Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 530 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now that the insect season is prettymuch at an end in England, I've been playing a little with cross polarisation macro shots. Cross polarisation is where you have polarising film over the lens and a polariser - it cuts out reflections and means you're photographing into the subject.

Quite fun - this was 5mm wide at its top but I angled it so that you're only seeing a 2mm width. On a shot with a polariser but no polarising film you're still seeing a huge light reflection, but none on this. The flash was pointed more or less directly towards the face you're seeing, I've made (yet another) new setup which is working out quite well for me.

11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #227
Veteran Member

This worked ok. hardest bug I could think of in terms of flash reflection.

11-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #228

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Nice depth in the wing casings. They look translucent.
11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #229
Veteran Member

Thx!

Same bug without xpol, I think I prefer that actually

Last edited by Nass; 05-08-2017 at 08:20 AM.
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #230
Pentaxian

I prefer latter too. More A live like. great shot.
12-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now this is cool
12-21-2011, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thomas Shahan has been mentioned in other posts about extreme macro photography here. He is featured in this weeks Flickr blog as he has been published in National Geographic magazine.
Thomas Shahan’s Spiders in National Geographic

He uses a K-x with reversed lenses on extension tubes to get his shots. Thomas, if you are a member here, congrats!

12-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Thomas Shahan has been mentioned in other posts about extreme macro photography here. He is featured in this weeks Flickr blog as he has been published in National Geographic magazine.
Thomas Shahan’s Spiders in National Geographic

He uses a K-x with reversed lenses on extension tubes to get his shots. Thomas, if you are a member here, congrats!

My dream right there.

FWIW Thomas is not a member unless he's joined amidst my absense. Also those images were taken with the lowly K200d, but he now uses a K-x
12-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #234
Veteran Member

These are some variations I shot yesterday. The subject isn't the most interesting but that wasn't the point of the exercise, which was about playing with some different diffuser setups, light angles and backgrounds. I figure that if I can get control and satisfaction over those 3 during the months when there are no insects then that should set me up to be able to do ok once the bugs are around.

The light setup is a smallHD field monitor with PC output showing a photoshop gradient. This works ok although there are colour temperature problems especially when using the 3100K Jansjo lights. Getting light right to the very front is still a problem because the working distance lens <==> model doesn't give you the clearance to point a flash that way. I'm looking for various kitchen containers to make a diffuser that I think will solve it but so far no luck, they tend to be the wrong type of plastic or coloured. I tried a pingpong ball but that's making my stuff really yellow. In terms of PP, Topaz detail, NoiseNinja and CS3 seems to be giving me what I need. Topaz is especially useful.

The stacks are all of 30 or so, so not especially deep. I have a newport but the connection pieces to cam and tripod are custom creations and the guy I spoke to is trying to fleece me for a lot of money - so I'm looking for an alternate supplier.

01-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #235
Veteran Member

This is the eye of a dead fruitfly with a dead cheap noname microscope lens off my son's microscope:

~15 SOOC shots stacked, sharpness set to zero and no PP.

Last edited by Nass; 01-06-2012 at 03:41 AM.
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #236
Pentaxian

This is with a microscope lens:

~15 SOOC shots stacked, sharpness set to zero and no PP.
WOW thats close and really sharp! Previous set is really nice too.
01-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what kind of objective Nass?

I'd love to shoot with my objective again but the pentax M42-microscope adapter I've been borrowing is no longer in my possession:ugh:
01-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #238
Veteran Member

A really cheap and nasty noname 10x... really just to test to see what it's like =). Tricky as hell without a micrometer stage. Got myself a little insect examination stage (a needle thing to mount it on), lord it makes things easier. This is a really crappy stack with just 7 shots. Yay!

01-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've always used styrofoam cups as my wrap around diffusers, cutting a slot in them for the vertical holder to slide in/out
01-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #240
Pentaxian

A really cheap and nasty noname 10x... really just to test to see what it's like =). Tricky as hell without a micrometer stage. Got myself a little insect examination stage (a needle thing to mount it on), lord it makes things easier. This is a really crappy stack with just 7 shots. Yay!
Now! this looks awesome!