Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2849 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6878dodge Quote

does the the split focusing screen cause any problem for the auto focus?
None that I have noticed.

04-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this one is an f/2 Thank you.
Beautiful shot.
04-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #168
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Shooting wide open was a huge PIA with my K-x. Same lenses on the K-30 are a breeze because of the focus peaking. The issue is the stupidly narrow depth of field makes focusing very, very difficult.

One way I used to compensate with the K-x was by using catch-focus. Its not perfect, but it'll help boost your keeper rate nicely. I'm not sure what to say about the bloom, my M 1.4 doesn't seem to exhibit it (or doesn't enough that I've noticed). Depending on what you're trying to do, bloom isn't always a bad thing, and should be able to be banished by stopping down a bit.

I found with the 1.4 that while you can get some amazing shots at 1.4, its best trait is the fact that by dropping down to f/2 or so you can get some blisteringly sharp shots that will beat out an f/2 lens, and as you keep stopping down things just get sharper. It really is a well built lens, probably one of the best out there. As far as I know the A and M are basically the same thing only one has the contacts added, so you should be golden as far as comparisons go between the two.

I don't know if the K20D allows you to zoom in via the live view screen (I went digital with the K-x). If you can, try zooming in by X2 or X4 and shooting via that and see if that helps focus.

Another trick I discovered by pure accident is to get a pair of reading glasses (not prescription, regular off-the-shelf glasses). Something bit he hell out of my leg, and I didn't associate the huge spider welts on my leg with my eyes sudden;y going a bit funky, so I went out and bought a couple pairs of 1.50x reading glasses to compensate, and I found that shooting with the K-30 improved for me quite a bit while wearing them. My eyes have gone back to behaving themselves, but I've hung on to the glasses because they still help in difficult focus situations.

If you still have a lot of trouble with the 1.4's, you could also sell them both, and pick up an autofocus 50 with the proceeds. I think the DA 50 1.8 sells for around $240.
I just tried the live view focusing technique, I hadn't even thought to try it but I'm very grateful for your advice, it works a treat! thank you!! and yes, you can zoom in on the k20d (in live view) :-)
04-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #169
Veteran Member

I just tried the live view focusing technique, I hadn't even thought to try it but I'm very grateful for your advice, it works a treat! thank you!! and yes, you can zoom in on the k20d (in live view) :-)
Recently added an F50 1.7 to my two manual focus versions. Liking the "new" lens a lot (purchased from a fellow member here!) Both below shot at f2

Daff | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pew Hues | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by StephenHampshire; 04-19-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: embedded images not showing
04-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #170
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Daff
Great shot, looks like you could be using this new F1.7 a lot more when you get results like that.
04-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #171
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Recently added an F50 1.7 to my two manual focus versions. Liking the "new" lens a lot (purchased from a fellow member here!) Both below shot at f2

Pew Hues | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I Really like this picture, I can almost smell the woody earthy old church smell, it's great!
04-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #172
Veteran Member

FA50/2.8 Macro; I have several 50mm range lenses to choose from, but have decided to try using this lens as my carry around 50.
b&w of my Blacksmithing tools

04-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #173
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I can almost smell the woody earthy old church smell
I know exactly what you mean, isn't strange how one sense can trigger the thought of another.
04-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a lovely set of pictures, Stephen. What camera did you use with the flower shot?
04-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #175
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I know exactly what you mean, isn't strange how one sense can trigger the thought of another.
Hey Kerrowdown, I have been meaning to ask you... there's a stone bridge in the Lochness area that crosses a river with a small stone cottage on the bank a bit down stream, I wanted to take some pics of it when I was there but never had the chance, you wouldn't have taken some by any chance? it's a really nice view. cheers.
04-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #176
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Kerrowdown, I have been meaning to ask you...
Not quite sure where you are, any you any more info or clues for me, so I work it out and post up an image for you.
04-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is certainly a nice image, I tried a K-01 I really didn't like the rubber memory card & I/O cover. I would have preferred an actual sealed and hinged door for that, not a piece of rubber held in there by nothing more substantial than optimism.
That flimsy rubber door and flimsy metal card cover is maybe my least favorite thing about the K-01. What I like most are the high quality images it catches, along with focus peaking.,
04-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #178
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Not quite sure where you are, any you any more info or clues for me, so I work it out and post up an image for you.
I couldn't tell you to be honest, I thought it was coming into the township before Urqhart castle, I may be mistaken though I did a pretty whirlwind trip through Scotland.. Awesome landscape, love the dark water & the huge rolling hills (mountains) not to mention the eirieness. will have to look through my slides to see if I can find the image.
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #179
Veteran Member

I Really like this picture, I can almost smell the woody earthy old church smell, it's great!
Thank you. I'm glad no-one else came in and found me lying on the floor of the aisle!
04-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #180
Forum Member

Haha nice work!, I did exactly the same thing (lay on the floor) tonight in my partners shop trying to get the right bokeh (3rd pic) I must say I had a few odd looks from people haha. here's some shots from tonight, The first one is my daughter in a pillow lined mini shopping trolley :-) kids are so hard to photograph!
K20d A50 f1.4 @1.4
Attached Images

Last edited by 6878dodge; 04-21-2013 at 01:14 AM.