Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax Shift 28mm f:3.5.

Do any of you have this lens? I just acquired one today, but have never used one before. It has three built-in filters, a Y48(Y2), a Skylight and an O56(O2) that is installed by turning a ring and they swing into place. It also has provisions for gelatin filters behind the rear element. The lens looks almost new, with only a very few wear marks and one very small ding. The glass is flawless.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.
02-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Do any of you have this lens? I just acquired one today, but have never used one before. It has three built-in filters, a Y48(Y2), a Skylight and an O56(O2) that is installed by turning a ring and they swing into place. It also has provisions for gelatin filters behind the rear element. The lens looks almost new, with only a very few wear marks and one very small ding. The glass is flawless.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
I have had one for several years. It of course is not as wide on a cropped sensor. The filters are only useful with film, they really do nothing for digital. You really need to shoot it stopped way down. f8 is still a bit wide open, f11 and beyond helps. It is a sharp lens. Here is the manual for it.You can shoot stitched panoramas with it pretty easily. You can also shoot around the clock. You shift it over 11 mm, then shoot an image at each clock position as well as one in the center. Then stitch them all together. You can use Microsoft ICE - its a free download.

There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing you how to use it - in terms of the shifting and rotation.

02-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have had one for several years. It of course is not as wide on a cropped sensor. The filters are only useful with film, they really do nothing for digital. You really need to shoot it stopped way down. f8 is still a bit wide open, f11 and beyond helps. It is a sharp lens. Here is the manual for it.You can shoot stitched panoramas with it pretty easily. You can also shoot around the clock. You shift it over 11 mm, then shoot an image at each clock position as well as one in the center. Then stitch them all together. You can use Microsoft ICE - its a free download.

There are a couple of videos on Youtube showing you how to use it - in terms of the shifting and rotation.

Thanks, IO. I installed in on my K-50 and took a couple of shots in the front yard, stopped down to f:8. It was extremely sharp.... much more so than I had expected. It also displayed a little 3-D effect, also. I'm anxious to try it on some architecture soon. A very "different" lens, to be sure.
03-01-2015, 08:04 AM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice score Dewman.

03-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #275
Pentaxian

XR Rikenon 28mm f/2.8
03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
XR Rikenon 28mm f/2.8
Nice picture Simon ... This thread reminds me that I recently shoot with FA 28mm f2.8:

04-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So.... speaking of the Pentax-M 28mm, f:3.5 lens.

I have a SMC Pentax-M 28mm f:2.8, but I've not been all that impressed with it. I had a chance to do some horse trading and I've got a Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5 coming. According to the reviews here on the forum, it should be an improvement over the f:2.8. We'll see. Any of you have any comments on the two?

04-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I have a SMC Pentax-M 28mm f:2.8, but I've not been all that impressed with it. I had a chance to do some horse trading and I've got a Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5 coming. According to the reviews here on the forum, it should be an improvement over the f:2.8. We'll see. Any of you have any comments on the two?
I haven't used the 28 3.5, though I want to try one sometime...

I've had two SMC 28mm 2.8 - one was the M version (v1) and the other was an A. I wan't too excited about either one, and after I bought the Rikenon XR 28mm 2.8 my quest for a 28mm lens ended (well, until I can afford the K 28mm f2). The Rikenon was far ahead of the Pentax, especially wide open. Both Pentax lenses ended up being sold...
04-15-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I haven't used the 28 3.5, though I want to try one sometime...

I've had two SMC 28mm 2.8 - one was the M version (v1) and the other was an A. I wan't too excited about either one, and after I bought the Rikenon XR 28mm 2.8 my quest for a 28mm lens ended (well, until I can afford the K 28mm f2). The Rikenon was far ahead of the Pentax, especially wide open. Both Pentax lenses ended up being sold...

I have several 28mm lenses of various brands.... Pentax, Ricoh, Vivitar, Sears & CPC.... and my best is a Sears f:2.8 macro, far and away better than the rest. That's one of the reasons I'm anxious to get my hands on the "new" f:3.5 lens, so I can see if it beats out my trusty old $13.00 Sears lens. To do so, it's got it's work cut out for it! Here's a shot I took a couple of years ago using the Sears lens.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:55 PM.
04-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sears 28mm Macro

Dewman, it is nice to see your comments and your fine example from the Sears 28mm Macro.

I just received a Sears 28mm f2.8 Macro, hoping it would be a nice copy as it was described by the seller. It was in very bad shape, so I got my money refunded, but we agreed I should keep the lens since it was worthless as it was. This lens was badly fogged. Someone had tried to clean some fungus, and left the aperture sticky and the glass coated with residue. One of the elements was reversed so it would not properly focus until I reversed the element. I was able to clean most, but not all, of the fog. Unfortunately, the fungus has etched along the edges of one element, but the lens is now functional. It would be nice to have a clean copy of this lens to see what it can REALLY do!

Some examples with it mounted on my K5:

-Joe-
04-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Dewman, it is nice to see your comments and your fine example from the Sears 28mm Macro.

I just received a Sears 28mm f2.8 Macro, hoping it would be a nice copy as it was described by the seller. It was in very bad shape, so I got my money refunded, but we agreed I should keep the lens since it was worthless as it was. This lens was badly fogged. Someone had tried to clean some fungus, and left the aperture sticky and the glass coated with residue. One of the elements was reversed so it would not properly focus until I reversed the element. I was able to clean most, but not all, of the fog. Unfortunately, the fungus has etched along the edges of one element, but the lens is now functional. It would be nice to have a clean copy of this lens to see what it can REALLY do!

Some examples with it mounted on my K5:

-Joe-

Wow Joe.... I'd say you did one heck of a job cleaning up the Sears lens! Your results are looking great! Very sharp, with some mighty fine details in the leaf veins. Congratulations. Nice color, too. If you like 28mm lenses, you might keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a CPC 28mm Macro, also. They can be found quite cheap and produce results almost as good if not equal to my Sears. My copy is very well made. I've been told that CPC is/was a subsidiary of Pentax/Ricoh Corp.
04-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-M 28mm f:3.5 test photos

My "new" 28mm f:3.5 lens came today and I shot some test photos. To my old, tired eyes, it seems to be at it's best at between f:9.5 & f:14. What do YOUR eyes tell YOU?

The focus point was on the flowers to the extreme right. Keep in mind, my eyes aren't what they were 50 years ago, but I think I was pretty close on the focus. Once focused, nothing was changed other than the aperture.

The apertures were, from the top..... f:3.5, 5.6, 8, 9.5, 11, 16 & 22.

Last edited by Dewman; 08-19-2015 at 02:54 PM.
04-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Old Red"

Another with the Sears 28mm f2.8 Macro @ f4:

-Joe-
04-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k0og Quote
Another with the Sears 28mm f2.8 Macro @ f4:

-Joe-
That Sears lens grows on ya', doesn't it, Joe? I figured you'd like it. Nice job!
04-28-2015, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #285
Pentaxian

Rikenon XR 28 2.8