Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 530 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
the plastic tab broken off only protects the aperture lever. the lens will work fine without i.

05-15-2011, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
some of you might find this interesting/informational

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1440...ison-imgs.html

and an image to add to the thread:

05-16-2011, 12:17 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great thread!

Here is couple shots taken with full set of extension tubes and reversed 50mm. I used Sigma EM-140 ring flash with homemade diffuser in all of these photos.

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)
05-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #49
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic work Tanner and Joni.
You two are head-to-head as extreme macro maestros!

05-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #50

Nice to see this thread. I use K200D with M 50/1.7 or M 40-80 or cosina 28/2.8 and extension tube set. Old AF160 flash with tinfoil reflector gives me some light.

You should look this guy using pentax: Thomas Shahan

Last edited by LeGuillotine; 05-16-2011 at 07:29 AM.
05-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Holy smoke, great macro shots, leguillotine and Nitrox. Special thanks to yeatzee for this thread.
I tried out just for curiosity With my M 135 and taped M 50/1.4 reversed(don't have rings yet) on it. I'm suprised. I Have to do more tests and get my self a flash.

Hope you don't mind if I join in.

05-16-2011, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Proof of Concept - Eyepiece Projection

Some fabulous pictures posted here! I am afraid I can never compete with those, but here is a set-up that might interest some because it offers high magnification at a comfortable working distance:

This is my set-up: An S-M-C Takumar 35 mm f/3.5, a homemade M42-T2 adapter, a Carton eypiece projection adapter (for 24.5 mm astronomical eyepieces - modified to accept 1.25" eypieces), a Plossl 9 mm eyepiece, a T2 adapter for PK and my K200D. The eyepiece travels fort and back when the silver ring is rotated and thus, both changes projection distances - and thereby magnification - and serves as a fine-focusing aid. The projection distance and magnification can be further varied by adding extension tubes at the camera end of the set-up.

And here's what I can get at various working distances (distances from object to sensor plane).

At 41 cm working distance:

As you can see, I have chosen a ruler back-lit by my PC monitor as test object and the result:

About 18 mm fills out my sensor, which is 23.5 mm wide. Thus, I have a magnification ratio of M = 1.3 : 1

Let's move closer. Working distance = 36 cm:

13 mm occupies sensor - M = 1.8 : 1

And final example here. Working distance = 29 cm:

8 mm occupies sensor - M = 2.9 : 1

And of course, I can get closer than that before my lens hits the object......

I hope, you will forgive me this somewhat tedious example, but it is the best way I can illustrate my point: It is possible to achieve large magnification ratios at very convenient working distances!

You can read a bit more about the "theory" behind eypiece projection and also see some other, earlier test set-ups/designs here:

Extreme Macro Using Eyepiece Projection

05-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots all of the above!
Thanks for the setup pics Stone and sample results, it's getting the wheels turning for me.
05-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #54
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazing detail Stone.
Amazing sharpness you've gotten out of your setup.
Exemplary.
05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Here's an example shot with a prior flash kit - I bought some fiber optic cable and made a light conduit that went from Metz to a diffuser near the lens. It was shot using an ancient 100mm f4 macro. The fiber optic worked, but was too bulky, and I went back to the big lumiquest diffuser on my Metz. I can't wait to try this rig out. Thinking about making a foil-lined cardboard tube to get the built-in flash closer to the diffuser.
That is one amazing shot!
05-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That is one amazing shot!
Thanks, JohnBee. I looked through some of the shots I took with that old 100mm and I wish I still had it. I haven't been able to reproduce that DOF and IQ since:

*sigh*
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #57

You do awesome job guys! I'm just n00b here. I started practising macro stuff year ago. Here is some more. Last one is one of my first acceptable try.

LeGuillotine
05-17-2011, 12:15 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
You do awesome job guys! I'm just n00b here. I started practising macro stuff year ago. Here is some more. Last one is one of my first acceptable try.

LeGuillotine
I love it when they do this
05-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Some fabulous pictures posted here! I am afraid I can never compete with those, but here is a set-up that might interest some because it offers high magnification at a comfortable working distance:

This is my set-up: An S-M-C Takumar 35 mm f/3.5, a homemade M42-T2 adapter, a Carton eypiece projection adapter (for 24.5 mm astronomical eyepieces - modified to accept 1.25" eypieces), a Plossl 9 mm eyepiece, a T2 adapter for PK and my K200D. The eyepiece travels fort and back when the silver ring is rotated and thus, both changes projection distances - and thereby magnification - and serves as a fine-focusing aid. The projection distance and magnification can be further varied by adding extension tubes at the camera end of the set-up.

And here's what I can get at various working distances (distances from object to sensor plane).

At 41 cm working distance:

As you can see, I have chosen a ruler back-lit by my PC monitor as test object and the result:

About 18 mm fills out my sensor, which is 23.5 mm wide. Thus, I have a magnification ratio of M = 1.3 : 1

Let's move closer. Working distance = 36 cm:

13 mm occupies sensor - M = 1.8 : 1

And final example here. Working distance = 29 cm:

8 mm occupies sensor - M = 2.9 : 1

And of course, I can get closer than that before my lens hits the object......

I hope, you will forgive me this somewhat tedious example, but it is the best way I can illustrate my point: It is possible to achieve large magnification ratios at very convenient working distances!

You can read a bit more about the "theory" behind eypiece projection and also see some other, earlier test set-ups/designs here:

Extreme Macro Using Eyepiece Projection
I wonder what would happen if you reversed the lens
05-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Great thread!

Here is couple shots taken with full set of extension tubes and reversed 50mm. I used Sigma EM-140 ring flash with homemade diffuser in all of these photos.

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)

(Click to view bigger)
A ring flash really suites your style

Its funny, I've passed up the opportunity to shoot an identical crab spider to the one in your last shot several times. I didn't think the background would come out well so i just left it. You make me regret this! Though who knows, it could still be in the same place