Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,903
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
besides, I don't buy lenses based on some dust rumor, I buy lenses that suit my needs. And I don't believe in pixie dust anyway, I believe certain lenses render certain way and certain photographers are gifted enough to take advantage of it. But that's it....
Wow, that's sad. It's just like a kid growing up and losing their belief in the magic of Christmas and Santa Claus. I swear you once believed in the magic before you sold your soul to the... Oops, I mean before you sold your 43 and 77 for the DA 55 :ugh: .

05-27-2011, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member
hcarvalhoalves's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 837
To me, both the Helios 44 and 58 are magical.


helios 58\2 por r_risus, no Flickr (Credits to the original author)

Love the dreamy bokeh it produces, and at the same time are surprisingly sharp even wide open. There's also the curiosity factor, as those lenses are soviet knock-offs of Zeiss' designs.

I'm after those Helios myself, but haven't found a decent M42 adapter yet. Any recommendations?
05-27-2011, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
To me, both the Helios 44 and 58 are magical.
I've got one of those. Does that mean I can join the Pixie Dust Lens Club, or do I have to get "jumped in" or something?


05-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Pentaxian
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,042
Original Poster
Lovely shots from Helios lenses here, will really have to get one of these. Sigh, LBA pulls my chain again.

05-27-2011, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I'm after those Helios myself, but haven't found a decent M42 adapter yet. Any recommendations?
Definitely the official adapter made by Pentax. The price seems to oscillate, but I bought mine from B&H a few months ago for 20 bucks. There are plenty of even cheaper alternatives available on ebay, but the official first-party one is so much easier to use.
05-27-2011, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #21
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 19
This one was my 1st photo taken with the 70mm DA wide open
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,042
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeeves2011 Quote
This one was my 1st photo taken with the 70mm DA wide open
I have had the da70 for 4 years now but it still never ceases to amaze to this day. Look how it tames that background yet renders the boy so sharply that he appears 3d. Perhaps thats what pixie dust is.
05-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
This one?
77 wide open-


05-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,042
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
This one?
77 wide open-
Most certainly! Amazing how similar in output they are.
05-28-2011, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #25
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 19
Another one this time with the 43mm FA 1.9 ltd again wide open, just amazed as to how sharp this is at 1.9!!. The only problem atm is that the lens front focuses in low light may be the k-5 but 70mm is bang on focus both in low light and outdoors
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
axl
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Wow, that's sad. It's just like a kid growing up and losing their belief in the magic of Christmas and Santa Claus. I swear you once believed in the magic before you sold your soul to the... Oops, I mean before you sold your 43 and 77 for the DA 55 :ugh: .
It might be sad but it's reality. Exactly as in the example you gave. Call me uncle Scrooge but...

The 55 was logical move on my part. The amount of changes between 43 and 77 drove me nuts as did constant wishing for faster f stop. I don't regret this move at all. The 55 just suits me better. Having said that, I still maintain FA Ltds (all 3) are some of the best glass I've had the pleasure to shoot with, and while I don't believe in pixie dust I know if those 2 lenses are in hands of great photographers (I respectfully discount myself from that group but if you need convincing just look at shots TOUGEFC and DEADWOLFBONES are posting in FA ltd club) the will deliver top shelf images...but, as I said before I saw pics with those lenses that could have been shot by one use 35mm paper cameras with plastic lens and you wouldn't tell them apart. That's why I don't like the idea of pixie dust. If it does exisit, it's not on lenses but on fingertips and eyes of some folks, some of whom to our delight keep posting on these forums...
05-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
Just posted this over at the Soviet lens club... whaddaya think? I dig this lens:


05-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
It might be sad but it's reality. Exactly as in the example you gave. Call me uncle Scrooge but...

The 55 was logical move on my part. The amount of changes between 43 and 77 drove me nuts as did constant wishing for faster f stop. I don't regret this move at all. The 55 just suits me better. Having said that, I still maintain FA Ltds (all 3) are some of the best glass I've had the pleasure to shoot with, and while I don't believe in pixie dust I know if those 2 lenses are in hands of great photographers (I respectfully discount myself from that group but if you need convincing just look at shots TOUGEFC and DEADWOLFBONES are posting in FA ltd club) the will deliver top shelf images...but, as I said before I saw pics with those lenses that could have been shot by one use 35mm paper cameras with plastic lens and you wouldn't tell them apart. That's why I don't like the idea of pixie dust. If it does exisit, it's not on lenses but on fingertips and eyes of some folks, some of whom to our delight keep posting on these forums...
And a smart move at that, the 55 FOV is perfect fit between 43 and 77. If there is one lens that could replace the 43+77, its the DA*55 IMO. From samples ive seen it has a very 43 rendering look about it, again IMO.

Thanks for the reference too by the way
05-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian
selar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,042
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
No dust in my photo
Yeah, none, but moderate quantities of ni-sen bokeh are present.
05-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Yeah, none, but moderate quantities of ni-sen bokeh are present.
Thanks for makin' me look that up!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, club, dust, lens, pentax lens, photo, pixie, poster
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Official Pentax Forums "Pixie Dust" Lens List Winnie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 10-24-2016 03:52 AM
Pixie Dust yusuf Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 529 06-03-2011 10:10 PM
HowTo: Replace the first lens group in the 31 with that of the 77! Double pixie dust! feilb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 04-01-2011 10:31 AM
Rendering and Pixie Dust GlennG Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 65 02-06-2011 02:21 PM
dust on sensor or dust on lens 41ants Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 10-08-2009 10:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top