Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
SMC Takumar 50/1.4, reversed, Spiratone Macro Bellows K, K5iis
Rivet hole -knife sheath
The hook side of Velcro
Bubble wrap
Edge of leather knife sheath
Excellent images and cool subjects. Makes me think of things to shoot.

---------- Post added 12-15-20 at 09:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I ordered another bit for my eventual wide-angle macro relay lens today. I found a great deal on a Fujinon 2.7mm f1.8 C-mount fisheye lens. The version I got is the fixed aperture 1.8 one, rather than the manual aperture version, which is more expensive. I'd come across references to this lens before, and in the course of my searches, came across this thread on mflenses.com. According to poster of the mflenses forum member, this Fujinon had been used in a security camera called the Axis 212. Searching e-bay under the name of the camera yielded sales for the camera or lens that were priced much lower than searches using the lens name itself, which were often of the manual iris version. On top of that, putting one of my search results on my watch list resulted in the seller offering me a discount the next day! SOLD!

People using this lens on the Pentax Q, and here, and on m43 cameras were getting good results, so I'm hoping I will get better results from this Fujinon than I would have from the cheaper M12 mount board lenses I'd been considering. It's going to be bigger, so trickier to light when used for macro, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Congratulations! Love this lens. Had a difficult time removing the lens from the security camera. Apparently some have the lens "glued" in. Finally using WD40 and heat and cold it came loose - but it was a struggle. Totally worth it.

Here is a question about macro relay lenses. Is there an advantage to this setup with all the reversed lenses, tubes, etc to put it on an APS-c or FF camera vs putting it on the Q? Obviously the larger formats should have greater image quality, but will they, after going thru 2 lenses and extension tubes? I shot a similar photo below with a Pentax Q7. With a focal lenth of 2.7mm it doesn't take much extension to get very close to the subject. The lens was merely unscrewed from the C mount adapter about 1.5 -2 mm. The spider is on a white wall which turns totally curvy. Similar view to relay lens photos.

Thanks,
barondla

12-16-2020, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #572
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SMC Takumar 50/1.4, reversed, Spiratone Macro Bellows K, K5iis
Rivet hole -knife sheath
The hook side of Velcro
Bubble wrap
Edge of leather knife sheath
...a practical and convenient method for telling apart top grain, full grain and "genuine" leather
12-16-2020, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fruit flavored German hard candy.
K5iis, Spiratone Macrobel, Reversed SMC Takumar 50/1.4 @ f11
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #574
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

Congratulations! Love this lens. Had a difficult time removing the lens from the security camera. Apparently some have the lens "glued" in. Finally using WD40 and heat and cold it came loose - but it was a struggle. Totally worth it.

Here is a question about macro relay lenses. Is there an advantage to this setup with all the reversed lenses, tubes, etc to put it on an APS-c or FF camera vs putting it on the Q? Obviously the larger formats should have greater image quality, but will they, after going thru 2 lenses and extension tubes? I shot a similar photo below with a Pentax Q7. With a focal lenth of 2.7mm it doesn't take much extension to get very close to the subject. The lens was merely unscrewed from the C mount adapter about 1.5 -2 mm. The spider is on a white wall which turns totally curvy. Similar view to relay lens photos.

Thanks,
barondla
In removing the lens from the security camera, hope you you approached it cautiously and covered the front of the lens during the removal process. Many of these security cameras are installed with remote recording sites. :>

12-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #575
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, the main advantage of the smaller sensor for extreme macro is that you can get the same apparent magnification (in the final image, not reproduction ratio on the sensor itself) with a greater working distance. Given the tiny working distances typical of extreme macro, this can be very helpful.
12-16-2020, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #576
Pentaxian

Thanks,
barondla
I'm looking forward to playing with it. There are two ways of setting up to try: Fujinon>reversed w/a lens> extension>camera, and Fujinon>Raynoxes>Tamron 90 2.8> extension> camera. I'm wondering if a reversed cine lens might work in one of these relays, too. I'll try it for both circular and frame-filling images: I'm guessing the former requires less extension/magnification than the latter, both of which would make for a slightly smaller set-up. focusing and composing with a dim(?), inverted image will be challenging! I'll try it for non-macro shooting, too.

From what I've read and seen, relay rigs like this are not for pixel-peeping results, but it should still be fun to play with. I've got an actual Q fisheye and a cine D-mount 6mm f1.9 lens I can try, too. If it gives me unique, interesting images, I'll be happy. Assuming I can put all of these parts together to produce something that actually works!

Last edited by Thagomizer; 12-16-2020 at 09:38 PM.
12-18-2020, 01:12 PM - 4 Likes   #577
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funjinar-E 50mm f/4.5 enlarging lens m39 to m42 adapter, Takumar bellows

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by steamloco76; 12-18-2020 at 07:36 PM.
12-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funjinar-E 50mm f/3.5 enlarging lens m39 to m42 adapter, Takumar bellows
Creative subject. Makes a viewer take a 2nd look. Well done.
Thanks,
barondla
12-20-2020, 08:08 AM - 4 Likes   #579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reversed SMC-A 35/f2 @ f11
Pentax 49mm Reverse Adapter-K, Pentax K5iis, Remote release, Neweer macro focusing rail. Lens 'hood' made of a push-on rear cap with the center cut out and inside painted flat black.
Images cropped about 50%.
Probably the easiest, most cost effective way to greater than life-size macro image magnification.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #580
Pentaxian

Pentax 49mm Reverse Adapter-K, Pentax K5iis, Remote release, Neweer macro focusing rail. Lens 'hood' made of a push-on rear cap with the center cut out and inside painted flat black.
Probably the easiest, most cost effective way to greater than life-size macro image magnification.
Just WOW! And thank you for the information on how to achieve results like this!
Best.
12-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Charlie Victor Quote
Just WOW! And thank you for the information on how to achieve results like this!
Best.
I experimented with several wide angle lenses reversed. Super Takumar 28 & 35 f3.5, Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus and the SMC-A 35/2. Only the SMC-A 35/2 had a front element flat enough that it didn’t cause reflections off the K-5iis sensor. Both Takumars were totally unusable reversed and the Vivitar was nearly as bad. Reflections totally washed-out the image centers. Film isn’t highly reflective like a glass covered digital sensor, so these are modern era issues.
12-20-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #582
Pentaxian

I experimented with several wide angle lenses reversed. Super Takumar 28 & 35 f3.5, Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus and the SMC-A 35/2. Only the SMC-A 35/2 had a front element flat enough that it didn’t cause reflections off the K-5iis sensor. Both Takumars were totally unusable reversed and the Vivitar was nearly as bad. Reflections totally washed-out the image centers. Film isn’t highly reflective like a glass covered digital sensor, so these are modern era issues.
The Tamron 90mm f 2.5 52B/BB are both supposed to be prone to sensor reflection problems in backlit situations because their rear elemnts are flat. I would have thought a flat front element would have the same result on a reversed lens, reflecting the shine of the sensor back onto the sensor itself.

---------- Post added 12-20-20 at 08:04 PM ----------

It's interesting how machined surfaces don't look quite so perfect when seen in close-up!
12-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb macros. The Varta battery is something I hadn't considered for a subject. Very creative and well done.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #584
Pentaxian

Funjinar-E 50mm f/4.5 enlarging lens m39 to m42 adapter, Takumar bellows
I really like this shot. Very well done. It would make a great poster.
06-15-2021, 11:06 AM - 2 Likes   #585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frankenstein

Last edited by Fdooch; 07-27-2021 at 06:48 AM.