Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Another test shot, this time with Voigtlander 180/4 SL APO Lanthar @ f4 :

09-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suppose that it is obvious why this lens is unique : Soligor C/D Wide-Auto 20mm f:2.8

11-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
SMC-M 50/2

Amazing clarity and color.
12-10-2012, 01:36 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Inactive Account

I don't know WHAT it is about my Hanimex 50mm but when it's wide open...

Pentax KX DSLR.

Pentax KX 35mm SLR.

o_O

12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CapricornusCaptures Quote
I don't know WHAT it is about my Hanimex 50mm but when it's wide open...
Very cool shots
07-11-2013, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

So.. Pixie dust is just luck that you got everything perfect in camera... mmmm I don´t buy it. Post processing allows to recover / restore / highlight the rendering of a lens
07-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I certainly have lenses that are full of the stuff, I just need to go back and read those strict rules again.

07-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am melting

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I suppose that it is obvious why this lens is unique : Soligor C/D Wide-Auto 20mm f:2.8

Love the trippy oof area of this lens... I have a few like it and it can sometimes overpower the shot... but when it works it is something to behold... Plus the 'Purists' hate it... makes me love it more.
03-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

For me, the soft and gentle appearance that this lens imbued on the subject a delicacy that is etherial.

The shallow depth of field and painterly bokeh add to the timeless quality of the image.

This image is untouched in photoshop and is as it came from the camera, this old m42 manual cheap as chips piece of glass tends to underexpose so that's what you see here and I make no apology for this. I see it as adding to the mystery of the image.

Or am I just daft for thinking this image is any good lol.

As your dying to know, this is a rebadged photax lens manufactured some time in the 1960s a 135 f3.5 cooke triplet design that was seen in its day as the dregs and as worthless as they come.

I snared it for £7.69 on ebay all in, with a full set of macro rings attached so I guess it cost me £4, about 6 dollars. It had been cruelly wrecked in the past by some fool who stripped and reassembled it wrongly so it wouldn't focus properly if it ever had done, and infinity focus was a lost cause.

I totally stripped all the elements, cleaned and reassembled it on a park bench to get it to perform as intended by whoever created it. The image I posted here was taken 2 minutes after re reassembly as a test of success or failure, you judge which.

I love cooke triplets

Last edited by Imageman; 07-18-2014 at 08:26 PM.
07-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
For me, the soft and gentle appearance that this lens imbued on the subject a delicacy that is etherial.

The shallow depth of field and painterly bokeh add to the timeless quality of the image.

This image is untouched in photoshop and is as it came from the camera, this old m42 manual cheap as chips piece of glass tends to underexpose so that's what you see here and I make no apology for this. I see it as adding to the mystery of the image.

Or am I just daft for thinking this image is any good lol.

As your dying to know, this is a rebadged photax lens manufactured some time in the 1960s a 135 f3.5 cooke triplet design that was seen in its day as the dregs and as worthless as they come.

I snared it for £7.69 on ebay all in, with a full set of macro rings attached so I guess it cost me £4, about 6 dollars. It had been cruelly wrecked in the past by some fool who stripped and reassembled it wrongly so it wouldn't focus properly if it ever had done, and infinity focus was a lost cause.

I totally stripped all the elements, cleaned and reassembled it on a park bench to get it to perform as intended by whoever created it. The image I posted here was taken 2 minutes after re reassembly as a test of success or failure, you judge which.

I love cooke triplets
Cant see any photo in your post Imageman
07-23-2014, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Ill slam another in then taken with this cheapo load of rubbish lens that I love.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA SD15  Photo 
07-23-2014, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are the first test shots that I took with the FA43 after I purchased it in late March this year. They are at F2 and completely SOOC jpegs, just resized in irfanview and saved at 90%. They obviously weren't taken with care, but they screamed pixie faerie rendering to me at first chimping and thereafter. The experience was more striking to me than any of my first FA31 or FA77 test shots when I got those lenses. That's not to say I haven't noticed plenty of sprinkles from those lenses, but of the three lenses, the FA43 has the most unique rendering to my eye. (FA31 is still my favorite lens, but probably just because I've had it longer and used it a lot more). I was immediately glad that I broke down and got it (FA43) after having put it off as long as I could (thinking that I had the focal length covered by FA50). It was definitely the cherry on top acquisition of the three amigos.
07-23-2014, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

I've got some interesting photos with my HD DA35ltd like this one:

It helped the subject stand out of the background without any special trick, and it happened @ f/2.8 and f/4!
I was very nice to me. Thought maybe it can be count as pixie dust!?
07-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #44
Veteran Member

In my book it sure does count as pixie dust.
11-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I'm not quite sure what happened in this shot, but the end result was all the more chilling. Same lens. There's an example of a lens doing something unexpected....its not a crop BTW
Pixie dust on a croc's snout! What a neat shot!