Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #31
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, delicately lit result jstevewhite.
Innovative way to set up your lighting.

05-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Will have to keep an eye out for one of those M-100. With my setup it's all manual anyway.

Only issue is if I set the lens at f11 to start it is really hard to focus since it gets dark in the viewfinder.

I've been working on a focus assist light

(Camping headlamp - ok the title is "By any means necessary" right?)

05-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Nice shot. Sounds like you are wishing for a macro superzoom

Show us your setup?
Yeah. I wish someone would just drop a super macro in my lap...

This works pretty wel at least for my kind of shooting but Im still dreaming of finding a good large format lens to use on bellows..

I skipped the extra Tokina Macro Extender and now I have only the Kiron but with my new made PK/A tube. So far I havnt noticed any IQ difference.
Pictures taken with a very old (8years) 3.2mp Olympus PaS.
The Flash Diffuser is a homemade cardboard thing with aluminum foile inside + 3 layers of plastic in the front.
Its big but it works really well.
Attached Images

05-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OK, Im curious as this might get me out a hole..
the first lens I ever bought after the kit lens was a Pentax M 100m F4 2:1 macro as the infamous flickr insect shots haver always inspired me..
I bought the lens of ebay, but think I fell for a fast one as Im sure the connector had broken and been glued on as it fell off when I tried to use extension tubes.
I tried glueing it, but it wasn't very stable so I took it off again as Im worried about damaging or blocking my mount.
Id resigned myself to splashing out for a pentax macro, but seeing this thread has inspired me..

I presumed the lens was borked, but now Im thinking is it possible to use this lens reversed? Would this work??
If I did what other lens should I be looking for on the bay to stack this with bearing in mind that most people seem to be reversing the shorter focal length lenses.
say I get a nifty fifty to try this would it work or do I need something wider?
Any help or ebay links to ideal lenses appreciated as Im still learning what lenses to use with my K20D
Dont mind spending a bit on some good manual glass as I was going to spend anyway on an D FA Macro, but it looks like I might get better results with this method..

Yay - Im all excited - a project

05-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian

@ aliasant - Cool setup, like that flash diffuser.

@ edgedemon - how about just test it reversed on the end of your kit lens and see if it works at any focal length? Time to break out the adhesive tape
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote

Yay - Im all excited - a project

That lens doesnt seem to have the mount at all?
That loose part that you tried to glue back isnt really necessary. The lens works just as good without it but not without the bayonet mount.
maybe you can post a couple of better images of that mount and maybe we can help you get it back together?
But maybe in another thread?
05-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Shorted controller on a Samsung F3 750GB hard drive taken with a K28 f/3.5 and a Pentax Reverse K adapter 52mm. Handheld with the K-5s liveview being extremely helpful.

05-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

Only issue is if I set the lens at f11 to start it is really hard to focus since it gets dark in the viewfinder.
F11 may be causing some softness so you might want to do some test shots at lower fstop for comparison.

At 1:1 mag f:11 on the lens barrel is actually f:22 as far as diffraction softening is concerned.

05-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Oops looks like you let the smoke escape out of that component there ^

Thanks newarts, will test with different settings next.
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster

05-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tanner,
Nice Alien there. Has the invasion begun already?

What setup did you use to take it?
05-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Red Wood Ant

Found this Red Wood Ant making himself (her?) pretty.

Shot with my Kiron 105 Macro + 50mm extensiontube (both with PK/A) and my homemade flashdiffuser.
Cropped about half.

05-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Tanner,
Nice Alien there. Has the invasion begun already?

What setup did you use to take it?
Just my normal reversed 50mm on extension tubes.
05-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is my first attempt on multiple fronts, so please don't laugh. Any pointers would be appreciated though.

Well as promised, here are my results of the friday night before last fun with extension tubes. I used 3 gutted 'A' teleconverters for a total of 75mm of extension and a Helios 44 silver 58mm f2. So thats about 1.44:1. With a slight crop the final image is more like 1.75:1. The Helios 44 is not the sharpest lens, though it seems sharp enough for ok results. This is also my first attempt at focus stacking using CombineZP. I used a total of 6 images in the stack.
I also played around with extension on my Pentax-A 50mm 1.4, A 35mm f2.8, Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, and even threw in the Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconverter for kicks. I'm actually more pleased with the results from the 50mm 1.4 with extension tubes but since for the most part I messed more with apurture on that lens and did not produce enough images to produce a 'stack' I decided to use what I had from the Helios. I'm going to continue to see what the A 35mm f2.8 can do on extension or possibly even reversed. I've found it to be much sharper then the A 28mm 2.8 so it may have the potential to produce some pretty impressive macro shots

Helios 44 silver (13blade) @F4 with 75mm extension. Stack of 6 images. Color, contrast, and Sharpening enhancement applied in Photoshop.
Name:  WaspSmall.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  137.4 KB
05-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

real quick here

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
That lens doesnt seem to have the mount at all?
That loose part that you tried to glue back isnt really necessary. The lens works just as good without it but not without the bayonet mount.
maybe you can post a couple of better images of that mount and maybe we can help you get it back together?
But maybe in another thread?
I don't want to botch (interupt) this thread before it gets started but- edgedemon, from the photo it looks like the k-mount is there, it's just missing the retaining ring around the mount as they are 2 seperate pcs. I have the same lens. Tried to put it on a camera?
AND aliasant is right, the piece that's broken doesn't really do anything except maybe being a "guard" to keep from bending the aperture lever.

Last edited by jonhock; 05-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.