Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 530 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Lightmeter, can you show us some macro tilt pics? I'm interested in whether or not tilt is relevant for macro, how many degrees you use up to? (as opposed to shift which I was always told was the handier of the two wrt macr). When I tried tilt I found that I had to really tilt the lens massively -- too massively -- it meant I had to start using the worse periphery of the lens.
interesting ^ Look forward to seeing some shots

10-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's my latest, with a reversed el nikkor 50mm F/2.8 on bellows. 97 image stack of a adult female local species praying mantis

10-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's gorgeous, Tanner! The background color is perfect.
10-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #214

Lightmeter, can you show us some macro tilt pics? I'm interested in whether or not tilt is relevant for macro, how many degrees you use up to? (as opposed to shift which I was always told was the handier of the two wrt macr). When I tried tilt I found that I had to really tilt the lens massively -- too massively -- it meant I had to start using the worse periphery of the lens.
I don't have any taken with the 645, but here's some taken with my Nikon D300. The first map photo is with no tilt and the second tilted down, shot at the same aperture. You don't need to tilt much. At first I wondered why I couldn't get the DOF where I wanted it. Then realized I was tilting too much. The lens will tilt 8 degrees max. Just tilt 1 or 2 degrees at a time.

Tilting allowed me to get both flowers in focus.

10-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Lightmeter, very interesting and thank you for posting. Though, what I am really interested in is tilt and shift in the macro world. The brochure shot above is obviously tilt but not exactly macro =). I'd love to know what sort of degrees you're setting your tilt to when doing say 1-5x, and how effective you find it, especially to get those planes of focus extending away on micro subjects. I failed on my trials but I'd love to revisit this if it can be made to work =)
10-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #216
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Lightmeter, very interesting and thank you for posting. Though, what I am really interested in is tilt and shift in the macro world. The brochure shot above is obviously tilt but not exactly macro =). I'd love to know what sort of degrees you're setting your tilt to when doing say 1-5x, and how effective you find it, especially to get those planes of focus extending away on micro subjects. I failed on my trials but I'd love to revisit this if it can be made to work =)
I've done a bit of work in this area. I am away from it now but can give some simple equations and example soon.

I can tell you that stronger tilts are needed as mag gets high. I think I found about a 26 degree tilt is needed for a focal plane viewed at an angle on the order of about 45 degrees at 1:1... This is only an order of mag recollection.... I will get back with accurate numbers.

It does work and a whole (thin) macro plane can be put in focus.

I bought a nikon tilt-shift bellows to do it. A nice used ebay instrument for about $200e. nikon pb-4. Inexpensive DIY bellows mod is practical depending on original bellows detail.

Good on ebay now: (a couple of these are below $100 bid now. I'd sure buy one for that rather than DIY!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nikon-F-Bellows-Focusing-Attachment-PB-4-PLU...item4aafb74cbf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-PB-4-Bellows-Focusing-Attachment-/270835469870...item3f0f0d4e2e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-PB-4-Bellows-Focusing-Attatchment-MINT-/330625...item4cfad4e14a

I use adapters for lenses; nikon-lens/pentax-mount rear & enlarger-lens-m39/nikon-mount front; 80mm enlarger lens should focus to infinity.

Dave

Last edited by newarts; 10-19-2011 at 07:22 AM.
10-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #217
Veteran Member

That's really interesting, thanks Dave - now that I've finally got a proper micrometer enabled stage on its way that's something that really I need to take a better look at more carefully then. Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

- apologies for making this thread go on a bit of a tangent somewhat *slap self*

10-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #218
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That's gorgeous, Tanner! The background color is perfect.
Thanks Went for a new type of background on that one, trading in the bright and IN YOUR FACE colors I normally use for something more subtly complimentary
10-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #219
Inactive Account

That's really interesting, thanks Dave - now that I've finally got a proper micrometer enabled stage on its way that's something that really I need to take a better look at more carefully then. Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

- apologies for making this thread go on a bit of a tangent somewhat *slap self*
This diagram shows the setup rearranged for macros. I believe it to be correct:

For example, for a perspective photo of a tabletop at 45 degrees, tilt the camera axis to 45 (pointing straight down would be zero) - for a 1:1 magnification the lens tilt with respect to the camera axis needed is Atan(1/2 Tan 45) = 26.5. To get the magnification right you might put a ruler in the frame - ie. first set the angles then crank the camera up & down till the mag is right.

Hope this helps...
Dave
10-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apologies? It's that sort of stuff that makes this thread interesting (if, occasionally, incomprehensible ;~)
10-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Apologies? It's that sort of stuff that makes this thread interesting (if, occasionally, incomprehensible ;~)
I agree, but I also wear a moderator's hat and, erm, it's apparently naughty

Anyhow Dave thanks for posting that, the equation helps a lot. When you were doing this were you using big 645 lenses? Reason I ask is that I normally use elnikkor reversed nowadays, and a 26 degree tilt will mean I'm starting to use the less than great periphery of that lens. It's tiny. That was a problem with SMC-A/M/K lenses reversed too. That's what I put my chronically dire IQ down to, although of course it could have just been plain old incompetence too
10-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #222
Inactive Account

........ and a 26 degree tilt will mean I'm starting to use the less than great periphery of that lens. It's tiny. That was a problem with SMC-A/M/K lenses reversed too. That's wehat I put my chronically dire IQ down to, although of course it could have just been plain old incompetence too
That may be a problem for whatever lens you use because 26 degrees is at the edge of a normal image circle i think . Probably it is best to use less perspective.
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #223
Inactive Account

no math macro tilt!

'nuf said.. Works for non-macros too.

Last edited by newarts; 10-21-2011 at 09:43 AM.
10-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #224
Veteran Member

That's a great diagram
10-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #225
Inactive Account

That's a great diagram
Thanks. The simplicity of the geometry's procedure (which can be done in practice with only a straight edge or string) was hidden by the math.

Aren't pictures great?

Last edited by newarts; 10-21-2011 at 10:55 AM.