mm f/2.8.

Both images are single exposure,
08-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #738
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's going to take me days to read all of the 50 pages of this lens club discussion thread, so I apologize if this question, or a very similar one has already been asked or answered here earlier....

I have read that all of the Sears lenses labeled "Made in Korea" were manufactured by Samyang. Is it reasonable to suspect that any other lenses from that time period, labeled "Made in Korea," were also manufactured by Samyang, or were there any other South Korean lens manufacturers of note who might have made some of them?

Part of the reason I wonder about this is that I have just gotten a Chinar 2.8/35mm lens. As some online images of Chinar boxes show, they were "distributed" by Chinon, but unlike "Chinon" labeled lenses, which were made in Japan, Chinars were made in Korea. Does that mean they were made by Samyang? Perhaps so, unless somebody else in Korea might have made them.

Who designed some of these lenses from the decades when Samyang wasn't selling its own lines of lenses, may be unanswerable. Vivitar has always claimed to have its own lens designers, Sears, probably not. Would Chinon have submitted designs for Chinars, or have only submitted certain design requirements? My Chinar's aperture ring turns in the opposite direction from similar Chinon 35mm lenses, but that might not mean that the glass component system isn't very similar.

Anyway, this home of Samyang lovers seemed to be the place to hunt for people with more historical info on Samyang's manufacturing and its relationship with other lens sellers it contracted with.

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 08-22-2016 at 07:56 AM.
08-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #739
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
It's going to take me days to read all of the 50 pages of this lens club discussion thread, so I apologize if this question, or a very similar one has already been asked or answered here earlier....

I have read that all of the Sears lenses labeled "Made in Korea" were manufactured by Samyang. Is it reasonable to suspect that any other lenses from that time period, labeled "Made in Korea," were also manufactured by Samyang, or were there any other South Korean lens manufacturers of note who might have made some of them?

Part of the reason I wonder about this is that I have just gotten a Chinar 2.8/35mm lens. As some online images of Chinar boxes show, they were "distributed" by Chinon, but unlike "Chinon" labeled lenses, which were made in Japan, Chinars were made in Korea. Does that mean they were made by Samyang? Perhaps so, unless somebody else in Korea might have made them.

Who designed some of these lenses from the decades when Samyang wasn't selling its own lines of lenses, may be unanswerable. Vivitar has always claimed to have its own lens designers, Sears, probably not. Would Chinon have submitted designs for Chinars, or have only submitted certain design requirements? My Chinar's aperture ring turns in the opposite direction from similar Chinon 35mm lenses, but that might not mean that the glass component system isn't very similar.

Anyway, this home of Samyang lovers seemed to be the place to hunt for people with more historical info on Samyang's manufacturing and its relationship with other lens sellers it contracted with.
Near as I can research theysell lenses under a lot of names. They started in 1972 with T-mount lenses and are now slowly making progress in longer focal length "fast" aperture lenses. They have released their 2 most popular lenses as Auto Focus for the Sony "A" mount.

08-31-2016, 04:18 AM   #740
Forum Member

So glad I found this group

Hi, I just purchased a Samyang 85mm for my K50!! Looking forward to learning more about using this lens here One question I have is about the aperture ring, When reading the very limited manual that came with the lense the instructions said to use AV with the switch on MF. I did that I was also watching some of the Youtube videos. Am I correct in assuming that you don't use the manual aperture ring on the lens? That it is done automatically with camera's dials. When I did try switching out of the "A" mode on the lens ring I get the " F-- error "
Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Kim
08-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #741
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
Hi, I just purchased a Samyang 85mm for my K50!! Looking forward to learning more about using this lens here One question I have is about the aperture ring, When reading the very limited manual that came with the lense the instructions said to use AV with the switch on MF. I did that I was also watching some of the Youtube videos. Am I correct in assuming that you don't use the manual aperture ring on the lens? That it is done automatically with camera's dials. When I did try switching out of the "A" mode on the lens ring I get the " F-- error "
Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Kim
I have this lens too, and it performs way over its pricing point. I think you will enjoy it. Mine is the Rokinon version that was sold to me by a Forum member at a very reasonable price.

Yes you are correct. On the K50, you never need to take then aperture ring out of the A setting. Apertures are set automatically in the automatic modes and with the camera dial when shooting in Manual mode. The F_____ is standard for all Pentax automatic aperture-type lens, and means the camera cannot detect the aperture setting.

The MF setting is for manual focus. This is not an Automatic Focus (AF) lens, so you keep the setting on MF for all shooting modes, not just for AF.

Hope this is helpful. I will look forward to seeing some of your postings with this lens. It is a great one for portraiture.
08-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #742
Forum Member

Thanks, Went out and did some shooting today. The manual focus is going to take some getting used to ! Here are a few of my first pics taken....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-31-2016, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #743
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
Thanks, Went out and did some shooting today. The manual focus is going to take some getting used to ! Here are a few of my first pics taken....
First shot is great, and second is not bad for lens wide open. Keep up the good work!
09-01-2016, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #744
Pentaxian

Tinghir, Southern Morocco. Samyang 16mm f/2, K-5 II, 1/45, f/4.5, ISO 200.

09-02-2016, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #745
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flowers with the 85/1.4

This is a nice lens for flowers, although you cannot move in as close as one might wish. It is capable of sharp details in foreground and great blurred backgrounds. Mine is Ronkinon brand version.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-03-2016, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #746
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Castle vinyard, 14mm

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-23-2017 at 07:42 AM.
10-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #747
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Couple of shots on a rainy day

K-7 and Rokinon 85mm f 1.4.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-06-2016, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #748
Pentaxian

Lake Erlaufsee, Lower Austria
Samyang 1:2.0 16mm ED AS UMC CS, K-5 II, stacked from 4 frames taken at f/2.8, 10 sec, ISO 1600

11-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #749
Pentaxian

FA28.2.8 AL
11-30-2016, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #750

M31 with the 135/2: 8x50s, 3600ISO, f/2

DeepSkyStacker is very complicated...